Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #10 of 466 Hotels in New York City
East Hampton, New York
“Heaven”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Locted in the best pat of midtown Manhattan on 54th Street between Madiaon and Park Avenues, the Hotel Elysees knows how to treat its guests. The front desk is welcoming, the accommodations luxurious without being "over the top", the lounge where you can enjoy a complimenrtary breakfast and complimentary cocktail hour is perfect for unwinding. Moreover, it has a goodly selection of newspapers, magazinesz, books and xcomplimentary computer access. Who could wish for more?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank plr2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (871)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 September 2013

From Arizona to Alaska, from California to Connecticut and the many places in between, this is one of my favorite places to stay in the United States. This was my fourth time staying at the Hotel Elysee and the only problem I have in reviewing it again is trying not to sound too repetitive or saccharine. Read the five star reviews; I think they are very acccurate.

Suffice to say, this place combines the warmth and friendliness of a gracious B and B with the privacy and amenities of an elegant hotel. The closest I can come to describing The Elysee is that it is is a hotel with personality, a hotel with a refreshingly cool vibe, and a hotel with an understated sophistication minus any sense of pretension.

Yes, the location is great, the rooms are very clean, the club room is the perfect place to regroup, and the breakfast and happy hour are thoughful touches; but, it is the staff who makes this place so special and welcoming.

I very seldom take the time to review the places I stay, but I feel this one deserves special recognition.

Helpful hints? Well, I would opt for a king rather than a queen. The rooms in the front that face 54th St. are fine.....nice cityscape. However, if noise bothers you, wear eyeplugs or ask for a room higher up or in the back. The neighborhood is quite safe. A major subway line is about four or five blocks away. (I think that the subways are a safe, effective way to get around the city.) I have also found that most New Yorkers are wonderfully helpful.

The most reasonable rates seem to be offered on Sunday nights. Also, rates vary depending on the month. But, whatever the day or month, don't miss this wonderfu place.

The only downside is that I am still looking for a restaurant near the hotel that matches the ambience of the hotel. Great food......no attitude.

Room Tip: See review.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank carolineb98
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Elysee. It was just right for a romantic weekend. It is central, well-staffed and had comfortable amenities. The only downside was our room had a louder-than-desired heating/cooling system. We quickly got used to it and had a lovely stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DancerGirl2008
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Elysee is a small hotel with excellent service in every way. Ask for a room with a terrace. A quiet way to spend your evenings with a drink in your hand. There are lots of great restaurants in the area and you can walk to 5th Avenue in a few minutes. So you have a wonderful hotel in a wonderful area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DonS29
Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The hotel is in an ideal place for visitors to NY being very close to Central Park and therefore both museums galleries and a bit of retail therapy. The staff were very friendly and efficient and rooms comfortable and well equipped.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony. A treat in NY
1 Thank Hascombe
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I read the reviews and was so excited about my stay at this place. To me, service is what makes a hotel great. I did find good service at times, but I was surprised at some problems that were service related.

I booked the hotel and requested an early checkin. I was told they would work hard for an early checkin, but if a room wasn't ready I could leave my luggage while we explored the city. Ok. So we arrived early (10:30) and the room, of course, wasn't ready. We walked Central Park and explored, and came back to the hotel by 2:00. The room was still not ready, but they said they would bring us the key in a few and that we could wait in their lounge. By 3:00 the room still was not ready, even though we had seen several people already get into their rooms. At 3:10 I went downstairs and they said, "Oh yeah, it's just now ready." Not only did I not get an early checkin, I ended up with a late checkin. No apologies, no consideration...nothing. Now, considering checkout was 1:00 and we didn't get in until after 3:10, it tells me they couldn't get the room cleaned in less than 2 hours and 10 minutes.

This punished me later, as we left our car when we went exploring that first day. When we checked out Monday at noon THEY CHARGED US AN EXTRA DAY because we left the car at 10:30 and we checked out at noon. We couldn't get into our room on time, but they had no problem charging me when I kept my car an extra 1.5 hours in their parking lot. They didn't warn me in advance...they just charged me. I don't consider that the type of service this hotel seems famous for. Even moderate hotels wouldn't count minutes like that, especially when we got into the room late because of their error, not ours.

Otherwise, it was fine, and the people at the front desk would help in many ways. I think there are problems with the room cleaning and other things too...cleaning seemed very slow for all 3 days we were there.

The fact that you're paying $350 a night should mean that you get the very best of service. I'm surprised at how many issues there were.

Oh, and breakfast is a continental breakfast. Juice, danishes, cold cereal. For a hotel trying to be a 4- or 5-star, they can do better. The location has no view, so all they have is service. If they fail at that, there's no reason to stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure you count the minutes for parking...they are.
4 Thank SuperFlyTNT2011
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear SuperFlyTNT2011,

We agree with you completely. No matter what you are paying every guest wholeheartedly deserves the best service. I am terribly sorry to hear if we failed to satisfy your expectations on your recent stay. I looked into the situation and to be fair, I do see you requested an early check in. Our Guest Service Agent did indeed offer you upon your arrival at 10:30am the option of a Deluxe Room with a King bed at no extra charge. According to our records you decided to pass on that opportunity and indicated that you preferred to wait for a room on a higher floor facing the front. Is this incorrect? I see that the keys were handed to you at 3:07pm which is a few minutes after check in time and for that we apologize. I know it is hard to understand the challenges we face at the hotel, especially when you are not part of the industry. We try to make it look effortless but our dedicated and hard working housekeeping team actually had to get 26 rooms ready for our 3PM check in time on that particular day. Unfortunately, to complicate the matter, the room you chose to wait for had an issue that required special time and attention before passing the manager’s inspection. Just as we strived to get your room ready by 3PM, we must do the same each day for all of our arrivals. In the future, if you or the any other traveler reading this would like to highlight your room for the earliest available cleaning time, please feel free to use the service sign located on the inside of your door handle.

While we do not own a parking garage, we are very grateful to have a garage next door that cooperates with us and provides a discounted rate exclusively to our guests. We do not have any say with regard to setting their prices or policies but if you feel this was not communicated properly, I offer you my apologies. I can assure you the pricing for the parking was not designed to punish you and I am deeply saddened to hear you feel that way. The price for non-guests at the same garage is $61.00 for up to 24 hours, unless it is an SUV or larger vehicle. As you can see, guests of the Elysée are offered more than a 50% reduction in price. Typically in NYC, a hotel’s garage arrangement is based on 24 hours without the ability to remove your vehicle during your stay. If you choose to do so, a new cycle will begin when you return your car. I will instruct the staff with tips on how to better communicate this pricing structure to those gusts arriving with a vehicle. Unlike many four and five star hotels in New York City that will charge $50-$100 for continental breakfast for two once you include the tax and service, the Elysée along with our sister hotels do provide an array of complimentary refreshments in our clubroom throughout the day, including continental breakfast each morning, a three hour wine and cheese reception each evening and coffee, tea, cookies and fruits throughout the day. Specifically, our signature continental breakfast includes hot oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, fresh fruit salad and whole fruits, assorted croissants, mini-muffins, assorted scones, Danishes and pastries, bagels with cream cheese, peanut butter, Nutella, preserves and butter, fresh orange and grapefruit juice and yes, assorted cereals, coffee and teas. Should you want something heartier, some of the most remarkable breakfast and brunch experiences are available nearby and our concierges will be glad to help you find exactly what you are looking for.

John Avina
Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The Hotel Elysee constantly makes you feel like you're returning to your own private club in the city complete with a staff who is happy to wait on you. The reception area of the hotel is elegant and ample in size but still intimate. The lounge rooms on the second floor become your own study and living room, complete with a staff to prepare you drinks and hors deourves in the evening and a paper and breakfast in the morning. At other times of the day, there are always coffee, tea and snacks.

At the end of a day of shopping, museums or whatever, it is so nice to enter the second floor lounge and unwind in a stuffed chair with your family or friends over coffee, wine or champaigne. (All inclusive.)

The hallways, rooms, everything is elegant. As many have mentioned, I can't imagine better service.

(Wish I could live here.)

Room Tip: There is street noise on 54th Street. It doesn't bother my sleep but if such noise does bother...