“Hotel Elysee is the pure definition of a small boutique hotel.”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #10 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“Hotel Elysee is the pure definition of a small boutique hotel.”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My wife and I stayed a few nights when our son was graduating from Columbia University. The hotel was out of the extreme hubbub of the city yet close to everything. The staff was superb, the hotel was spotless, the atmosphere was sophisticated. The Monkey Bar was classic Mad Men New York. We will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This wonderful boutique hotel is conveniently located in midtown steps from great shopping and dining. This was our second stay there and we enjoyed the friendly guests that we met at the afternoon happy hou. Breakfast was more than adequate for our needs. The staff is wonderful and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: I didn't love my pillow but everything else was fine.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Elysee. Location excellent and really friendly, plentiful and helpful staff which you wouldn't necessarily have found in a larger, more formal hotel.

Downsides for us: noisy, old fashioned, air conditioning which was difficult to control. Although the breakfast system is good, spaces are limited.

In our room,52, no shower/bath rail so hard to get out of the bath for this averagely fit 62 year old! My mother in law's room, number 50, was better laid out.

In a hotel of this age room sizes will vary so one makes allowances but the management should note the handrail issue.

Overall would recommend the Elysee for anyone wanting a great location and an informal setting.

Room Tip: We took quiet rooms on the back but views were of an office block so maybe rooms on the front would...

Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The customer care given by staff at this hotel is excellent! When I made reservations for our stay,
I spoke to Graig Sammis and he is a standout in terms of welcoming, warm and customer care oriented. I was with my 24 year old daughter and a family friend who is 13. We had a suite and it worked out beautifully, We were very comfortable with the 13 year old having her own space on the pull out couch. The suite was very clean as is all other areas of the hotel. The room where drinks and breakfast is served is a lovely touch. Our room was not quite ready when we arrived and we enjoyed coffee and treats in this lounge which is beautiful. Breakfast was nice but not special. I think that more could be done to make the breakfast better. The hotel is decorated in a very traditional way with antiques and is lovely. I prefer modern looks but can say that the elegance is lovely at Hotel Elysee. The location was very convenient; we walked home from seeing a show on broadway and loved stopping at Rockefeller Center. It was an easy walk home. I highly recommend Hotel Elysee.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Barbara S
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We booked this hotel on friends recommendations and we were not disappointed. I must admit, it is quite a bit smaller than the website looks but the added touches are what makes this hotel a little gem in the heart of Midtown. This was our first trip to New York and wanted to make the most of it. To be honest, it is pricey, but so are most of the hotels in the area (ones that I would stay at) and all the others were lacking in the extras provided by the Hotel Elysee. Firstly, we requested a higher floored room (at others suggestions) and were given one on the twelve floor. It was great. No view, but high enough that traffic noises were hardly noticed. When we first walked into our room, I was a little taken aback by how old it felt...well, it is older and the floors did creak a little, but honestly, we were hardly in our room other than to sleep and change for dinner. The rest of the time we walked and walked and walked.
The little extras provided for this hotel included a continental breakfast bar with pastries, coffee, tea, juices, bagels etc. It was sufficient for what we wanted. The best added extra that this hotel offers is the wine and cheese bar between 5 and 8 p.m. A perfect glass of wine before heading to dinner. The staff that works both the breakfast and afternoon wine were very gracious and were happy to walk around and fill your glass with wine. The only downside to these extras is the size of the room, particularly in the morning when it is busy and sometimes impossible to fine a chair to sit down.
Back to the room....the beds were super comfortable but I could have slept on anything after walking ALL DAY! The bathrooms are tiny and compact with a tub/shower combo. We did have a problem with finding a plug in to charge our various electronics. The desk area had a plug with a multiple pronged piece (turns one or two outlets into six) which didn't seem to charge things. I had to go behind the bed to access one of the only available outlets. Oh well, it all worked out in the end.
Manhattan is such a great place to explore. We walked for hours every day, all day getting from one attraction/shopping/restaurant/play/ to another. We figured it was pretty much faster than most of the cabs who get caught up in traffic.
This hotel is in a great location for shopping (Bloomingdales/5th Avenue etc), restaurants and Central Park which is about a ten to fifteen minute walk.
We would stay here again WHEN we come back to NY. I feel that most people who stay at this hotel have stayed here many times before. I understand why. Great location, staff and extras.

Room Tip: Go with a higher floor. Make sure to enjoy the wine bar. The Monkey Bar restaurant and lounge are...
1 Thank tickledpink88
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The Hotel has some beautiful characteristics not found in newly constructed Hotels but there is always a tradeoff. The staff were very friendly and accommodating but I am not sure that I would return.

When I arrived at 3:30, I was informed that I had been upgraded to a suite, but the room was not available, so I left and returned an hour later.

We left our room at 5 pm to head toward the Eugene O'Niell theater and were suprised to take over 6 minutes to get the elevator down from the 6th floor. We asked the staff to call us a cab but 20 minutes later told that we should walk down a block or so where there were more cabs to hail.

After the show, we had 2 beers and some french fries in the Monkey Bar for about $40 and returned to our room. The bed was OK but the pillows were essentially useless and the air conditioning unit made buzzing and rattling sounds all through the night making a restful sleep impossible.

Don't ask if there was a view out the window - it would probably have been better boarded over.

As we walked up and down the hallway to the bathroom, the floor creaked heavily and we hoped that we were not distrubing the guests below us.

Breakfast was "hidden" on the second floor but we managed to find it with some help. The area alotted was far to small to accommodate a fraction of the guests. Selection was limited to fruit, yogurt, cereal and bagels, and thank goodness - hot coffee. The staff working the breakfast room were very nice, and were running around madly trying to keep up with the needs of the guests.

When I checked out, I didnt mind the small extra charge on my bill due to the upgrade that I was "given", and again the staff was very nice.

I did not ask them to call me a cab this time...

Room Tip: Pillows, view and A/C unit noise are probably variable from room to room.

1 Thank duanef1658
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I spent a lot of time selecting a hotel for a romantic weekend getaway, and Hotel Elysee absolutely delivered. The king suite was huge, beautiful and really well appointed. The furniture looks absolutely beautiful, and everything is clean. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom large enough for a couple to get ready together in the morning. The hotel is small, with just a half dozen rooms per floor, so it's never going to be busy or noisy.

Entirely unexpected was the breakfast buffet every morning, with fresh fruit salad, a huge selection of pastries, cereal, tea, coffee and juice, and comfortable relaxing seating. I believe there is something similar in the evenings, but we never managed to attend.

The location is absolutely great too, just a few minutes walk from Central Park, and well situated for 5th Avenue and a bunch of other things. The staff were friendly and knew who we were, and were extremely good at recommending things to do in the area.

We'll definitely be back next time we come to NYC, and I'm already recommending it to my friends who are interested in having a weekend away.

3 Thank maxdyckhoff