“everything very good but the food”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #335 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here many times, location is wonderful, staff is outstanding and delightful. Regular rooms are typical New York, small, but very clean. If you can treat yourself to a suite, roomy, great amenities and worth the extra money. I stay with Hilton a lot so my stay includes a breakfast, the only option is a buffet and it was tasteless, if I had to pay for the breakfast I would have gone elsewhere. Used to be that you could get eggs cooked to order instead of the scrambled buffet but I was told the kitchen was have problems and could not do that, but then how did they cook the scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast and potatoes that were on the buffet. Bar closes at 11pm, pretty early for NYC. Food is not a deal breaker, this is a fine hotel with an outstanding staff and they all work hard at making your stay pleasant and seem to really care.

Room Tip: Suites are very comfy
1  Thank gary d
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Gary D,

I want to thank you for taking the time to review our property. It was great to read how much you enjoy this property and are still willing to stay with us in the future. I certainly will be reviewing this information you provided with the Food and Beverage team to find out what we can do to make this area better. We have a great team here and we want all outlets to be amazing for our guests.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hotel is at the great location, Room has amazing view and nice balcony. Only issue with the room was the water pressure for the shower but this is pretty minor.

WiFi was not free at the rooms and pretty expensive. Even business center was charging for paper, etc. I have traveled fair amounts and this was one of the few hotels that WiFi or basic printing, etc was chargeable. Haven't said that WiFi was free at the lobby.

Service was very average: last day after I checked out I realized that there was a coupon that they happily gave me which enabled me even using WiFi at my room free of charge! I asked for shuttle bus and I was told by concierge that he will call me. It was almost 20 mins late after I followed up with him. Overall not a service I expected from Hilton.

Dear Kamisn,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to send in a review of our property. It does seem like we were not able to meet all of your expectations and deliver you the service we normally aim to provide. It was nice to read you had one of our balcony rooms as they are a true treasure to have in the city. In NYC wifi charges are still the standard in majority hotels and we keep the pricing competitive with the other properties. I believe that we can truly make your next stay with us a better one worthy of a 5 star experience. Should you choose to join us again please feel free to contact me at PSchwartz@tpghospitality.com

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Room was small but to be expected in new york. Pretty central to all tourist things. Very disappointed that both concierges spoke bare to none english. For being a hilton it was very average. Not what I expected and was somewhat disappointed what how much I payed per night.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear courtneylumpkin,

I would like to thank you for your feedback of our property. I am glad to read you were able to enjoy our location. As for our concierge team I will be sure to mark this down and go over it with the third party company Apple Commuter. While they are an extension of the hotel I want to ensure that the people they send over are up the standards of representing a Hilton property. Our prices do vary and especially during the middle of the week as we do a lot of corporate business travel. However we do have promotions within Hilton for cheaper rates that are always around seasonally. I hope on your next visit you decide to give us another chance as I'm sure we can do better to give you a 5 star experience.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Extremely conveniently located hotel. Excellent service. Great amenities. Very helpful staff. Couldn't ask for more. Only (small) downside was check-in was a bit slow. I was offered a room upgrade but I declined as it wasn't ready immediately and I wanted to leave my bag, freshen up and get changed.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Richard H,

Thank you for your great review and we were thrilled to see you had such a succesful trip. Our team works extremely hard to provide the highest level of service to all of our guests. We hope to see you back with us on your next visit.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is a great, comfortable and clean property. Very safe area and a very quiet location. The best part of the hotel is their stafff. Tess at the front desk always has a great smile and is willing and able to help with any requests. She makes my day everytime I come to stay. Maria at the frontdesk is true to top quality Hilton style and is happy to help as well.

Dennis and Mike, the bellman are on their game at all times. Need a cab, no problem, no request will go unfullfilled and a smile and their friendly nature makes it a pleasure to get their assistance.

In the restaurant, Pablo and the other staff greet us with smiles and are quick to get us all the things we need quickly so we can eat and get on way to work.

My only regret is the food. There seems to be issues with the kitchen and my night time meal was really bad. This situation is the only piece of this hotel that i do not like. I wish they would fix it, as it takes away from this great staff and nice property. Sr. Management, can you help with this situation?

Room Tip: The rooms I have had were all very nice, there is a 'quiet section' and I have good sleep ev...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Diane D,

I want to thank you for taking the time to send in a lovely review. It is always great to read about our team members leaving such a lasting impression on you. They all really do work hard and love their jobs. As for the quality of food in the restuarant I will be sure to monitor this situation closely in the coming days as I want to ensure all outlets of our hotel are on the same level of greatness. On your next visit be sure to stay with us again and I'm sure we can show you we have a great restaurant wtih an excellent food selection.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed here in January for a two-week work assignment and returned for my second two-week assignment. Attentive staff. Hilton high quality guest room and common areas. Super location for my East Side office. And special appreciation to Dennis, the smiling doorman, who sets the tone for my day. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear TrishTraveling,

Thank you for returning to us a second time and thank you for taking the time to write this review. Dennis' shining attitude for our guests early in the morning is a great way for anyone to start their day. We expect to see you back soon and look forward to providing you with our consistent high level of amazing service.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I arrived to a very lovely room (504). Unfortunately the room smelled pretty strongly of urine. I was with my sister and because it was late at night and we were tired, we went to bed. The room itself was lovely and the beds very comfortable. Had I had more strength, would have complained and switched to another room. The truth is, by the next day, after the cleaning crew had come through, the smell was now only in the bathroom. I think it may have been the shower curtain. However, the hotel itself was really nice and the staff incredibly sweet. I would definitely stay here again as I loved the location and everything else.

Room Tip: High up room. I had a view of a wall across the way about two feet from my window.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tamar A,

I thank you for sending in a review of the property. I do however want to personally apologize that your room was in that type of condition. We certainly aim to provide a great product to our team. I will be assure to address this with our Housekeeping team so discover the issue with the room you stayed in. I am happy however to see you were able to still enjoy your stay with our great team. On your next visit please feel free to contact us in advance for a special touch on your stay.