“Average at best”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #352 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This hotel has many positives such as being close to Times Square, Rockfeller Center, Central Park, Columbus Circle and many more. It also is relatively inexpensive as 4 of us stayed for under $200 per night. The lobby has also been updated and the rooftop pool is a great spot to take a break from sightseeing. However, the hotel needs updating - the elevators need to be updated and so do the rooms. The room we had faced 57th Street which is busy, so you get lots of noise even though we were 15 floors up. The beds were uncomfortable, the AC barely worked and the bathroom was small and in need of major renovation. Also, I had asked for a room that was away from high traffic/noise areas and I got a room right off the elevators beside the ice machine. Needless to say I wouldn't recommend this hotel especially for stays longer than a day or two. The hotel is scheduled for refurbishment starting in January 2013 - I hope that means ripping everything out and redoing the entire room and demolishing and re-constructing the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Stay in Tower B and in a room not facing the street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Watson Hotel

Reviewed 7 September 2012

We had a fantastic time in New York. Our hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. A special thanks goes to Domingo, the concierge at the hotel. He went above and beyond with helpful suggestions, always with a smile. I think he wakes up smiling. He made us feel very welcome and gives a great first impression of New Yorkers. We walked to Times Square several times, although it's a pretty good distance, so it's not for the out of shape. Very good location to many attractions. They will get you a cab if you prefer not to walk. Highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to New York City.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and we never heard noises from outside traffic, horns, etc. We stayed in the west...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank joyce l
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location for sight seeing - 5 mins walk from the empire state building and 15 mins walk from times square/ shopping and close to the metro and grand station. The room we had was clean and comfortable and looked as if it had been recently decorated.

Front desk staff where very helpful in providing us with directions to queens for the tennis and provided maps of the local area.

We didn't eat in the restaurant but plenty of nice places round about

Would definitely stay here again due to its location

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This was a great hotel, never seen such big rooms in Manhattan. The service was great and the rooms felt really fresh...free wi-fi was a huge added advantage. Location is great with easy access to Hells Kitchen, Columbus circle. In good weather, one could even walk to Times Square.

Room Tip: I had taken the two queen beds room, and it was pretty good
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Well if your going to New York and want to stay some where central and excellent service dont come to Holiday Inn midtown. The Welcome staff, tour desk and porter staff are so rude it is a shock after a 21 hour flight. I was told by the tour desk how stupid i was for traveling alone and that no one on any other tour would talk to me. Well i have news, on other tours i came accross amazing people from from amazing cultures. This person even had the hide to attempt talk me into canceling the tours and just doing broadway shows and watch the yankees. the reception desk just cut you off when u explaining a situation or asking about the arrangement of travellers cheques. The restautrant staff were under dress and not in uniform on am duty, they even had the hide make me have my breakfast in my hotle room. how boring. i have food allergies so i took my ceral etc , the restaurant told me i was not welcome with my ceral.. I want to know from Holiday inn management what was the harm with eating my ceral and paying for soy milk in the so called restaurant. The porter staff were abrupt to say the least and made a international travellet have shivers up your spine.
And what about a fridge in your hotel room, this 2010, or will that break the budget??
Oh I must let you know i visted the Fairmont hotel how nice the staff were, very welcoming to new york, assisting with directions to central park and ammenties. trust me the next time i go to new york i will look at staying at the fairmont.
The room detailing could use some attention, especially those dirty windows.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank annie s
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear annie s,

Thank you for leaving a review. I am very sorry to hear you felt our staff was unfriendly and unhelpful. This is not usual. We have a very high standard for service levels. This is why your comments are troubling and will most certainly be looked into.

I apologize you were not able to bring your cereal into the restaurant. As we are a full service restaurant we do not allow outside food or drinks. If you would have let our chef or servers know of your allergy, I am sure we could have made you something delicious that you would be able to eat.

I do hope you give us another try for a future stay and please let us know if there is anything we can do for you while you are here.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 September 2012

JUST OK We were on the road side, a bit noisy and also right across from the elevator :(
The room had mould and the walls and floors were soaked. We think the room next to us air conditioner was leaking - however, we didn't spend anytime in the room. We booked through hotwire and maybe that is why our room was in a bad space in the hotel and in bad condition. I do not know if that was the case...I do not know the quality of other rooms in this hotel either. This is why we were unable to change our reservation. IF the room rate was cheaper and reflected the hotel status my rating would be higher. Yes the lady in the front desk threw our papers at us and did not say Hi or welcome to the holiday inn or anything that you would expect. The pool staff were very good. The cleaning staff did a good job. The location of the hotel was good, 9th has lots to offer. It is close to central park as well.

Room Tip: Make sure to check your room to see it is ok first.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank beachbaba
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

Dear beachbaba,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I'm glad you liked the fine location of our property. I'm deeply sorry for the room accommodations you had that did not live up to your expectations. I am also sorry for the unacceptable service you received at check in. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. I have sent you Private Message to obtain some additional details regarding you stay. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 31 August 2012

Great location..Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable..Claudia at the front desk has the worst attitude i have ever encounter in a hotel......when ask to speak to a manager i was question why i needed to talk to manager..

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business