“A vintage, stylish hotel bang in the middle of all the action NYC has to offer”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #10 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 June 2014

A cute boutique hotel where service is at its best. Attached to the hotel is the famous "monkey bar" restaurant and bar where the food is exquisite ( especially their signature burger ) and again the service at the bar is top notch. As for Michael at the bar. The rooms are cleaned thoroughly and towels replaced regularly. Always ask for rooms on the top floors starting from the 10th floor to avoid any traffic noise. The only downside to the rooms are that even though there are blackout blinds, there is enough light that enters in The morning. Enough to wake up people like me who need pitch darkness. Otherwise a great hotel in all respects. Bathroom size is small but great for NYC. A complimentary breakfast is offered as well as free drinks from 5-7 pm daily. The breakfast room is cozy and inviting. Free wi fi is also great. A good selection of books are stacked at one end of the breakfast room if you are in the mood to just sit, relax and read. A highly recommended 4 star botique hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Ameros

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We never bother to look further in NYC as this hotel meets all our requirements. The location is perfect. The staff are exceedingly helpful and, despite the very busy Front Desk, found us seats and tickets most efficiently. The 5 p.m. wine and cheese is welcome after a busy day. Perhaps a little freshening up of the public rooms is already on the cards - they begin to look a bit tired. We will return again knowing that this small hotel is a great place to stay, and nothing is too much trouble for the management team.

Room Tip: we We always ask for a high quiet room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank arrosage
Reviewed 22 June 2014

All staff are friendly and attentive. Guests wanting everything to be fast or loud or abrupt should not stay here...it is definitely an "old world" sort of place. One is going to end up chatting with other guests in the lounge, just by being in line for the wine or the coffee or edible goodies. That is, unless one goes out of one's way not to talk to them! Free continental breakfast means I dont have to stumble out of doors to Starbucks first thing, in order to get my first cup of coffee in the morning. Really, I had no complaints about this hotel. Just know that it is a quieter place, you will feel out of place being loud or pushy or impatient here, if you see what I mean. And I found the antique look attractive.....a reproduction of Prince Albert holding baby Victoria was on my floor!

Room Tip: You may need the fan on early A.M. to avoid waking from street traffic, IF you are on the street sid...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank wanderingconstance11
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The location was excellent. Within walking distance of the theater district and lots of restaurants. The front desk staff was awesome. Breakfast was flawless. Newspapers from all over were provided in the coffee room. Wine, prosecco, cheese and crackers in the afternoon was a treat. The room was plenty big enough for the two required queen beds. I felt treated like a princess by all employees of the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 6th floor away from the street and was quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We recently stayed to celebrate our 20th anniversary and my in-laws 50th. It was our first visit to NYC and I was hoping to make it a very memorable trip for my-in-laws as he had proposed to her there. The staff at the hotel were more than capable of helping me with car service, flowers, cake, chocolates, champagne, and recommendations of restaurants and places to visit. They made our stay so enjoyable with all the extra attention that you did not get at the larger hotels. My in-law's room was stunning with the additional surprise of having a balcony with a little bistro table and potted flowers. We had a larger suite with a living room that had a pull out bed for our teenage son. It was quite spacious and had a beautiful fireplace with very nice furnishings. The staff really paid attention to our coming and goings and made sure the room was appropriately turned out which is not so easy when you have a teenager flopping on the bed all the time!

Our family enjoyed the breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres each day. We met many people from all over the world and it was so nice to have the time to chat with them in the lounge. Even when they were not serving food, there was always a supply of drinks and snacks available.

The location is superb with wonderful restaurants and shopping immediately available. It is definitely one of my favorite trips I have taken and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 14 floor and didn't hear a thing. Not even a sound from another room on the fl...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Location is great near Central Park and the best shopping in New York. The hotel is decorated in antique style and most of the guests seem as old as the furniture. However the service is great and breakfast and evening canapés are included in the price. I paid for a room but they upgraded me to an enormous suite. If you like a clubby, old money atmosphere this is a great place to stay

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank malcolmfrompalma
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Goldilocks and the three types of hotels.....First there are the ultra fancy hotels (often too cold, too haughty), then there are the chain hotels (frequently too unpredictable, too bland), and then there is the Elysee Hotel....just right. No, on second thought, I think that Goldilocks would agree with me that this hotel is more than just right; it is perfect.

The beds are quite comfortable, the breakfast as well as the hors d'ouevres reception time in the early evening are welcome touches that give guests a chance to refresh and regroup in casual yet elegant surroundings, and the location is ideal. But, most importantly, it is the staff in the lobby and at the front desk that earns this hotel an A plus . They are so welcoming, attentive, and thoughtful without being the least bit obsequious.

Sometimes when you are traveling, a chain hotel is fine if it serves as a quick link from one destination to the next. But, sometimes you want a place that invites you to stay and linger a while, and this hotel does just that. No, I haven't forgotten all that this remarkable city and its equally remarkable people have to offer; however, it is refreshing to have such a lovely and welcoming home base.

The Eysee Hotel is equally ideal as a place for a romantic getaway or as a place to spend time with friends. I recently spent a night at the hotel with a cousin who is from the South. Now I know I am partial to this hotel (it is my fifth time there), but my cousin made the comment that this hotel had the most hospitable staff she has ever encountered.... high praise from someone who has also traveled extensively.

The E subway line is two blocks away and takes you right to the 9/11 Memorial. The MOMA is within easy walking distance as are many of the major shops on both Madison Ave. and Fifth Ave. Also, Broadway shows and Central Park are withiin walking distance (though maybe not in high heels.)
I prefer rooms in the front on the upper floors because I enjoy the cityscape views. Don't be concerned if your room is next to the elevator because the elevator is very quiet. My only only suggestion for an improvement to the hotel(and in the scheme of things, it is a minor one) is that some of the chairs in the rooms could use some new upholstery. But, that said, this is an exceptionally remarkable place. Fortunately for me the Elysee Hotel is just a two hour train ride away. Alas, poor Goldilocks.

Room Tip: I included this in my review.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family