“Comfortable Hotel in a Quiet Neighborhood”
Review of Kitano New York

Kitano New York
Ranked #100 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I spent one night in the Kitano on my way home from an international trip. Having previously lived in the city I wanted a quiet hotel with easy east-side subway access (Grand Central is a few blocks away).

Wary of tiny NYC hotel rooms I booked a premier room. I didn't realize I'd been upgraded to a junior suite until now; the check-in agent should have told me as upgrades always make people feel good! The suite looks exactly like the photos on the hotel's web site and is very large for 1 or 2 people. The room was quiet and the bed (and especially the pillows) extremely comfortable. I had no problem getting the room quite cold, the way I like it, and the water pressure in the shower was amazingly powerful. Like another reviewer I appreciated the electric kettle and green tea. (If you want coffee but want to avoid Starbucks there is a Joe's in Grand Central or Aroma Cafe on 42nd.)

The hotel is in a residential area but easily accessible to Grand Central and the Empire State Building on foot; a short subway ride puts you at Union Square or SoHo. There's many great restaurants nearby, including Wolfgang's for steak, Artisanal for a bistro with a huge cheese selection, and Saravanaas in Curry Hill for amazing south Indian vegetarian (81 Lex at 26th - don't go to the imitators).

I didn't interact with the staff too much, the but desk agents and bellman were friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank NYCBeachLover

Reviewed 27 April 2010

In the first week of april 2010 we stayed 6 nights in the Kitano and had a junior suite, with view on Park Avenue, on the 12th floor and great confort. In 2008 we also visited the Kitano. The room was very spacious and we could already use (in April) the airconditioning; the weather was about 24 degrees C. We were like at home. The beds are very comfortable too.We used the great warm and cold breakfast with the very kind staf; they remembered us. The room is very quiet because of the great isolation. The Kitano also has a great location, very near the Grand Central Station. We will choise this hotel next time. We want to recomment the Kitano.

Reviewed 26 April 2010

My girlfriend and I were just in NYC for a weekend of fun. The hotel was great, the location was good, the room was clean and the bathroom was very nice. The main negative was the staff. They were NOT friendly to me or other guests that I saw them interact with. They could use a training course in being nice. Just because you work at a fancy hotel does not make you rich! They acted as though they owned the place.

I think the hotel is great and could be even better with a nice wait staff.

Reviewed 14 April 2010

The Kitano is a beautiful, modern hotel located in midtown near the New York Public Library. It's a short walk to Grand Central Station, 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue and a bit of a walk to Herald Square and Broadway but certainly within walking distance. The hotel is very clean. The lobby is sleek and modern. They offer a lunge type setting with a variety of newspapers and comfortable couches. The service was helpful. The room was a good size for myself and my parents. Larger groups may want to book two rooms. The beds were standard Queen size and quite comfortable. Instead of complimentary coffee, they offer green tea and an electric tea kettle - very Japanese! There are also a complimentary bathrobe, slippers and umbrella. The bathroom was nice and clean and neat. I didn't hear any noise though there was construction in the area. The room darkening curtains look thin but are excellent at blocking the light. My only complaint is that the room was WAY too hot and even turning the thermostat down didn't help. My dad complained about the price of parking but found the hotel valet parking to be cheaper than self-parking garages.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Stayed 5 nights in one of the Townhouse Suites. Room was good, spacious, quiet (for NYC) and had a very nice view of the Empire State building. BUT...amenities were missing (and never replaced when we asked), breakfast was poor and very expensive, staff were either not empowered or not interested in our concerns - all for $4000 for 5 nights. Better value can be had and so sadly, we will not be returning.

Reviewed 10 April 2010

Location location location! Superb... a japanese hotel full of japanese businessness men so quiet -. We have never stayed in anywhere so quiet!

We had a wonderful stay here. We did not eat in - there are hundreds of possibilities local and including Grand Central. The tops was The Bistro - across the road & head left on Park Ave towards Grand Central - I dare you to forget the diet. Wonderful coffees. So yes Kitano fare is expensive. (Pity).

New York again - no hesitation - Kitano!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2010

I used to live in New York City and when my wife and I visit we usually stay with friends. This time we needed a hotel. Through Quikbook I got a very favorable rate ($210/night) at the Kitano. It is a beautiful modern hotel, very centrally located on south Park Ave. a few blocks below Grand Central. Our room was small but attractive, spotlessly clean and with comfortable beds. The bathroom was roomy and well equipped. Most of all, it was quiet -- perhaps the quietest hotel room I have ever had in a city. We were on the fourth floor, facing a rear courtyard. No traffic noise. No noise from other rooms. Of course, we also had no view. To get a view, you would need to be sixth floor or above. But we did not care about the view. The staff was very friendly and obliging. Check in and out was fast and efficient. Breakfast is not included and Wifi Internet is about $10/day. We used the Starbucks a couple blocks away most mornings. I would return, at least at that rate.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple