“Your own private club in NYC” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #9 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Litchfield, Connecticut
“Your own private club in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

The Hotel Elysee constantly makes you feel like you're returning to your own private club in the city complete with a staff who is happy to wait on you. The reception area of the hotel is elegant and ample in size but still intimate. The lounge rooms on the second floor become your own study and living room, complete with a staff to prepare you drinks and hors deourves in the evening and a paper and breakfast in the morning. At other times of the day, there are always coffee, tea and snacks.

At the end of a day of shopping, museums or whatever, it is so nice to enter the second floor lounge and unwind in a stuffed chair with your family or friends over coffee, wine or champaigne. (All inclusive.)

The hallways, rooms, everything is elegant. As many have mentioned, I can't imagine better service.

(Wish I could live here.)

Room Tip: There is street noise on 54th Street. It doesn't bother my sleep but if such noise does bother...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

If you are looking for a home away from home go no further...this is the place to stay in NYC. The staff from the doorman to the front desk, to the refreshment staff and the chamber maids are polite and interested in serving you. They have great attitudes. The room was as clean as could be and very pleasant. The breakfast and afternoon snacks were delicious and served in a beautiful setting. My only complaint was the firmness of the mattress however the staff placed two feather toppers on the mattress to make it a bit more comfortable on my back. An excellent hotel that deserves to be recommended and I will stay there if I return to NYC>

Room Tip: There is some street noise being NYC so you may request an inside room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Navesink, New Jersey, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Very nice, great staff. They don't try to squeeze you for add ons like other hotels. Free Wi Fi and nice complimentary breakfast. You are a few blocks from some of the nicest areas in the city. I will certainly return. Very clean and very upscale looking.

Room Tip: You are a few blocks from some of the nicest areas in the city. And away from the tourist mobs.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

I have frequented this establishment for over 30 years. The recent upgrades have not detracted from its bygone era charm.. The guest rooms remain elegant, lounges inviting and service close to impeccable... A NYC old time haunt that let's me feel as though Tennessee Williams is still at the bar... The prices here are at an all time high as my "City" is getting so expensive to play in these days... Those were the days...

• Stayed October 2012
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Great location - lots of restaurants,shopping and subway station close.
Monkey Bar and Restaurant good value
Bed comfortable
We will stay here again.
Only has a single elevator and it is busy at times

Room Tip: Make sure to request a bath if this is important to you,some rooms just have showers.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Many of my Colleagues recommended I stay at the Hotel Elysee, for my last business trip to NY, now I know why. Not only was it close to my meeting, buts the Staff was amazing and the room very comfortable!!!! I arrived late and the restaurant was close, the Staff volunteered to order take out and charge it to my room. I could actually relax after a long flight. Thank you for taking care of me.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed at The Hotel Elysee for 11 nights with my mum in August. We chose the Hotel Elysee because of it's rating on travel advisor (although after our experience we would not rate it so high). Lets start with the room, we stayed in a twin deluxe room.The room was a good size (and I think fairly large for New York standards), the bathroom had a bath and was nicely decorated-no complaints here. I had requested a room with a balcony when i booked and paid for the hotel three months prior and the hotel stated that they would put a note on the system but were unsure if they would be able to accommodate our request-they didn't and we didn't end up getting a room with a balcony, a bit disappointing considering how far in advance we booked but hey, not a big deal. Our room view was non-existent, we had a very good view of a brick wall but at least it was quiet.

The breakfast in the morning was good, we would go down and have a bowl of fruit before heading out for the day and the wine and cheese reception was also a plus (although it should be noted that the cheese is the processed kind-no brie or anything so don't have too high expectations or you will be disappointed). the wine was good and the staff were very sweet and friendly. The hotel also only has one elevator so it means that at peak times you are waiting extended periods to get to your room, or down to street level.

The hotel itself is in a brilliant location; right near fifth avenue so we saved heaps of money on taxi's.

The hotel staff is what really let the whole experience down for us. Some hotel staff (like the young Asian women on the front desk) were friendly and helpful and others were so appallingly rude i could not wait to get back from my trip and write a review about them and warn you all.
There was many occasions where staff were rude but one example one is when we asked the hotel to arrange for us to see a doctor (my mum was very unwell) and the man who picked up the phone on the front desk was so rude and unhelpful, when I was asking questions about locum Dr's. I actually did a double take and was like "whaaaaat?" I was shocked, I actually confronted him about his appalling attitude and reminded him that i was a guest in his hotel-he didn't seem to care much.
From that point on my mum and I tried to avoid the hotel staff as best we could. It was like Russian roulette you didn't know if you were going to get one that was friendly or rude. Let me tell you my fellow Aussie's the customer service is nothing like what we get in Australia-be prepared for staff that are rude and unhelpful and too lazy to go out of their way for you (and believe me we tipped well).

Would we return? I'm not sure. There are so many other hotels in NYC i think we would probably roll the dice with another hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AussieCossie
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear AussieCossie,

Thank you for your forthright review and your feedback. The kindness and professionalism of our staff is something we take great pride in. I would like to have a more in depth discussion with you to understand your perspective on where we might have failed to provide you with our signature hospitality that every guest deserves. The one example you offered was your request for a house call from our doctor on call. I am terribly sorry if you interpreted your exchange with my Night Auditor as rude or unhelpful. There is nothing more important to us than to assist our guests when they are not feeling well and so far away from home. My Night Auditor mentioned you were most upset with the cost of the house call. He mentioned that you did not wish to pay more than $100.00 and unfortunately in New York City, particularly after midnight, we are unaware of any doctor who would make a house call at that price. I wish we could set those prices but unfortunately it is not something that we can control. On the positive side, we have been working with our house doctor for nearly 20 years and hold him in the highest regard. We see the value when he offers our guests his expertise, flexibility, and dependability. I am glad that he was able to tend to your mother so promptly, even with a call after midnight. Thank you for commending our Guest Service Agent, Rubi and although she has only been with us a short time, she is incredibly talented and is as friendly as she is efficient and we are pleased to have had her join our team. I am distraught to hear that you felt you needed to avoid the front desk staff, as I believe you would have found they are all wonderful, caring individuals. As you can see from the wealth of the positive reviews we receive, guest satisfaction is of our utmost concern.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed not only the size of your room but its décor. You are correct, as indeed, you were placed in our largest deluxe room with two full sized beds. We arranged this particular room for you and your mother because of your long stay. Unfortunately, there were already numerous requests ahead of yours for the one room with a terrace, since many guests book up to one year in advance. I completely sympathize with your disappointment; however, since we have only one two bedded room with a terrace, even booking four months in advance cannot guarantee that we will be able to meet that request. For the benefit of future guests and our fellow TripAdvisor members, there are only 4 terraces at the Hotel Elysée. That includes one deluxe room with a queen bed, one deluxe room with a king bed, one deluxe room with two full sized beds and one Presidential Suite. Our 100 rooms are nearly sold out every night and nearly 1 out of 3 reservations we receive at the hotel requests a terrace, so you can imagine how we feel having to give so many guests such disappointing news. Because of your feedback, we have decided to create a new room category for the terraces so that they can be guaranteed in advance; therefore, hopefully eliminating so much disappointment. Also, you mention having a view of a brick wall. Since we were one of the first buildings erected on our block back in the early 1920’s; sadly, we have been eclipsed by taller buildings lessening our views of the city. Your comments and opinions regarding continental breakfast and our wine and hors d’oeuvres were noted and discussed amongst my management team and I am glad you found our breakfast to be adequate. Regarding our cheese selection, please understand that we have to appeal to a wide audience whose tastes and expectations are greatly varied and it can be difficult to satisfy each and everyone. In the past we served Brie and due to your comment I will bring it back for another try. Lastly, I am pleased to hear you found our location ideal, you are correct we are close to many of New York City’s most popular attractions, like St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, MoMA, Central Park, and the fabulous shopping along Fifth Ave. If you are interested in giving us another chance to show you the full level of the gracious service we are known for, I would be delighted if you would contact me personally to arrange a future stay. Should anyone in the TripAdvisor community have any questions regarding these issues, please feel free to contact me personally at john@elyseehotel.com and I will be pleased to assist you. We have had great feedback from the vast majority of our Australian visitors and we hope we will get another chance to prove that to you first hand.

John Avina