“as close to perfect as it could be”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #8 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sun Valley, Idaho
“as close to perfect as it could be”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The location was excellent. Within walking distance of the theater district and lots of restaurants. The front desk staff was awesome. Breakfast was flawless. Newspapers from all over were provided in the coffee room. Wine, prosecco, cheese and crackers in the afternoon was a treat. The room was plenty big enough for the two required queen beds. I felt treated like a princess by all employees of the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 6th floor away from the street and was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We recently stayed to celebrate our 20th anniversary and my in-laws 50th. It was our first visit to NYC and I was hoping to make it a very memorable trip for my-in-laws as he had proposed to her there. The staff at the hotel were more than capable of helping me with car service, flowers, cake, chocolates, champagne, and recommendations of restaurants and places to visit. They made our stay so enjoyable with all the extra attention that you did not get at the larger hotels. My in-law's room was stunning with the additional surprise of having a balcony with a little bistro table and potted flowers. We had a larger suite with a living room that had a pull out bed for our teenage son. It was quite spacious and had a beautiful fireplace with very nice furnishings. The staff really paid attention to our coming and goings and made sure the room was appropriately turned out which is not so easy when you have a teenager flopping on the bed all the time!

Our family enjoyed the breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres each day. We met many people from all over the world and it was so nice to have the time to chat with them in the lounge. Even when they were not serving food, there was always a supply of drinks and snacks available.

The location is superb with wonderful restaurants and shopping immediately available. It is definitely one of my favorite trips I have taken and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 14 floor and didn't hear a thing. Not even a sound from another room on the fl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Location is great near Central Park and the best shopping in New York. The hotel is decorated in antique style and most of the guests seem as old as the furniture. However the service is great and breakfast and evening canapés are included in the price. I paid for a room but they upgraded me to an enormous suite. If you like a clubby, old money atmosphere this is a great place to stay

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank malcolmfrompalma
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Goldilocks and the three types of hotels.....First there are the ultra fancy hotels (often too cold, too haughty), then there are the chain hotels (frequently too unpredictable, too bland), and then there is the Elysee Hotel....just right. No, on second thought, I think that Goldilocks would agree with me that this hotel is more than just right; it is perfect.

The beds are quite comfortable, the breakfast as well as the hors d'ouevres reception time in the early evening are welcome touches that give guests a chance to refresh and regroup in casual yet elegant surroundings, and the location is ideal. But, most importantly, it is the staff in the lobby and at the front desk that earns this hotel an A plus . They are so welcoming, attentive, and thoughtful without being the least bit obsequious.

Sometimes when you are traveling, a chain hotel is fine if it serves as a quick link from one destination to the next. But, sometimes you want a place that invites you to stay and linger a while, and this hotel does just that. No, I haven't forgotten all that this remarkable city and its equally remarkable people have to offer; however, it is refreshing to have such a lovely and welcoming home base.

The Eysee Hotel is equally ideal as a place for a romantic getaway or as a place to spend time with friends. I recently spent a night at the hotel with a cousin who is from the South. Now I know I am partial to this hotel (it is my fifth time there), but my cousin made the comment that this hotel had the most hospitable staff she has ever encountered.... high praise from someone who has also traveled extensively.

The E subway line is two blocks away and takes you right to the 9/11 Memorial. The MOMA is within easy walking distance as are many of the major shops on both Madison Ave. and Fifth Ave. Also, Broadway shows and Central Park are withiin walking distance (though maybe not in high heels.)
I prefer rooms in the front on the upper floors because I enjoy the cityscape views. Don't be concerned if your room is next to the elevator because the elevator is very quiet. My only only suggestion for an improvement to the hotel(and in the scheme of things, it is a minor one) is that some of the chairs in the rooms could use some new upholstery. But, that said, this is an exceptionally remarkable place. Fortunately for me the Elysee Hotel is just a two hour train ride away. Alas, poor Goldilocks.

Room Tip: I included this in my review.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank carolineb98
Washington, DC
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Once we stayed at the Elysee several years ago, it's been hard to stay anywhere else in NY. I'd had a more-than-usually difficult trip to the City so just checked in and gratefully crashed in a reliably comfortable bed in an exceptionally quite, reasonably sized room. (It even had a view of the iconic Seagram Building.) By morning, I was chipper and ready to meet the world. Then, after an exhausting day traipsing the Highline and the Village, the shower at the Elysee was heaven. Breakfasts are simple, but exactly what we want -- a good cereal selection, excellent breads, yogurt, fruit, and coffee. It's hard to beat. The bell service was prompt and impeccable. Of course, the location -- easy walks to theaters, restaurants, and MoMA -- is unbeatable.

1 Thank Woodroad
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Quite a gem of a hotel. We live in a suburb of New York City, but enjoy occasionally spending a romantic night in the city. The Elysee is one of our favorite hotels. The suite was lovely with a balcony that was perfect for an en-suite breakfast. Continental breakfast is served free of charge in the library room. For a small charge of $5.00, the breakfast was delivered to our suite. We enjoyed the complimentary wine and cheese before having a lovely dinner in the hotel restaurant, the Monkey Bar. What a lovely way to spend our anniversary.

3 Thank barbaraM4442014
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

As always, the Elysee doormen, bell staff and front desk staff will greet you as if you lived there. We requested a rear view to be away from the street noise. We were there for a week and the lack of sunlight became an issue. As always, the 2nd floor staff was exemplary and gracious.
My only issue --- As this probably happens in all hotels. Our lovely chambermaid rinsed our drinking glasses in the bathroom sink and dried them with "some" towel. Yikes. So, I told the front desk staff that I would be getting my drinking glasses from the 2nd floor (there is a dishwasher on the 2nd floor),
We will be staying at The Elysee again and again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel