“Another great spot from Library Hotels”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #10 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Martigny-Croix, Switzerland
“Another great spot from Library Hotels”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel with such a friendly accommodating staff before: Everyone was so helpful from the second i walked in the door until I left. My travel plans were messed up because of snow storm Nemo and I was unable to get there on Friday because of airport closings and they were understanding and I was not charged for the night of unused room. The Monkey Bar was wonderful for dinner. And the breakfast buffet was filling and fresh, lots of choices. The only reason I am not giving it five stars is because of the bathroom. The shower head is not very good, the spray is uneven and the water pressure is pretty much non-existent. Plus you have to turn it all the way to hot to get a decent temperature. And the lighting is insufficient for make-up application. But all-in-all, the hotel is great!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Beaupeep99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Booked our trip to New York with friends to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. We all consider ourselves to be well travelled and have stayed in many hotels around the world. The Hotel Elysee is up there in our top 5. We could not fault anything, the staff were so friendly and helpful and did things above and beyond to ensure our stay was special. The bedrooms were very comfortable and spotlessly clean and the hospitality was 1st class from the young ladies serving in the hospitality room. Should we return to New York we would definatley look to stay at this fabulous little hotel.

1 Thank Tracy A
WATER MILL
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Just back from another wonderful weekend at this charming hotel. Very clean rooms. Friendly staff. Great location on east side, but not too far from Theater district. No restaurant but the Monkey Bar is in the same building. Other restaurants, coffee etc. shops nearby. Parking right next door. Reliable and friendly. Continental breakfast in large and friendly lounge (wine/cheese at night too). A great value in our opinion. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Street-side rooms in the front (north) get better natural light, and the rooms in the higher floors...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Dear Peter R,

Thank you so much for choosing the Hotel Elysee and sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. The Hotel Elysee is very proud to be the home of the world renowned Monkey Bar and Restaurant, which is located just off the lobby and has been featured on television, appearing twice on "Sex and the City" as well as many features on the silver screen. The Monkey Bar serves both lunch and dinner and just recently added breakfast service Monday- Friday mornings which is especially nice for Hotel Elysee guests who may enjoy starting the day with a full service breakfast served at their famous red banquettes. Breakfast or any meal at the Monkey Bar can be signed to your room. Currently, our guests or any guest of the Library Hotel Collection’s four hotels enjoy 20% off breakfast at the Monkey Bar. For those guests at the Elysee who prefer in room dining, the Monkey Bar provides room service for lunch and dinner.

Another announcement regarding additional services at the Hotel Elysee is that our complimentary wine and hors d’oeuvres reception is now served seven days a week, just like our complimentary Continental Breakfast which is also served in the Club Room on the second floor of the hotel.

John Avina
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

If I had known it was going to be so noisy I would have stayed in a big hotel so I would not be close to street level, 4th floor. I haven't slept since 2:30 am, it's now 5:30 am! Travelling from Australia, jet lag doesn't help but try sleeping with the wind wailing between the buildings.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Sonia C
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Dear Sonia C, .

I was saddened to read about your experience during your recent stay with us. I apologize for your obvious distress due to the noise you experienced in your room. I noticed that you chose our Street Side Superior room category at booking, which offers a fabulous discount for those who feel comfortable booking those rooms on the lowest floors facing the street. As stated on our website, the Street Side Superior rooms are located on the 3rd & 4th floors on the street side of the hotel. For future guests, if you feel you are a light sleeper, it is best to choose a Deluxe Queen, Deluxe King or Suite and advise us in advance that you prefer a higher floor. The Street Side Superiors are ideal for those who like our fellow urban dwellers, have developed a tolerance for the hum of the city. On the night of your stay, I see no record of you contacting the front desk, nor were there any noise complaints from any of our other guests. Had you mentioned your discomfort, my very kind and attentive staff that evening would have welcomed the opportunity to offer you some relief on the spot. We have a variety of options including SleepPhones, ear plugs, SoundSpa or placement into a different room, which we are always willing to do, whenever our occupancy allows. Please keep in mind our next type of rooms, categorized as Deluxe, which are located throughout the hotel and offer our guests the flexibility to request a room on the back of the building off of the street or on a higher floor. It is our goal to make sure that each of our guests fully enjoy their stay and sleep soundly with us and again, we appreciate that each person has a different threshold to noise. Also, I do understand there may be some reason why you did not notify us and It is because of this, that we are in the final stages of implementing our new Sleep Program. This program is designed to maximize our guests’ comfort in “The City That Never Sleeps” and will include a variety of sleep aids, mentioned above as well as bedding enhancements for greater comfort. I do see at your departure time, that you mentioned not wanting a room facing the street. I do hope this means you will give us a second chance and if you would like to speak to me at anytime, please feel free to contact me personally. Ensuring our guests comfort is our highest priority and I would be honored to ensure you have the best experience suited to your personal needs. .
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I wrote a review of Hotel Elysee last summer after my daughter and I visited. My husband and I just returned from a 3 day trip to celebrate my birthday. I was a little nervous, since I had talked about how much I loved this hotel - would it live up to my expectations a second time? Yes, and MORE! First, we were upgraded to a Jr. Suite. Where the Deluxe rooms are a bit small but perfectly fine, the Jr. Suite was huge. There is a sitting area with a sofa, a couple of chairs and a coffee table, and a non-working fireplace that makes the room very cozy. The bathroom was also large and comfortable, with a tub/shower and pedestal sink. An extra shelf makes for plenty of room for makeup kits. The beds are comfy, with nice linens and pillows. Again, the lounge was my favorite part of the hotel. It's just such a comfortable place to have coffee and read the paper in the morning, and it was never crowded. The guys at the front desk were helpful before we got there in helping us with dinner reservations. All of the staff is friendly, and provides excellent service. I'll say it again.... I'll be back!

Arizona
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Celebrated a special occasion right before Christmas at Hotel Elysee. Everyone from the Front Desk, Bell Desk, Housekeeping and those wonderful people who staff the hospitality room took it upon themselves to do a little something above and beyond the call of duty to make our stay that much more special.

Our room was large by New York standards, and extremely clean. There was even a real closet with plenty of room to hang everything, which I can't ever recall having had in my prior rooms in NYC. Even the out of the way places under the furniture, etc., were dust-free, and Housekeeping did a great job of cleaning and refreshing every day.

The food at breakfast was really very good. Just enough coffee and a pastry to get one going in the morning. Staff offered to make us espresso drinks and toast our pastries if we wanted. We also took advantage of the evening prosecco and cookies (boxed cookies, but fairly good ones) - also a great way to kick off an evening.

The best part is that we didn't have to pay 5-star prices to get the 5-star room and service. We later found out some friends of ours were in NYC at the same time as us and stayed around the corner in a well known prestigious property. They had nothing but complaints about their room and service, at almost twice the price. Hard not to act smug during a conversation like that.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Perfectly located on 54th between Madison and Park, Elysee is a very friendly hotel with staff who are genuinely interested and helpful. I was lucky enough to have rooms with balconies on both recent stays which makes the room much bigger and provides an ideal location to relax or work.
Breakfast and the wine and cheese in the evening are included, along with free wifi, making the rate very competitive.
I would highly recommend this hotel for business or vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business