“Very nice hotel with very good location”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #340 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Location wise this hotel is very nice. The lady at the reception was really helpful. Ambiance and food was also good. We stayed only for a day but it was a good experience. We stayed on 6th floor and view was really good.

Room Tip: Don't go for room with two double beds. They are really small for those beds.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Harsh C
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear HarryChawla,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to send in a great review of our property. It was nice to read that you enjoyed your time with us given it was very short. We hope soon in the future you will be able to stay longer. Our location is very convenient only 2 short blocks from Grand Central. We have a great team here and we look forward to having you back with us soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed for a weekend and started my trip off with a welcome email from Robert. The email was something I’ve never experienced and was a really nice touch. The stay itself was great with a few bumps along the way. The TV in the room gave me some issues but the staff at the desk was great in helping me out. Kevin was very patient with me and listened which is sometimes overlooked in the service industry. The room itself was a bit small however very clean but I didn’t spend much time in the room anyway. I did not get to try out the restaurant but I should be staying here again soon so I’ll be sure to try and make some time. I highly recommend this hotel for anybody traveling into New York City.

Stayed: July 2014
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear BiancaKrs,

Thank you for the great review you sent in for our property. It was a delight to read that Robert and Kevin were able to take care of you during your stay with us. We will certainly look into this TV matter to have it corrected but I am happy to see it did not stop you from having a good stay with us. We do also have a lot or bigger size rooms depending on the category that you book. We hope to see you back with us in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night whilst in New York on business. The location of the hotel is fairly good and it is a 5 minute walk fro Grand Central Station meaning that if you want to go anywhere that isn't in the immediate vicinity there are good transport links.

I think the hotel itself feels a little old and whilts some attempts have been made to upgrade and improve some parts of the hotel I thought the rooms, bathrooms, corridors and lifts were all showing there age. The room I had was an ok size, it was clean and everything in the room looked fine but it was all just a little tired. I wouldn't say the staff were friendly but they did their job and were helpful and just about polite. The breakfast which is served in the morning was excellent and while it might have been on the expensive side I thought it was good value in terms of variety of food offered, the amount of food and quality.

The hotel also has a fitness centre which is just about useable. It has a few cardio machines and a few free weights / benches. Not a great selection and in need of additional equipment and upgrading.

Overall the hotel is perfectly fine but for the price I think there are many better options.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Andrew1979,

I want to thank you for giving us a very detailed review of our property. Your feedback is essential for us in improving the overall quality of our service and our product. Our short walk from Grand Central certainly is always going to be a very popular attraction to our hotel and our staff however I do feel are very engaging and friendly to all of our guests. On this stay maybe we just missed the opportunity to WOW you. I would love for you to stay with us again in the future so that we can show you we certainly arent just an average hotel. If you choose to do so I can be reached at Pschwartz@tpghospitality.com.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed one night and enjoyed many aspects of the stay. I found the staff friendly and the rooms nice and large, at least by New York standards. The restaurant seemed rather ambiguous, basically a lobby bar with food. Room service breakfast wasn't bad. However, it has the all the makings of a 4-5 star experience for me.

Except.....the elevators, all three of them, smelled badly of urine. A shame for what could have been a charming business stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear C-Way3,

I want to first thank you for taking the time to review our property and provide us with some feedback. It certainly is alarming to read about the condition of our elevators. it is shocking to me as this is the first I am hearing about this and we have not fielded any complaints about them at all. I will however be sure to investigate the matter to make sure if this is actually true we correct the matter. I would certainly love to talk more in detail about this as well especially which specific elevators you had this in as we have multiple sets. I can be reached at PScwhwartz@tpghospitality.com

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at this property twice in the last 4 months once on business and the most recent for a weekend in NYC. This hotel has some of the best staff I have ever encountered. From the Housekeepers walking in the hallways to Pablo and Balal in the restaurant. Isa in Room Service delivered me some tea one morning when I wasn’t feeling well and even called later on to check if I was okay. The attitude here is amazing to see. The location is great only a few blocks from Grand Central and it is very reasonably priced compared to some of the other Hiltons in the city. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank avictoria1
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Avictoria1,

Thank you for taking the time to send in a review of our property. It was great to read that you had such a nice experience with our staff in the restaurant. They all truly do work hard to make sure any guest that comes into the Tudor Bar and Grille leaves happy. Isa has been here for years and it was great to see her mentioned as well. We hope to see you back with us soon in the future.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel is located in a nice neighborhood with great non-touristy restaurants. It is well staffed with helpful people. The ample sized room was quiet. It is a good value for the business traveler. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Addam A,

Thank you for taking the time to send in a review of our property. Our property is in a great location of Tudor City which is away from the busier areas of NYC. We are happy to see you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to have you book with us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I'm a Hilton Diamond member and stay in lots of hotels every year. And I can honestly say that this is the worst Hilton I've ever stayed in. And it comes close to being the worst hotel of any brand I've ever stayed in.

I've always been tempted to stay here because the rates are so low, but I was concerned about spotty reviews online and pictures that didn't look so great. Nevertheless, I decided to finally give it a try recently because I couldn't resist a rate of $179 a night. And I figured that, as a Hilton elite member, I'd at least get one of their best rooms and it would probably be ok.

What a mistake that was. This hotel is old, dingy, dark, and just all-around shabby. Upon check-in, I was told that I had been upgraded to a deluxe king room, but if my room was an upgrade, I hate to think what the standard room is like. My room was tiny, even for New York standards. Although it was a non-smoking room, you could just tell that people had been smoking in there for decades as stale smoke smell emanated from the walls and furniture. The room was very dark with only a very small window that basically looked out onto a brick wall. I tried to open the window to get some fresh air, but you first have to open a "modern" interior window and then outside that is an original crank-style window from the dark ages. That outer window was almost impossible to move, had toxic-looking black paint chipping off of it, and just seemed like something you shouldn't touch unless wearing steel gloves. I could go on, pointing out how bad the room was, but I think you get the point.

The room was fairly clean, but I did find a lot of random hairs in the bathroom. Nothing so bad that I couldn't overlook it. But the water pressure in the shower was the worst I've ever had in a hotel -- I'm talking a trickle of water that just fell straight down from the showerhead.

A lot of things in the room were broken, and given how dingy everything felt, I thought that maybe I was just given a bad room. So I called down to the front desk to say that I wasn't loving my room and wondered if there was something better. The friendly desk clerk told me that all the deluxe rooms were pretty much the same and that I had one of the best. Ouch.

On the positive, I will say that, although I was on a relatively high floor, the elevator situation was pretty good. It always came quickly and it moved pretty fast. But that's pretty much the only positive I can say.

An extremely disappointing stay and I wouldn't recommend that anyone stay here. I honestly can't believe Hilton allows their name to be on this hotel.

A front office manager contacted me after my stay to ask how it went (this often happens as a Diamond member) and I told him about my problems and disappointment with the hotel. He admitted that the hotel "had some issues" and that they are working on them, and he offered me some HHonors points to help make up for the problems I encountered. I appreciated the gesture, but 3 weeks after this promise of points, I still hadn't received them. So I contacted the front office manager again to ask when I should expect the points, and he didn't respond. So I waited a few more days and asked again, but still no response. This guy's job is basically to communicate with guests, especially Hilton elite members, about the hotel and he promised me something and then goes radio silent? Totally unacceptable, but I shouldn't be all that surprised, as this is totally in line with the level of service of this hotel.

You might be tempted to stay here, given the low rates -- but the rates are low for a reason. Don't get sucked in like I did... even at a low rate, I wished I had stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear SFguy24,

I do want to thank you for taking the time to send in a review of our property. It was difficult to read that you had such a horrible stay with us and it is surely not the level or service we look to provide for our guests. While our property itself is older than most we still have a great team working here that takes care of our guests. I do however want to sincerely apologize for the matter with your resolution and I want to assure you it is an oversight on our behalf. The points I did verify have been processed for you and we are working with Hilton to have the matter expedited immediately. I want to hope in the near future you give us another chance as we do have amazing rooms for you to stay in. In the future please contact me at Pschwartz@tpghospitality for any assitance you may need.