“Not worth the cost”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #338 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I was very dissapointed at my stay. They have no club level rooms. The rooms are the smallest I've ever seen in any hotel. We had to call each day to have shampoo sent to our room. Some outlets weren't working etc. When I mentioned all of these things (and others), they credited my HHonors account with extra points. I realize that space in mid-town Manhattan is at a premium. If it weren't for that, they wouldn't have received even 3 stars.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,610)

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Room was small, which is not surprising. I had a view of a brick wall. The service was poor. For example, the number of towels in my room went down every day. My last day all I had was one bath towel and one hand towel. My business partner was given 3 different rooms. He got tired of moving and stayed with the last one because it was the least worst room.

For $500 per nite, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The room was huge and the bed was very comfy!! The bathroom had a lot of space aswell which made it very comfortable!! All the staff were very friendly and very helpful! They even had homemade cookies out at reception on week days!! The concierge Adam was very helpful and gave us great advice on getting the most out of New York in 5 days!! Great location being about a 10 minute walk from Times Square! Would deffinately stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Woogie13
Marcello M, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Greetings, from the Hilton Manhattan East. I want to thank you for the glowing review. I especially appreciate you taking your time to mention your satisfaction with Adam's advices. I will share your comment with him. The team and I are very happy you had a wonderful time in NYC.
Look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

$14.95 for 24hrs is bad enough, but it is not until you have committed that you find out the charge is per device! Not mentioned in the card on the desk or in the Guest Services Directory (GSD). In this tech world you want it on more than 1 device. And when you are far from home, you want to keep in touch with loved ones. We are in this hotel for a week, another 4 days to go, we want to skype our elderly parents. I expected the small room - without a view, we got what we paid for. But this charge is UNREASONABLE. You shouldn't have to be an Honors Guest to get what other hotels give for free! This is an outdated approach. On other points, I was woken up by hammering and drilling, ongoing as I write, I will find out how long this is going on for. And if you have children - the pay per view was not working yesterday. If you have short listed this hotel and these are deal breakers for you then catch up with my follow up report tonight. Will anything be changed? I think the hotels responses to other complaints have been tepid. However, this guest is still here. What would I like to see? A review of policy, minimum, the charge is per room not device and for bringing to their attention the lack of notification in their GSD and room card - free wifi for the rest of my stay, speak later.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This location used to be the Tudor Hotel, then it was a Crown Plaza, and now it is a Hilton. It's older and it shows. Everything is smaller than you would expect in a big city American hotel and everything is showing its age. Our room's AC had this beautiful habit of making a very loud clunking noise almost every hour it ran, to the point where it woke us up so many times that we ended up sleeping without AC on some very hot nights. We brought this to the attention of the staff who said they would followup and let us know what they found, which never happened. The walls were very thin and we could hear when the room above us was running their water and when other doors on our floor were opening and closing. The shower was somewhat confusing to use and the TV was lacking in channels offered and the ease of use.

On the positive side, the breakfast was good, with all of the usual items and some unique ones, like a vegetable quiche that my wife loved. The bartenders and other staff were all very nice. The location is also good; you are not in the middle of the craziness of Times Square, but within a 15min walk of that and easy access to many of the main subway lines. Would I stay here again? Probably not...while a serviceable hotel, there are too many negatives when compared to other properties in the area like the Hilton and Doubletree hotels in Times Square. Not a bad place, but there are better options available (and that AC noise that constantly woke us up at night was simply unacceptable, as was the (lack of) response from the staff).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NiceGuy6

Thank you for your comments. Yes, this was the Tudor Hotel. As one of NYC landmarked buildings, we have done a great job maintaining its historical charm. We appreciate all of the insights on our property and your thoughts. We will be sharing it with our team and hope to fine a resolution to the A/C noise.
Glad to hear that overall your visit to NYC was good and the location was favorable to your needs. We look forward to opportunity to welcome you in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

The hotel is easy to find if you go in and out of Grand Central. Leave through the 42nd St. exit, turn left, go three blocks, cross the street, and check in. Too close for a cab. One problem was getting cabs from there without luggage... they prefer to go down the street and maybe get a Grand Central person going to the airports.

My room was small, but not terribly small. I had a desk and a chair and a flat screen TV. Clean enough and overlooked an airshaft in which people were doing renovations, so I never opened the shades. Dark. The bathroom was nothing luxurious, but the free internet for Honors guests is always appreciated. I also received a continental breakfast coupon for the morning, which was ample and a nice touch.

There are two banks of elevators and each services a side of the building. Not many rooms per floor per elevator so it was small and mostly quiet. I was shocked, however, that my room was adjacent to the most active linen and supply room in the world. It was entered and used all night, and each time the door was banged shut with little thought to the person paying three hundred plus dollars a night for a small dark place to sleep a foot away. That was disappointing.

I'd stay again if I were pressed for lack of other locations, but this is not my first choice Hilton in NY...

Room Tip: I don't know how to pick one... I guess away from the elevators and supply cabinet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Marcello M, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Greetings from the Hilton Manhattan East. We appreciate your comments. I am glad that you found the accessibility through Grand Central Station so easy. This is a great way to come in to NYC. We are happy that you enjoyed the breakfast and the internet access came in handy. The Team will be reviewing to improve the linen closet restocking procedures and in return reduce the noise to guest rooms.
Hope your visit to the Big Apple was successful and we hope you will give us another opportunity in the near future to welcome you again.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

After a lot of research I booked this hotel for mine and my girlfriend's first ever trip to New York. The hotel is very important to us so we wanted to make sure it was right. We paid just under £1600 for both of us for flights and accommodation from the UK which is about average.

On arriving at the hotel at just after 1300, our room wasn't ready which we were really disappointed about because it messed up our whole day. (We only havd 4 nights there). However, the staff were very appologetic and gave us a complimentary drinks voucher for the hotel bar which was appreciated. Our room was finally ready around 1500. We were on the 18th floor because we'd book a king junior balcony suite. First impressions of the room were brilliant. It was really SPACIOUS despite what other people have said, maybe it was because we had an upgraded room. I tried to open the balcony door but couldn't. I specifically got a balcony suite because we both smoke and wanted to sit on the balcony at night with a drink and cigarette watching over Manhattan. I went downstairs to reception to ask them for the key but the lady said we weren't allowed on the balcony due to City restrictions. I was very upset about this, although she did give me complimentary all you can eat breakfast vouchers and drinks vouchers for every day we were there which I thought was really great.

The bed was huge and the most comfiest bed we've ever slept in, which is what you need after hours of walking around the City. The bathroom was also really spacious and the shower was nice. We had a jacuzzi in the bath tub but never used it. We couldn't hear any traffic noise from our room which was good and we both slept like babies.

The breakfast was really good too. The staff working in there were really helpful and couldn't do enough for us. We like our full English breakfasts so I didn't know if I'd like the continental version but it was just as good. Scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon. They also had fruit, cereal, nuts and pastries.

On our last day we had a big problem with our travel cash card which basically meant we had no money atall. We had $20 and had no money for food or transport to the airport, let alone all our shopping we planned to do. When we had no luck contacting the card company we spoke to the hotel staff which were more than helpful. They tried phoning the company aswell and even let us use their office computer for free which we're so grateful for. One of the lady's even said she would buy us lunch and dinner which was really really kind.

All in all the staff at this hotel can't do enough for you which we can't Thank them enough for. Unfortunately we couldn't leave them a huge tip because of our money situation. From the outside the hotel looks average but has certain old school characteristics which is something I was looking for in New York City. It's in walking distance from Times Square, around 15 minutes. Our room was lovely. The only thing that I was disappointed about was the balcony.

Thank You again to everyone at the hotel. Although we had a few problems which spoilt our stay a bit, you made it very memorable at other times. Oh and nice touch with the chocolates on the pillows and the bottled water is a must after a long day! Thanks.

Room Tip: Go for the balcony suites at the higher floors. They may be more expensive but they're more spac...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathan O
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Thank you for all of your comments. Your feedback is very much appreciated. We will share with all of our associates the wonderful details of your visit the Hilton Manhattan East hotel. We look forward to your earliest return.