“Cleanest hotel room I ever slept in.”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #10 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 September 2010

First the bad: The temperature controls were not functional, so the air conditioning could not be turned down, making the little ante-room that held a sofa, phone, and mini-bar, too cold to be usable. Also, the mini-fridge in the room proper didn't work. It was considerably warmer inside that mini-fridge than it was in the room surrounding it.

Now the good: For Manhattan, this was a decent sized room. The bathroom had marble tile and was large enough to turn around in, which again is large for Manhattan. Plus there was that little sitting room, like a balcony covered with opaque glass. Yes, it was too cold to use, but still--you wouldn't even have it to complain about in most Manhattan hotel rooms.

The bed was firmer than I'm used to, but I slept soundly on it, and the linens looked brand-spanking new.

The food put out for breakfast and the afternoon wine and cheese wing-ding is as underwhelming as everybody says, but all the orange juice you want and your choice of several newspapers is nothing to sneeze at. Still, next time, I'll ask for a room with a functioning mini-fridge and keep it well-stocked during my visit. (And not only for breakfasting--at night, there is no place decent to eat in that neighborhood after 10:00pm. There's no place open for lunch, either--including restaurants with lunch menus posted outside their doors.)

The biggest plus of the stay was that I have never stayed in a cleaner room in my life. Ever. Here's how clean that hotel room was: one day, I dropped one of the pills I take each morning, and without thinking about it, I followed the five second rule. Yup--I picked that sucker off the floor and took it anyway. LOL. There is not another hotel in the world where I would so much as dream of doing such a thing. That room was immaculate.

Whatever they're paying the cleaning staff, it's not enough.

My next stay, I'll complain if not given a working refrigerator and a room with functional temperature control, but I came away with a good enough opinion of the place that I probably will stay there again sometime. The cleanliness standard alone was worth every cent I paid, and then some.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 31 August 2010

My husband and I went to NYC for our honeymoon and stayed at this fantastic hotel! After a day of exploring it was so great to come to a hotel that felt coming home! Everybody there was so helpful, even recommending great take out! We could not have picked a better location for our NY honeymoon as we were close to everything but far enough away from the mayhem to feel like we were on a romantic getaway---seriously this hotel is the best of uptown NY meets European b&b. We just loved it!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Beautiful hotel, excellent service, very nice staff, great room, fantastic breakfast and more!!! will return!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank FalcoG
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Every member of staff had a ready smile and an eagerness to please. I must remember to book well in advance as their reputation will ensure full capacity.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Just been to New York for our wedding anniversary. I, (husband) ordered some roses for the room - they were the biggest individual roses I've ever seen (only in America I guess). A nice touch was a bottle of something fizzy in the room when we arrived (on the house). We had a 5th floor room on 54th St. which was excellent and marred only by some building work going on on the other side of the road which was noisy and started pretty early, no real problems there though, we were up and about anyway. The buffet style breakfast in relaxed surroundings was run by staff who were friendly and efficient (as indeed, all the hotel staff were), a good way to start the day. Monkey Bar and restaurant attached was a bonus (and good) if you don't feel like going too far in the evening, restaurant has an interesting and amusing decor/theme. We've already recommended this hotel to friends and would recommend it to anyone. Had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Everything about our visit with school-age kids plus a grandparent was great. The staff is friendly and helped us with transportation, dining options and sightseeing ideas. The location made it easy to see most of Manhattan's highlights in a three-night stay. We were astounded by the size and comfort of our one-bedroom suite. The breakfast buffet and afternoon snack service is a welcome retreat that was a huge benefit for a family of five.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2010

My sister and I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now and we continue to return because of the wonderful staff, outstanding location, and general charm of the hotel. Fragrant fresh flowers in the lobby. The rooms are impeccably clean...a little small for a Californian, but I think pretty standard for NYC. Beds are comfy and well-appointed. Bathrooms are lovely, with marble tile and up-to-date fixtures. Complimentary Continental breakfast is basic, but nice. Clientele seems very international...especially popular with Europeans. One word of warning, rooms facing the street can be a little noisy on trash nights, so if you're a light sleeper request a back-facing room. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family