“I know New Yorkers are not early birds, but”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #8 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“I know New Yorkers are not early birds, but”
Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

I recently returned from a short business trip to New York City, and since I needed to be in mid-town, the Hotel Élysée was in a perfect location. The reviews were pretty consistently excellent so I decided to book a room. When I arrived, I was upgraded to a suite which was absolutely beautiful. This review would be 5 star but for one feature. It has been many many years since I was in a hotel where it was impossible to get a cup of coffee before 7:00 a.m. I know New Yorkers are not early birds, but travelers are from every where. I am used to getting up early, and particularly so when I have to give a presentation in the morning. Around 10:00 p.m. I realized there was no coffee maker in the room. That in and of itself is a real negative in my book. So I called the front desk and asked if room service could deliver coffee around 6:00 a.m. No, room service was not available before 7:00. I was told coffee was available with the continental breakfast, also beginning at 7:00. I know this is a small matter, but important to me as a traveler. If the hotel can update itself to accommodate a 21st century traveler, I'd be happy to go back. If not, I'll find another mid-town hotel.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RT0625
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear Rick0625,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Elysee and for sharing your feedback with us. I was disappointed and saddened to hear that your simple request was not handled properly. Not only do I apologize but I am pleased to share with you how this issue has been resolved. Thanks to your feedback, we will now open our Clubroom at 5:00 a.m. and coffee will be made available for any guest wishing to enjoy it either in the Clubroom, as Room Service or to go. Also, I have made a note in your profile that you enjoy having a coffee maker set up in your room prior to arrival. For all of our friends at TripAdvisor, we do have coffee makers available upon request. You can add them to your reservation when you book through our website or contact one of our Concierges. Coffee makers are one of the signature items listed on our Essentials Amenity Program, which debuted earlier this month. This program lists many complimentary items, like toothbrushes, razors and combs – common items one may have forgotten to pack. This program also coincides with our Escape to Serenity Sleep Program, designed to enhance your sleep experience and also to provide items like Sound Spas, Sleep Phones and earplugs for those having difficulty adjusting to the vibrant hum of the city. I am grateful I had the opportunity to speak to you personally. As a follow up to this review, we are well prepared to take care of your request in the future. We are pleased you enjoyed your suite and the location and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

John Avina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Chelsea, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I second all the positive reviews already given. Location, quiet, good beds, spacious room, professional, friendly staff, the club room experience - all add up to a pretty ideal hotel stay. Airport transfer arranged through the hotel was a great convenience. Hot tea in the club room at the end of a long day a perfect pick-me-up. A glass of wine and snacks before the theatre the perfect way to,start an evening.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This was our first time at the hotel and we were very pleased with how accommodating the staff were. We arrived several hours before check in but were shown to our room immediately and were upgraded to boot. The room was large and comfortable. We enjoyed the free internet and breakfast/coffee in the clubroom. We were also given a very late check out. The staff were uniformly pleasant and kind.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Mendocino, California
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Everything was first-rate, from the warm welcome after midnight arrival, to the room. The breakfasts and afternoon wine were relaxing and lovely. We loved the people, the location, and the experience. We will most definitely return.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2013

As always, a great stay at a very friendly hotel. It is a small European style hotel with personalized service and it is very centrally located in mid-town Manhattan. The rooms are a very nice size which isn't always the case in the city.

1 Thank l_g040
Fresh Meadows, New York
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Wonderful niceties in comfortable rooms, cordial & caring staff, superb location, pocket pleasing cost, wine hour, all day coffee, continental breakfast, the classic Monkey Bar,.... what more can one add? It's our choice for stays in New York City.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Our second stay at the Elysee, which continues to be a terrific NYC hotel. Friendly, gracious, very helpful staff. We hit NY just in time for a blizzard and, being from Texas, needed footwear for the weather. The young man at the desk noted that he had seen galoshes at a shoe repair shop--just the thing! Lovely, large, quiet room, not much of a view but who cares when they supply chocolate and you're in NY! Good-sized, modern bathroom. Close to the subway. Wonderful breakfast in the club room--cut-up fresh fruit, bagels and bread which the friendly staff with toast on order, fresh juice and great coffee, plus newspapers. Cookies and coffee available all day, as well as wine and cheese every evening. The front desk arranged a car to Newark for our return home, $101 including tip--scarcely more than a taxi and all arranged in advance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall away from the elevator.