“Great hotel in a great location”
Review of Hotel Beacon

Hotel Beacon
Ranked #57 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed here for our daughter's graduation. Despite the city being absolutely crazy with people in town for numerous graduations, we felt like this hotel was a great respite from all the craziness. Very friendly staff willing to help any way they can. Only drawback is catching a cab in the morning. Because of how the roads come together, and the number of people trying to catch a cab to get to ceremonies, it was hard to catch one in front of the hotel. Walk 1 block west and you will catch one quicker. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bwdanielson
Write a ReviewReviews (3,921)

Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is a nice quiet upper east side place with large rooms, that is only a few blocks walk to the Museum of Natural History. Across the street is a great Fairway market (grocery store), with excellent prepared foods and desserts. "Better than Whole Foods" says my spouse. It was a business trip for me, and the family came along for the ride to enjoy the city. Beacon worked out perfectly. There's a Starbucks right next to the hotel. The red line (1, 2) metro is a few block south, and there are tons of restaurants nearby. Surprisingly we took a cab from the hotel to a Yankee game on a Thursday night and it was clear sailing, hardly any traffic on the way there.
The hotel is right next to the Beacon Theatre, which hosts smaller shows (Steely Dan in September). There didn't appear to be anything going on the 4 nights we were there, so if shows at the theatre become an inconvenience to hotel guests... my guess is not.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2011

NYC hotels tend to be tiny with a terrible view and mediocre service - this hotel proved me wrong.
Highlights: studio (includes fridge, microwave, quality coffee maker, GREAT view, attentive, friendly service. I paid $235 for a queen bed + kitchenette. King + larger studio would've been around $295 that night.
If you had a spouse + child this would be a good set up, a bit more space than your average NYC hotel and between two wonderful parks, Riverside Park and Central Park.
Great neighborhood and just a few blocks from 3 subway lines.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2011

A friend recommended Hotel Beacon to me. I had already found a great hotel midtown that I always came back to but I decided to go to the Upper West Side for this trip for further exploring. I am so glad I took my friend's recommendation. The Hotel Beacon is a true gem. Perfectly located in the middle of the Upper West Side all the conveniences are very close. The hotel is very clean, efficient and all the staff are simply lovely and informative. Our room was great, the kitchenette was always in use for breakfast which kept our costs down. Our first stay was on the 9th floor in a queen suite and was excellent however upon our return I went with a double suite and we landed on the 22nd floor and I was home ! The view was stunning, the room was larger and I will be requesting this room in the future. The best part of this hotel for me was the bed, you could not get another bed so comfortable that I wanted to pack it up and bring it home. I highly recommend Hotel Beacon to anyone, it is a great find, great location and simply a grat placed that feels like a bit of home in Manhattan.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank perth4me
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My 2 daughters had previously stayed at the Hotel Beacon and were most impressed with the whole experience. This time to NYC (I've been here 7 or 8 times now!) my Travel Agent booked my travel friend and I into the Beacon. We are 2 'mature' ladies travelling on our own and we just LOVED this hotel. Checkin and checkout was pleasant and quick. We were so surprised to find that we were in a 2xqueen bed suite (room #809) that over- looked Broadway (the suite's windows were double glazed so the street noise was no concern). Lots of fellow Australians use this hotel. The lifts were fast to arrive. There was a combined lounge/dining area with a nice sized TV. The beds were comfy (though the air con in our bedroom was quite noisey) and the kitchenette was a bonus (fridge/oven/microwave/toaster/coffee maker and a tiny sink but who wants to prepare a full meal - this is holiday time!) The Fairway Market is just across the road and it is a Pandora's Box of goodies, all to save you the trouble of preparing foods (just pick from their vast array of hot or cold takeaway foods) QUIRKY TIP: We had bananas for 79cents a pound (they are sooo expensive currently in Australia!!) The suite's bathroom was small and always clean, as was the suite and in fact the whole Hotel.... Great staff - congrats to the Management! Our local subway was on 72nd Street at Broadway and also here was a small, well kept garden/park - great for people watching when you weren't rushing around this massive city. Lots of eateries serving differing foods for all budgets are closeby and it is in a friendly and safe area. An added bonus for the traveller is their 7th floor laundry (coin operated and open 24hrs a day!) Also available are 3 public phones on the 2nd floor - just buy a Calling Card and home in Australia is just a phonecall away! There is a large CVS Pharmacy a few blocks north on Broadway. Congratulations to the Hotel Beacon, I'll be back! This hotel ticked all the boxes for my likes!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank gribbsfam
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Loved the location, the staff and the room! We will come back! Always stay on the Upper West when we visit NYC, and The Beacon is now our new favourite hotel :-)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank carinao1
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Just wanted to say thank you for an enjoyable stay at Hotel Beacon. My girlfriends and I travelled to the US last month and spent 10 days in New York. We had a comfortable 2 bedroom suite and we were welcomed with some goodies on arrival. The location was very convenient, very central to nearby shops, cafes and the subway. The staff were also very friendly and helpful at reception!

My parents and relatives have also stayed at the Hotel Beacon several times so I would definitely recommend it to my friends and family!

We will be visiting again hopefully same time next year :)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends