“Adequate for Business Travel”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #331 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Adequate for Business Travel”
Reviewed 1 January 2010

It is unfair to say that the Tudor is bad- the staff is competent, the location is near public transport, and the rooms are not unclean. For someone needing just a bed, this hotel suffices.
It is the little things- lingering, stale smells from breakfast or past guests, bad lighting in the awkwardly dark rooms looking out to the sides of other buildings- that make this hotel joyless to stay at. WIth prices and services similar to a Club Quarters or a nicer Holiday Inn, I would suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Turkish first
Barbados
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Like most others that were there around Christmas, I was also re-booked there because of "unexpected" renovations at my other hotel.
Well.. the negative : it seems that because of the way the room doors are most ppl tend to slam them to close and that gets to you after a while but luckily you don't hear it too often as they're not many rooms per floor.
That for me was the only negative. The hotel itself is clean, lounge area it tastefully set up and staff have been friendly throughout my stay. The room I must say is surprisingly big for Midtown Manhattan accommodation (Deluxe).... also a larger than expected bathroom. Everything was better than expected and have no regrets for being switched there !!
FYI ... if you have a laptop with WiFi..... search for a signal you're guaranteed to find one that's open rather than paying the hotel access rates.

It's not as close to Time's Square as I've usually been but the bus runs directly in front of the hotel and Grand Central is a short walk away.

Would be happy to stay there again !!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank bajan300
home
Reviewed 25 December 2009

We had booked our room with another Hotel that decided they needed renovations during the Christams season! We we fortunate to be rebooked with the Tudor Hotel. They honored our rate from the other hotel. Each and every time I conatcted the Tudor the staff were very nice, very helpful. This continued to be true from the moment we walked in the front door untill check out. Everyone bent over backwards to help us.

The room was very comfortable. We had requested a room with two beds at the original hotel but the Tudor did not have a double room available. We traveled with my 16 year old grandson and they were gratious enough to waive the $30.00 per night fee. All three of us were satisfied with the accomodations.

I would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank n2cats15
Florida
Reviewed 24 December 2009

We go to the city every year at Christmas so this year I booked a hotel which decided to do renovations right at the holidays so they had an agreement with The Tudor to honor our reservation price. We should have paid more and stayed somewhere else.The room size was typical NY. However, the view in the first room was a wall of another building.Yes I said first room because on the first night the room temperature was SO cold (53 deg. and only one blanket) that we could not sleep. Called maintenance who assured us it was fixed. 20 min. later it was 10 degrees colder.They finally agreed to move us. Oh btw this was during the time NYC got 10 inches of snow (this year) 14 deg. outside. Moved to new room now there is a constant rattling coming from the vents. Not too mention doors were SLAMMED ALL night long. All night! Maid closet just outside room so I am assuming they had no common sense that guests were trying to sleep. Had to call twice for another blanket (room still cold but better than last) Went for shower (need to read directions on wall to turn shower on...being serious it was rediculous) step out of shower NO towels. No where in hotel to buy soda except at bar for 3.50. Coffee in room for two but only one pack of creamer and sugar.Called for more-received one. you are out of luck if you use more than one sugar in your coffee. Location was horrible for us. We like to be near things. Cab ride to G.Village 12.00. Asked Concierge to schedule reservations at Sparks for dinner. Talked me in to the Benjamin Steakhouse telling me it is the same price as Sparks and food is better. HAHA not! Two steaks,two baked potatoes, two salads, one cheescake, one Martini, 20% tip= .211.00 Sparks is way better. Would definitely not recommend this hotel. They made no attempt to adjust bill for having problems with room etc.. We also had to pay to use computer to verify flight reservations and print boarding pass. NEVER had to do this at any other hotel we have stayed at in the city. We will def. stay somewhere else next year. You can get much more at other hotels for the same price.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank TiaNFl
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 22 December 2009

A few years ago I stayed in NY for 3 days during the holidays icluding New Years Eve! I recieved a good rate package! One night we even ate at the hotel, very luxurious!!! My room at the Tudor was small, but a boutique, luxurious room. Very pleasant overall!

Stayed December 2006
vermont
Reviewed 20 December 2009

At first glance the room seemed small (deluxe queen) but once we settled in the room was fine. Clean and lovely decor. The bed was the best hotel bed I have ever slept in. Down comforter and pillows. Stephanie at the concierge desk was the best. She always had the answers we needed and more. Stay away from the bicycle rick shaw people they are ripoffs. The doorman and bell staff was the best. This was the first time my husband and I stayed at the tudor. We will definetly go back!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Mount Pleasant
Reviewed 7 December 2009

As a family we really like the first impression.. The people at the front were efficient, but very very cold. I do understand that we were 2nd class due to me booking it the reservation on Priceline, so I figured I might not be the biggest spender. Little do they know!! We had a good time and overall the stay was vanilla, but did the trick. We travel to the New York city a lot from down south and we wanted to stay at the Tudor again. We book a reservation through the Hotel reservation line in the lobby (Not Priceline) and book another week during Thanksgiving. Me being the shopper I'm, I used my iphone and started looking for some place closer to the Parade Rout and found another Hotel. Better price, closer to parade and new to us. Oh and 4-1/2 Star not 3-1/2. My wife picked up the lobby phone about 1 hour after booking and canceled the reservation. Ok we are not the most responsible and did not write down the cancellation confirmation number, but who figures you are going to need it? Well we did! As we checked to our Hotel of choice for the Thanksgiving week vacation, we noticed later that night a $390 charge from the Tudor hotel. I called and explained the painful story to them and without our confirmation number they would not remove the charge and basically said your SOL!! I talked to the Front Desk Manager and Hotel manager and they did nothing except (Not Return My Call). I was not worried as I called my credit card company and disputed the charge and within 48hours had the money back in my account. They lost 3x. 1 for the $390 - 2 for the lost customer - 3 for all of you who will read this and maybe pass on this Hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family