“One extra day and night in New York”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #10 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We had an extra night in New York due to my boyfriend being hospitalised and missing our flight, so I chose the Hotel Elysee after reading the reviews on Trip advisor. The Hotel lived up to its reputation; the staffs were exceptionally friendly, courteous and polite with a surprise personal visit from the marketing manager to our suite. She presented us with complimentary chocolates and wine. What a lovely surprise. We were also upgraded to a fantastic suite and I have to say I found Kristen an incredible concierge, no question was too much trouble to answer. The hotel is really a fantastic example of consistent care and service and I intend to make it my go-to Hotel for all future visits to NYC. Simply fabulous.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,187)

Reviewed 2 February 2012

To celebrate my husband's 40th we stayed at the Hotel Elysee and it didn't disappoint. We pushed the boat out and had a suite and really enjoyed the old fashioned style and luxury. Highlights were the free wine and cheese reception on a week night in the lounge. This is a beautfully elegant area that serves free fruit and coffee all day. It is a lovely place to relax and read some of the newspapers.
If you are after a great location, quiet, charm and elegance this is the place for you. Although it was quite expensive the fact that there was a free continental breakfast and wine reception made the spending money go further. The breakfast lounge does get busy at the weekend though. Hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Push the boat out go for a suite!
1  Thank farfromhomeReading
Reviewed 31 January 2012

After spending 7 years in NYC, my daughter decided to take a job outside the U.S. We always stayed with her when we visited, but needed to book a hotel for her last weekend there. After reading TripAdvisor reviews, we decided on the Hotel Elysee. The hotel met and exceeded my expectations. The hotel staff was always at the ready to meet any request with cooperation and a smile. The free WiFi is a wonderful perk as it is one of the few hotels in NY that does not charge. It is extremely fast even with multiple users in the same room. The continental breakfast served in the 2nd floor lounge was fresh and served 3 different kinds of coffee, juices, several kinds of pastries and cereals. My daughter dropped her luggage off early in the morning and they invited her to enjoy the complimentary breakfast even though our reservation wasn't until later that night. Upon making the reservation, we had requested a pad on each bed which they had already done. Our 2 double bed room was spacious and had a marble bath. The hotel's public areas are clean and comfortable with fresh flowers and plants. The 2nd floor lounge is open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day which gives you a comfortable place to relax when not in your room. They serve complimentary appetizers and wine on weekday evenings and have coffee and cookies at all other times. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New York on business or for pleasure!

Room Tip: There is only one elevator which makes it slow at times. Book a room at the back of the hotel so it...
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The hotel greatly exceeded every expectation. First, we got in on the Sleigh Ride promotion, saving 20% on the deluxe double room. We arrived early in the am to leave our bags, and the concierge invited us to partake in their complimentary breakfast. We stayed one night, and of course, the next morning, we had another complimentary breakfast. I felt that I was in one of my favorite Paris boutique hotels, but the room at the Elysee was much larger.
I can't wait to go again. The staff was so helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are silent. We stay in Room 121 on the 12th floor. Wonderful.
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My mother was giving my wife and I a night away for my birthday--the first since our son was born. She explained the situation and gave them her contact info, my contact info and payment info. Two days before my stay the ditzy woman called my cell phone and explained that she booked a room and needed to discuss something with my mom. Totally blew the surprise!
When we arrived there was no mention of an apology except "I heard what happened...that sucks." Classy. Then we were stuck next to the elevator. A LOUD elevator. Running all night long.

When we were checking out there were whispers and snickers from the front desk staff and then I heard my name. All them were clearly talking about my wife and I.

I'm sure that if you are a business traveler looking for a place to sleep after business meetings the place would be fine. If you are booking for a special occasion look elsewhere--these people don't understand the concept.

The UES location is convenient.

9  Thank eglicomet
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear Eglicomet,

First and foremost my sincerest apologies; from the moment your review posted I have been investigating the circumstances of this incident. Indeed, your mother called us for a reservation for you and your wife to celebrate your birthday. Your mother wanted to pay for your stay and so my Guest Service Agent discussed with your mother that we would send her the authorization form for the charges and she would return it to us signed by a certain date. When our GSA did not receive it, she only wanted to ensure that everything was perfectly arranged for your stay and that you would not be asked for payment upon arrival. She then knew that she needed to call your mother to remind her to send in the form. Unfortunately, our GSA was surprised when she called the number your mother gave her and you picked up the phone. You can imagine our agent’s shock and dismay when she realized she was talking to you, which you could have easily misconstrued as “ditzy.” Of course, you couldn’t share your mother’s phone number with our GSA without asking, who she was as this was the only contact number she was give. She then felt compelled to say she was calling from the hotel. I can assure you she apologized profusely to your mother and not wanting to escalate the situation, she never enquired why your mother gave us your cell phone as a contact number instead of her number.

After interviewing every single staff member present at the time of your departure and after reviewing our security cameras at the desk, this is what transpired. When the agent who checked you out asked if you enjoyed your stay, you replied with the explanation of the events. When you stepped away, his colleagues at the desk were curious as to what happened, because they could see that something went wrong and they were obviously concerned. He simply shared with them, “That’s the man we blew the surprise for.” I can promise you, there were never any snickers nor any whispering at your expense but I am offering you my apology if you misinterpreted that interaction as being disparaging. As you can see by the wealth of our positive reviews, birthdays, anniversaries and special events are our forte. In the nine years we have been receiving comments on TripAdvisor, only a few others have rated our hotel as poorly as you have here, so I hope that speaks to how committed we are to making our guests feel respected, appreciated and cared for and we truly apologize if we did not succeed with you.

Unfortunately and regardless of the circumstances, we ruined your surprise and failed you. I have already met with everyone and I am looking for ways to improve communication between my staff and our guests before events go awry, which can lead to disappointment. If you would like to discuss this at greater length, please do not hesitate to contact me.

John Avina

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Checked in with my sister and 11 year old niece for a 2 night stay (sister and niece checked in for a 4 night stay) at the Hotel Elysee. We were met by warm and friendly folks, from the doorman and bellman to the people at the front desk. Check in was a breeze and we were quickly shown to our 9th floor, very quiet 1 bedroom suite A small foyer with closet led to the living room (it was a separate room) which was spacious and well appointed in a traditional style. The appropriate amount of paintings and prints were hung around the room, giving it a completed feeling. The bedroom was of decent size, king size bed was comfy. Small but clean and well appointed bath. Service was wonderful since you have to call for ice (no machines) we learned what truly prompt service is. Continental breakfast was served each day 7am till 10:30am, 11am on weekends. Tasty coffee, pastries, bagels etc as well as fresh fruit, cereals (hot and cold) and FRESH squeezed orange juice. The juice is reason enough to go to the breakfast in the second floor lounge. The hotel's location is great, close to good shopping and short cab rides to shows.

We dinned in the hotel's Monkey Bar our first evening. Very pricey but everything was delicious including fun drinks (even mock-tails for 11 year old) and had a fun, hip vibe. I would without question stay at Hotel Elysee again.

My one con was that the room was a bit warm even with heat off and window open.

Room Tip: If you like orange juice....go to the offered continental breakfast on the second floor
2  Thank Baltotrav2
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I spent a 4-day weekend at the Hotel Elysee a couple weeks ago. We experienced wonderful service, from the doorman and front desk to the lovely ladies who coordinated the breakfast every morning. We had a clean, beautiful and large deluxe king room as we needed a fridge and microwave after a pizza-making class we took. The whole hotel was clean, well-furnished but not too stuffy, and we particularly loved the breakfast/club room where we enjoyed hard-boiled eggs, pastries and bagels, lots of fruit...all in a lovely setting overlooking East 54th street. It was definitely worth a splurge for a perfect weekend in New York. Also, it's located very nicely- close to Broadway and the park but not RIGHT in the tourist areas, and only a couple blocks from 2 different subway stations. We highly recommend this hotel!! It reminded us of a couple lovely places we stayed in Europe.