“Excellent service, ideal location”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #8 of 467 Hotels in New York City
WI
“Excellent service, ideal location”
Reviewed 6 April 2009

My husband and I stayed here March 18-22 based on reviews, and found it suited us perfectly. It's an easy walk to shops on 5th Avenue, Central Park, the Theater District, and Rockefeller Center. For longer distances, the subway is just around the corner.
The staff provided exemplary service all around. I particularly want to highlight the efforts of the breakfast staff - always gracious, remarkably efficient. They continuously replenished the buffet of fresh fruit salad, yogurt, hot- and cold cereal, pastries, bagels, juices, coffees and teas. Just ask, and the girls will bring you an espresso or toast your bagel as you visit with other guests or read the Times or USA Today.
We had a quiet room on the 6th floor. No view to speak of, but spacious (for NYC) and sparkling clean. The king bed's mattress and bedding were very comfortable.
I can't imagine staying elsewhere on our next visit.

1 Thank gentle_wilma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (829)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I stayed here for a week in March. I'm a bit fed up with paying top-dollar for big-brand hotels that don't offer much in return, so I thought I would try something more like a boutique.

The location is very good, with all my mid-town meetings within a few blocks. Staff were very welcoming on arrival and were sufficiently organized not to have lost the presentations I had delivered to the hotel, which was a relief. I was on the 10th floor. There is only one lift and the week I was there must have been spring break because the hotel was quite busy and at peak times the wait for the lift was occasionally pretty long.

Room was a pleasant surprise in terms of size: I had something approaching a junior suite, with a separate dressing room and decent sized bedroom. Bathroom however was a bit dated in appearance and pretty small. Wireless LAN is available free throughout the hotel which I have decided is a 'must' for all hotels I visit, I resent paying hundreds of dollars per night for the room and then being asked to pay another $20 for WiFi. If Starbucks can do it for nothing, so can hotels, right?

My main issue with the hotel was the noise: I guess I was overlooking 54th St and every morning around 5:30 or 6:00am the traffic noise was horrendous, with trucks sounding their horns etc etc. If you like to lay in late in the morning, ask for a room somewhere quiet or don't stay here.

The hotel wasn't really all that geared up for business travellers: breakfast was served in a lounge on the first floor, which was fine except that because it was included in the price (which was a plus), it was not really possible to have a breakfast meeting in the hotel. I tried one morning and the doorman pretty much tried to turn my colleagues away!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Russell N
Allen, TX
Reviewed 30 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Elysee from 3/19 - 3/23. We had a fabulous room on the 11th floor on the back side of the hotel, which was fine because it was much quieter than if we'd been facing 54th Street. We even had what I jokingly call a "Partial Park Avenue View". Our stay at the Elysee was nothing short of spectacular. The staff was always very friendly and helpful, and the 2nd floor lounge served up a fantastic breakfast each morning (go early, it's a zoo by 9:30 AM) and delightful wine and cheese in the evenings. In the afternoon, the lounge was a great spot to just people-watch out the window, and enjoy some coffee and cupcakes from Crumbs. The rooms were nicely appointed, and the large shower with ample water pressure was much appreciated after a long day of sight-seeing. Our only regret is that the Monkey Bar had not yet reopened. My husband is up in NYC often on business, and will try to stay at the Elysee whenever he can. I know when I come up next, I won't stay anywhere else!

1 Thank sahdoggiemom
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We spent 4 nights in early January 2009.....it is a great little hotel with all the amenities that we enjoy. Not for those who want "glitz". Service could not have been any better. Wine and appetizers nightly and a wonderful, filling breakfast each morning. Location for visiting the MOMA is perfect. Bus service or subway are handy. It is an older hotel but well kept. We enjoyed and plan to return.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lover-of-Travels
New England
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Last minute trip to NYC, thought we'd try a different hotel. Have stayed at the Casablanca but needed to be near the Lex on the East side. After reading the reviews here, booked a king room and requested a high floor. A very nice staff member called to say that he didn't have a high floor available but could give us a larger and very quiet room. Spacious and elegant , it had an anteroom/dressing room which kept the large bedroom uncluttered with luggage and shopping bags ;0 The bathroom is small but serviceable with lovely fixtures. The breakfast buffet is similar to the Casablanca, beautifully presented, fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, muffins, croissants.All-day coffee and cookies and the wine and cheese often salvaged us after a long day on our feet. Our new favorite and The Monkey Bar looks like it will be open soon.

1 Thank The4Bears
dallas, tx
Reviewed 28 March 2009

This was our third visit but the first with our teenage children. They had their own room on a different floor but we never worried about them. The staff is so helpful with restaurant reservations or city tours, anything you need. They always say welcome back and after 3 stays it feels like home to us. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
spain
Reviewed 26 March 2009

I booked two nights at the Hotel Elysee after reading a few reviews. I was searching for that special hotel to stay in whilst in New York, I had a suprise proposal planned so wanted something special and romantic.

The staff of the Elysee were very helpful, courteous and swift when it came to arranging a few special requests via email and telephone. Upon arrival, we were both very pleased with every aspect of the hotel. The staff are friendly, knowlledgeable and polite, the public and private areas are very well appointed and looked after, and the facilities such as breakfast room/lounge and library are both cosy, romantic and welcoming.
I look forward to making the Elysee my regular New York hotel.

2 Thank haplo75