4,517 results
All reviewsmonkey barclub roomwine and cheesenew yorkcontinental breakfastsecond floor loungecentral parkcocktail hourbagelshard boiled eggsfresh fruitcharming hotelhome away from homesmall hoteleach eveningking suitestreet noise
Reviewed 20 December 2008

Unpleasant and unhelpful front of desk staff. If you are paying by debit card please be aware that you will require the funds for your hotel stay to be fully available at check-in as the desk staff will contact your bank to confirm this. If you do not you will need to pay each night cash in advance or by credit card.

Also rooms on the ninth floor at the front of the building do not seem to be sound proofed and are subject to constant noise from rubbish collections on the main street. Room decor is tired and dated and carpets need replacing.

In addition the front of desk staff do not wish to accomodate requests for information concerning tours of the city.

The main advantage of this hotel is it's central location.

2  Thank thenoddlers
Horizon99, Vice President of Operations at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2008

I was very sorry to hear of the difficulties during your stay. We take great pride in our customer satisfaction, so I would very much like to discuss your experience so we may find ways to improve our service. Please feel free to contact me personally at garret@hkhotels.com or 212-201-1156.

To all the TripAdvisor members, like thousands of other hotels, at the Hotel Elysee we do use standard hotel credit procedures which require a credit card imprint on arrival. We are required by the credit card issuer to get an authorization for your stay in advance, to cover the anticipated room, taxes and incidental expenses. Using cash or a Debit Card instead of a credit card for this purpose is almost always a very frustrating experience for our guests so we strongly urge travelers to use offer a credit card on arrival so that they may avoid any bureaucratic troubles with the bank tying up funds you would have hoped to use enjoying our city. Then upon departure, you may pay with cash, credit card or a debit card if you prefer. In my personal experience, this credit procedure has been used every time I have traveled throughout other countries as well, but I suppose there may be other cultures where this may be unfamiliar so we will endeavor in the future to more clearly detail our procedures on our website. If you have any questions regarding our credit procedures, please feel free to contact me personally at garret@hkhotels.com and I would be pleased to answer any questions you may have.

Reviewed 18 December 2008

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Hotel Elysee and what a wonderful stay it was. We were a group of 5 women celebrating a belated 60th birthday. Every year we make an overnight stay in Manhattan at Christmastime but this was our first stay at the Elysee and from the looks of things, it won't be our last. Everyone ( from Mr. Avina to the young women who set up refreshments in the Club room) was professional, courteous, and gracious. We had a suite and a double room and were able to close off a hallway door to make a 2 bedroom suite. The rooms were large and very comfortable(even the pull-out couch was comfortable). There is a complimentary continental breakfast every morning, delicious cookies and coffee all day, and cheese and crackers, wine and Prosecco in the early evening. Everything was delightful! The location is outstanding, the hotel is outstanding, and most of all the staff is outstanding.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank Idlewildmemories
Reviewed 13 December 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Elysee mid-week during December and were quite impressed. The location on E. 54th St. is fantastic and the hotel is reasonably priced by NYC standards. Although our visit would have been special under any conditions (loved the second floor library for breakfast, complementary wine and cheese, newspapers, and all day cookies and fruit), we were overwhelmed when the staff upgraded our room to a suite when we checked in! The suite was absolutely beautiful, with fireplace, dining room table, kitchenette, and large screen tvs. We felt like rock stars! Additionally, the staff could not have been nicer or more accomodating...the doorman offered an umbrella when we went outside and was most helpful hailing taxis. We can't wait to stay here again! We used to stay at the Carlysle, but the Elysee is our new favorite. We highly recommend it.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SamanthainNJ
Reviewed 10 December 2008

Stayed there for one night and couldn't find a single thing wrong with this wonderful Manhattan gem!The location is perfect for every NYC attraction....the staff was friendly beyond belief...the room was clean, comfortable, and in good shape...small, cozy, friendly, priced right....a 2nd floor lounge serving coffee, croissants, and hors d'oeuvres in the evening...what else could we ask for? Will absolutely stay there over and over and recommend it to everyone who asks. The Monkey Bar will be up and running by the spring which will be a huge plus!

1  Thank KRRI
Reviewed 8 December 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Elysee for 2 nights in early September. We chose this hotel based on the great reviews it got. However, there really wasn't anything special about this place.

I have nothing negative to say about this hotel, however I have nothing positive either. The room was average sized, and the bed was comfortable enough to sleep in. There were no major problems, and the front desk was polite. The restaurant attached to the hotel was closed for renovations while we were there, so we stuck to eating out (the first night we were so tired from traveling we just ate food from the deli across the street. I wouldn't suggest that if you have enough energy to walk down a block or to to an actual restaurant).

Also, don't be confused by the minibar. It doesn't really cool things. It's not really a refrigerator. Plus, according to their brochure, if you take something out, it will automatically be charged for it. We read this part after moving things around to put our own drinks in, but we quickly replaced everything and were not charged.

So overall, this place is okay. I would definitely recommend finding another place to stay, though, if you can. However, if you won't be spending much time in your hotel room anyway, this place should be just fine for you.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple