“Excellent Choice for Familes”
Review of The Kimberly Hotel

The Kimberly Hotel
Ranked #41 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Orlando, FL
“Excellent Choice for Familes”
Reviewed 18 October 2006

Our family of four just returned from a lovely 4-night stay at the Kimberly. Our one-bedroom suite was spacious and well appointed, although my son preferred to sleep on the sofa itself rather than the sofa bed. The bed linens, robes and towels were of very high quality. Having a kitchen is a godsend when traveling with children in an expensive city. We were on a low floor on the back, which meant that we had no street noise (a very welcome change from our last stay at a different NYC hotel), but the proximity to the air-conditioning units meant that we couldn't use the balcony. There was plenty of closet space. The bell staff and doormen could not have been better. The location - a fairly quiet hotel-laden street - was excellent as well.
We enjoyed our stay and would not hestitate to return in a minute. Moreover, considering the price of even modest hotel rooms in NYC during the "peak" month of October, I thought we received excellent value for our money/

• Liked — Rooms, location
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
6 Thank DS-FLA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Polish first
East Lansing, MI
Reviewed 14 October 2006

The Kimberly was wonderful. It was full yet I never heard any noise from the hallway. My bed was extremely comfortable; I rarely sleep as well as I did on this visit. The staff was professional. My air handler was a little noisy but everything else was great. They even had Neutrogena products in the room; nice!

• Liked — It was small and quiet
  • Disliked — It was a little farther from the park than I prefer to stay
  • Tips/Secrets — There's a subway stop less than a block away!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank ELHappyCamper
Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2006

My husband and I took our 14 and 16-year old daughters to NYC for 10 days, and I CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL HIGHLY ENOUGH!

I used to travel to NYC on business every few weeks, and finding a spacious hotel room at ANY price can be a challenge. I really wanted the girls to see New York, but I was dreading sharing a cramped space with all of their stuff...I thought we would be climbing all over each other and their 30 pairs of shoes. But we stayed in the Executive One Bedroom Suite at the Kimberly for $420/night, and it was HUGE...king bedroom and nice masterbath, second 1/2 bath (godsend!), large living room/dining room combination with pull-out sofa bed (queen size, I think), fully-equipped kitchen (nice way to save a little money in an expensive city!), dining room that seats 6, balcony with a view of the Chrysler building, and 5 closets. Compare that to any accomodations for 4 in Times Square -- or even an apartment rental -- and you'll see what an incredible deal that is. (Book early...I think they only have one with a second half bath). They also have luxury suites with upgraded bathrooms, but this was very nice and perfect for our family.

Great location in mid-town so you can get anywhere you want to go easily. I highly recommend this hotel, especially for families with teenagers (btw: I didn't think it was possible, but we spent 10 days on vacation with our daughters and never heard "I'm SO BORED" once!....Worth every penny!)

• Liked — big room, location
  • Disliked — the sofa bed was uncomfortable
  • Tips/Secrets — Book EARLY!!!!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank Kersti
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 17 September 2006

Stayed at the Kimberly Sept 11-15. Had stayed at the Waldorf previously but needed a two bedroom suite with kitchenette and this fit the bill. The location is superb; easily within walking distance of any midtown adventure you would want.

Staff: Very accommodating, especially the doormen. Although on arrival, our check in person (the blonde) kept us waiting while she finished a personal call. On departure our doorman had a tough time getting a taxi and walked down the street to Lexington (in the rain) to flag one going south and get it down our way. Room service was generally good; however, we did have to call down twice on one request.

Facility: Know in advance that this is a converted apartment house. Thus the lobby is small and congestion around the elevators (if they are running) is not unusual. The elevators are old and unreliable as has been posted before. One of the two was out of service for our entire stay. The one remaining elevator was over challenged to support both client and hotel staff needs. After the first day, every time we left our room we started making bets on: 1) how long it would take to get one to our floor (the 24th), and 2) how many times it would stop on the way down. The hotel management tried to make amends for the inconvenience and offered a free breakfast at their Ferro’s restaurant for all clients.

Bedrooms are nicely sized and the linens are superior. The bathrooms are nicely appointed; however small. The blow-dryer must be used standing up….my wife did not appreciate this feature. Our two room suite was in need of a really good cleaning and paint job (the breakfast bar had been touched up with paint that didn’t match). Screening of upholstery condition left something to be desired. We discovered one sofa pillow that had what appeared to be vomit on one corner as did part of one sofa cushion…..and it wasn’t fresh. We had a nice balcony with a great open view. It faced the Chrysler building and it was fun to watch the lights disappear in the lowering fog.

The kitchenette offers all necessary items (including corkscrew) and we made a quick trip to the Food Emporium on 52nd and 2nd and the Beekman Liquors store at 500 Lexington to stock up. Note that Beekman only carries high end wines and liquors at commensurate prices. There are no deals. Our doorman later suggested Diplomat Liquors on second, also about two blocks away. The refrigerator/freezer has two ice trays and you should take every opportunity to keep them filled (check whether the freezer setting is on full cold otherwise it’ll take a while for the ice to form). There are no other ice machines available except the one in the basement which is accessible only through room service.

Would we go back? Probably not as a couple. If we had another couple to travel with again and wanted the suite option we’d consider it.

• Liked — Location and suite option
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and elevators
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
25 Thank mariahbay
New Cumberland, PA
Reviewed 15 September 2006

I've stayed in New York many times and thought the Kimberly was the best deal for the money, particularly if you have a family. My sister, two nieces and I had a one bedroom suite with two beds, kitchenette, living room, and balcony (which the girls loved). The beds were very comfortable and the kitchen was well-equipped and convenient for breakfast, quick snacks and "happy hour." I felt we had plenty of room to spread out, keeping in mind that hotel rooms in New York are usually small. A word of caution, however, this type of room is not guaranteed. Another friend and her two daughters were with us and they also had a one bedroom suite, but no balcony and a king bed (although I requested 2 doubles for both rooms when I made the reservation with Express, which is now Quikbook). The only negative is the pull out sofa - it's uncomfortable, but we just requested a bunch of pillows and it worked fine. It's very well located for shopping, sightseeing and the park, with the theatre district about a 10-15 minute walk. The subway is also convenient and taxis are plentiful. The staff couldn't have been nicer, especially the bellmen and doormen. Part of our group was taking the train to DC and they were able to get all of our luggage in the trunk (and young girls don't pack light!).

• Liked — Location, location, location!
  • Disliked — Sofa bed
  • Tips/Secrets — Rates on websites varied, so check around for the best deal
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
22 Thank JCD
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2006

we stayed in a one bed suite with a king bed and seperate living room which had a pull out sofa bed-ideal if you have children as we have. The room was beautifully appointed with a kitchen full of the necessary cutlery etc, and we were most impressed at the standard of the towels and linens but best of all was the fabulous bed which is probably the best we have ever encountered in a hotel. The hotel is in a great location close to the subway on lexington and has a good irish pub just two streets away and numerous coffee shops in the area. The staff were great especially Harry the doorman who made our seven year olds day every time he greeted her with a high five and a hiya princess! We would definitely stay here again as the location, service and standard of the rooms are wonderful for the rate that this hotel charges. I would certainly recommend it to everyone.

• Liked — Fantastic service,quality acommodation,very clean and quiet,excellent location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
25 Thank melsy5
Vandalia, MT
Reviewed 20 August 2006

My family and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The lobby is tiny, but very warm and welcoming. We stayed at a one bedroom suite. The rooms were at a very reasonable price: about #300 per night. They were quite small, like the lobby, but very comfortable. I liked that there was a fully-equipped kitchen, and a nice dining room. The beds were relaxing, but the queen sized sofa bed was too springy and when I woke up, my back was aching. There were great amenities, but the Internet access is a little pricey. (I mean, $7.95 for 24 hours!) There is a printer/fax/copier on the desk too. The service is extremely friendly; they are polite and very kind to children. The dining here is great too. I have tried their breakfast buffet, and it was very good. On weekdays, the breakfast buffet is free for people staying at the hotel, but for outsiders, it is not complimentary. Overall, it was a very nice stay at the Kimberly Hotel.

• Liked — The service!
  • Disliked — The sofa bed.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a one bedroom suite with TWO DOUBLE BEDS.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family