“Great place to stay with reasonable rates!”
Review of Kitano New York

Kitano New York
Ranked #109 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great place to stay with reasonable rates!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I don't usually write reviews, but the quality of the hotel compared to the inexpensive rate was unbelievable. The restaurant, for lunch, was surprisingly good (great salads) and reasonably priced. The rooms were very nice and comfortable with a large bathroom. I slept better than I have in a long time.

The only reason why I didn't give it 5 stars was: 1. smell of smoke in non-smoking room (we opened windows which helped) 2. Fairly thin walls so we could hear next door (used sound machine to take care of this) 3. One unfriendly staff member at front desk-- others were excellent. Bell "boy" was very friendly...I wish I caught his name... very young, fairly tall, dark/short hair.

I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure room is non-smoking and then check it out!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Last weekend we were back in the NYC for a big baseball weekend (Go Yankees!). Our first three nights we were in a fab Airbnb-found apartment in Williamsburg for a far more reasonable nightly rate than most hotels in Manhattan. However, we had to cover one more night of our trip, my friend's offer to stay with her fell through...well, I was scrambling to find a decent hotel at a decent rate at the last minute for our Sunday night. I managed to find the Kitano on bookit.com as a bit of a last-minute deal for $269/night. I'd heard good things about the Kitano in the past, but I think it's beginning to age and falter a bit.

We were early for check-in, and I didn't expect to check into a room at 11:00am. I had resolved myself to the idea of dropping our stuff at the Bell Desk and heading to the Bronx for game #3 of 3. The lady at the desk said she would contact housekeeping to see if something was available. Ok, no big deal, we had some time. She found us in the lobby (beautiful and clean, although hardly grand) and told us a non-smoking room was available on a smoking floor. She assured us if the room smelled to let her know and they would either put ionizers in the room or relocate us. We checked it out and at first didn't seem too bad. I don't know what happened in while we were at the game, but when we returned it seemed much stronger. I don't think I'm crazy because that smell lingered when we returned home and could smell cigarette smoke in our clothes and luggage. In their defense, they did have ionizers in the common areas of the floor and we didn't take up the desk's offer to relocate or add ionizers to our room. I should have also known better than to believe a non-smoking room on a smoking floor would not smell at all. But take this FYI and definitely do NOT stay on a smoking floor in a non-smoking room if that is an absolute must to have.

The room itself was typical in size for a run-of-the-house Manhattan hotel room. The king size bed was comfy, although not as comfy as the bed we had slept in the previous three nights. The bathroom was small but functional--but because I'm easily amused, I fell in love with the heated toilet seat! Seriously--every home in my native Upstate New York should have these for those cold winter mornings!! I didn't use the bidet functions, but it's there if you want it.

The decor is eh... A little dated, nothing spectacular. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants in the hotel--I was craving pizza and we walked a couple of blocks and grabbed some slices and drinks before retiring back to our smoke-smelling 16th floor room with the tush-warming toilet seat.

Overall, I can say I stayed there if it comes up in a conversation. Otherwise, I'll leave it for the next guy.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay on a smoking floor if you want/need a non-smoking room (even if they say the room is non...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rebeccatheornurse
Puerto Rico
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We arrived at the Kitano and, even though we had been assigned a non-smoking room, the room had a strong smell of cigarette. We requested to be changed to another room. The front desk was rude at first and then soften up. We checked two other non-smoking rooms that also had a strong smell of cigarette. We finally found one that had an acceptable smell. We didn't give it a good rate in " cleanliness" because to us clean air is part of cleanliness and the air was definitely not clean or fresh. WIFI was not included in the rate. The room decor was acceptable, nothing wow or nice about it. The beds were double beds and felt somewhat small. Overall, the hotel did not feel as a 4-star hotel. It should be rated as a 3.5-star at most.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you LOVE cigarette smell.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trajan012
exeter, ri
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Context of review = premiere double room booked for 2 nights @ $339 via ipremier site (linked to this from Kitano's reservation site and joined), "bed & breakfast" rate, fri-sun. hubby, wife and 4yr old. since i booked via ipremier, got free internet, and B&B rate included free breakfasts.

got a corner room with excellent views of ESB and looking down 38th toward Madison. i watched the rates as arrival day approached, and modified the reservation a few times to take advantage of better rooms and rates.

spotless and scentless room, very quiet, climate control was spot on, actually had it off most of the stay (70F in the day, 45F at night). opened windows early morning for fresh air, really nice. beds a little soft, and furniture worn, but not show stoppers. the view and quiet worth a million ...

breakfast buffet very good, full american choices, and also miso and salmon on request (my preference). great wait staff.

super convenient location. walked out of grand central, then just a few blocks south along park ave.

great beer joint (mr ginger) around the corner, great wine store toward the east in the 30s, any style of good eats a short walk, bus or taxi away. we did 20min stroll over to the highline sat am, could not have been nicer. we did excellent vegan spot for dinner one night a few blocks south and loved it (im a devout carnivore).

on our list of favorite places for future stays, recommended for good value.

Room Tip: book via iprefer link at Kitano's reservation system, monitors rates, and adjust reservation if...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed here for work trip. I go to NYC a lot and we stay in a different place every time. This was near Grand Central and the bathrooms were large even for a standard room, but otherwise it's boring...especially for the price. WIFI WAS NOT FREE. interior views helped with park ave noise. sleeping area was small with no extra space for suitcases or walking around. Decor is pretty boring. But it's NYC how much time do you spend in your room? Stay here if you have to or get a great deal. neighborhood is a bit boring too but easily walkable to more interesting places (library, bryant park, etc).

Room Tip: Staying here for a good deal, business meetings or to be close to grand central or there are more in...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Jilly_J_Bean
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Great location, close to everything and yet quiet. nice and clean room, we got one with Empire state building view. staff are very friendly. The only drawback is the queen beds feel like double. Would definitely come back next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fan J
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We booked this hotel through Travelocity's "Top Secret" deal and what a deal it was! This hotel was elegant! Our room was clean, spacious, and quiet! The bathroom was large and had heated towel racks! The hotel was located just a five minute, four block walk to Grand Central Terminal so it was convenient to the subway! We stayed five nights and it was fabulous!

Room Tip: Our Travelocity package was for a standard double bed but we asked at check in if a king was availab...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple