“Excellent staff, nice location”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #334 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here recently for the first time. Although my room was a little small, it was well appointed and comfortable for a short stay. But the best thing about this hotel is the staff. Jose, the doorman, greeted me *by name* from the point that he took my luggage from the car to the day I left. That personal touch and our conversations ensure that I will stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear ErikaNW,

I wanted to thank you for your kind words you put into your review. Jose has had quite the impact on our guests and we are glad to have him as a member of our team. His personal service touch is what will help us compete with other hotels. As for our rooms we do have a good amount of Junior Suites and Executive Suites to choose from in case you were looking for more space that are all reasonably priced. We hope on your next visit you decide to stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Hilton New York Grand Central

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I had some work done in my apartment last weekend and needed a quick place to stay that was nearby. I found a very good rate online for this property and had a very good experience. Jose at the front door helped me with my bags and was very friendly. I had a junior suite which was nice and spacious and had a pull out sofa bed for us. The bed sunk in a little which is my only complaint but I was so exhausted I didn't mind, especially since it was a short stay. Each employee that passed me was always polite, saying good morning and asking me how I was. It was very nice staying somewhere where the employees really seemed to care and it made me feel very comfortable. I will most definitely stay here again and will be spreading the word to friends and family that staying at this Hilton is the way to go!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Deemarie1129,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of our property. It is always great to take care of our local guests especially if it is only a short time. Jose is a new team member of ours that is starting to make a great name for himself and we are glad to see he was able to take care of you during your stay. We hope in the future if you were to need any other last minute accommodations you will return and stay with us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I arrived here last Sunday around 5pm for a week of business meetings starting on Monday. I caught an earlier flight on Sunday afternoon and was planning on working from my room on Sunday night in preparation to the meetings. Well... I get to my room and it is a size if a matchbox with windows facing a brick wall and the worst of all - it smells like a bar in the '90s when smoking indoors was ok... It was absolutely unbearable. I stopped by the front desk and told them I would have to be moved. They told me they were all sold out and that I should go up and wait a bit - they were going to send a maintenance guy to get the smoke smell out of the room... I didn't think it would work, but fine... I figured I would give it a try. I went upstairs and tried to open windows while I waited - no luck - iron gates are on windows preventing them to be opened. I take my shoes off - the carpet is wet! I tried waiting a bit and no one showed up. I called again and told them I couldn't be in the room while it smelled like cigarettes... I told them I would leave and wait in the lobby while they "de-smoke" and have them send someone soon. Eventually after another hour or I so of a delay someone goes to the room and "cleans" it - it was even worse than before. Now there was a very strong perfume smell mixed in with the cigarette smell. By that time it is 8pm... I wasted 3 hours that I was planning on working... Anyway, I makes way back down and tell them I have to be moved... After a huge commotion they find me an "upgraded" room, so they weren't really sold out and could have done that when I first checked in. This "upgraded" room was better because it didn't smell, but otherwise - brick wall outside of the window, mold in the shower, fan in the bathroom not working... Horrible, but at least my clothes and hair didn't smell like cigarettes, so that is a plus...

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear KS12-Chicago,

I want to first thank you for bringing these issues to my attention as a room in that condition should not have been placed out for rental. We are a non smoking hotel with the exception of 3 rooms however sometimes guests bypass this rule and we need to have a better process to catch these and ensure our future guests do not suffer. I know our Director of Front Office Robert has been in contact with you and we want to ensure you are willing to give us another chance in the future to show you we are a great hotel. Our intention is to have all of our guests comfortable throughout their stay and we were not able to do that for you this time. In the future please feel free to contact me directly at PSchwartz@tpgcompanies.com

Best Regards,

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was my first time at this property, and I was pleasantly surprised. I booked 2 nights in a junior suite with a balcony. The second night I used points. I did not want to have to change rooms, and I did not have to.
I requested a room with a view of the river. The room had a large balcony with a wonderful view of the East River as I had requested. Suite had king bed (nice linens and very comfortable) also sitting area with sofa. Bathroom was spacious with jaccuzzi tub and a bidet (usually only see this in Europe). As a native New Yorker I found this location great. As a Diamond honors, breakfast was complimentary. I must say it was very good.
The front staff was welcoming and gracious. I will most definitely stay here again.
The only complaint i had, was they only have Starbucks coffee. However, Pablo made me a wonderful cappucino.

Room Tip: room 1812, excellent view and large balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Diopat,

Thank you for taking the time to send in a review of our property. It is always a pleasure for us to host our Diamond members and make sure they truly enjoy their stay at the Hilton Manhattan East. Our property is blessed to have rare balcony rooms in NYC and we recommend that every guest try to stay in one of these rooms at least once. We hope in the future you decide to stay with us again.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My stay at the Hilton Manhattan East was impressive enough, that it actually was the motivation behind me signing up for for TripAdvisor, just so I could compliment them on going above and beyond to exceed our expectations.

I travel constantly for business, and have had my fair share of ups and downs, and "interesting" hotel experiences and surprises. From disappointing rooms and views, to surly hotel staff, I've experienced it all. I can definitely say that my stay at the Hilton Manhattan East was like no other, and their hospitality was unmatched by even the finest hotels I've stayed at.

When I booked my stay at the hotel, I was contacted by the Director of Front Office Robert Ibanez, who sent me a warm welcoming message before I even departed on my trip. I replied back to Robert, to inquire if shipping packages to the hotel was possible, as a previous hotel attempted to bill me a "handling fee" to receive packages. He assured me that there would be no fees or issues, and wished me safe travels.

When my girlfriend and I arrived at the hotel, Maria at the front desk who was full of smiles, gave us a very nice welcome, informed us that we were upgraded to a junior suite, and was kind enough to provide us with two free drink coupons for the hotel bar. Maria was incredibly friendly throughout and answered the questions we had for her. Impeccable service!

During our stay, I needed to store perishable items, and the ice bucket wasn't a good option. While at work, I e-mailed Robert to inquire if we could get a mini-fridge for the room, and before I could even text my girlfriend who was in the room at the time, a mini-fridge arrived for our use. Brilliantly executed, and incredible turnaround time! Great job Robert!

After checking out, I had to pick up a package from the bellman's desk, and get a taxi to the airport. Bellmen Mike and Dennis were MORE than happy to carry a 20 lb package and our luggage to the taxi that they flagged down for us, and load everything into the taxi for us. Delivering kind service with a smile and expecting nothing in return, I wish that every hotel had a Mike and Dennis working together to assist us. Incredible service!

Our stay in NYC was problem-free, the room was perfect, and the hotel staff was more than accommodating. We are seriously impressed.

Thank YOU very much to the staff at the Hilton East Manhattan. We will surely be staying there again in the near future, in fact, we'll be returning in September.

KAM

2  Thank KAM137

Dear Kam137,

I want to personally thank you for sending in your review and we are all ecstatic to see that you were so compelled after your stay to write a great review. We strive to provide our guests with the best possible experience and it was a pleasure to read we were able to do that for you. We have a great team here that is always willing to do whatever it takes to make our guests happy. We hope anytime you travel to NYC you decide to stay with us.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Very attentive and helpful. Particularly want to recognized - The Bellman Dennis and Mike, and Jose' at the lounge. Thanks for making travelling easier.
The front desk staff make check in a breeze and the Hospitality and facility staff ensured the room was perfect

Room Tip: King rooms are bigger.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear SunnyB0y2014,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to send in a lovely review of our property. It is always great to read about members of our team being recognized for their hard efforts. Our Front Desk and Housekeeping team work hand in hand to provide a great level of service and a high quality of product to our guests. We hope in the future we expect to have you stay with us again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We live in Chicago but my husband works in New York, so I frequently stay with him in NY. His favorite place to stay is the Hilton at 42nd Street. And sometimes, he can't stay there, so he is disappointed! Kevin, who works at the front desk, has come to know him well in the 4 years he has been a frequent guest and routinely goes above and beyond to make him and me feel especially welcome. The entire staff is helpful and eager to please. The rooms are clean, the breakfast always good (!!), the bar convivial, and of course the location is perfect!! We love it here. When I'm there and have to ask the bellmen for help, Chris and Dennis and everyone is always willing to hold my bags while I go for a bagel run-- and I find a taxi waiting when I return, so no stress in getting to the airport. The rooms are large enough for both of us to have some space-- something you don't always get in NYC. There's a couch and table for me to spread out and read, as well as a desk and a bench at the foot of the bed. The lighting is good-- in both the rooms and the halls. The closet is roomy and the bath big enough,too. It's a hotel with a very stable and helpful staff in a great location with nice, spacious rooms and baths-- perfect, in my opinion!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lotta-traveler

Dear Lotta-Traveler,

I wanted to thank you for your amazing 5 star review. Kevin, Dennis, and Chris were thrilled to read how enjoyable they are able to make your stay. We value the loyalty you and your husband show us and we are always looking forward to your next visits. We do have a good amount of rooms in our hotel that can accommodate different travelers and we are happy to provide you with our Junior Suites when you stay with us. It will be our pleasure to host you again soon.

Yours In Hospitality,