“Great inexpensive hotel”

Ranked #346 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Alicante, Spain
“Great inexpensive hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, great location slightly away from the hustle and bustle so had a fab nights sleep but within walking distance to more lively places, hotel staff helpful, rooms large and clean just needed updating slightly. The beds were very comfortable just what you need when your on your feet all day seeing the fabulous city of New York. Only downside is no safe in the room.

1 Thank s0relle
Jasmin O, Guest Service Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear s0relle,

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you had a pleasant stay with us, and thank you for your feedback. Please know we are currently renovating all of our guest rooms which will include the addition of safety deposit boxes, as well as brand new furnishings, wallpaper and carpeting. We hope you will return to see all of our improvements!

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Farmington Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We came to NYC for a wedding in Brooklyn but stayed here to be able to fun some fun. The hotel is in the right spot for that. We came in early. We were able to store our bags and my mom's wheelchair until the room was ready. We were given our breakfast buffet coupons which we used immediately. The eggs,potatoes, french toast and fruit were good. Lots of choices and above average quality. The Time Warner building was close enough to walk to, near columbus cirlcle. We were able to get into our room early. It was clean and spacious and had curtains( reference to katelle's review below).
We got assitance with directions and estimation of how long it would take to get places. The night of the wedding we had ordered a car. The staff made a decison to get us a cab when they found out the car was stuck in traffic. Nice Save!
The pice was right, the location was good. We couldn't take Mom on the subway but it was close to the subway stations. Everyone was freindly and helpful during our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank moosha1955
Dear moosha1955,

Thank you very much for your kind review! We are so pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed all of our amenities and location. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again soon, and thank you again for your feedback.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here last Wednesday while I was in town for 1 night. I arrived early after a red eye flight from the west coast and went straight to the hotel to try and check in or at the very least leave my bags. I was told a room would be ready at 9:30am for me! So at 9:45 I went back to the hotel and checked in and was able to grab a little sleep before exploring the city.

The room was sufficient for what I needed. The bed was comfortable and the shower was hot.

Although it was not in the hustle and bustle heart of midtown it was only a 5 min walk to Central Park and less than 10 to Times Square. Considering I paid less than $170 for the room I was happy with what I got and would consider staying here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank CaroCanuck
Dear CaroCanuck,

Thank you for your review. We are very glad to hear your stay with us was satisfactory, and appreciate your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again soon!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed at the holiday inn last week for 3 nights as a sightseeing/holiday trip for my 21st and my mother's 50th with 3 other family members and we had 2 rooms between the 5 of us. The hotel wasn't the best but it wasn't fabulous either, but there are a few points to note.

Firstly, the rooms don't have curtains, and this was in both rooms. There is a thin veil but it doesn't keep out the light or the cold from the windows. The noise would also be helped by curtains, so all in all we didn't sleep well, luckily we were only there for 3 nights. It also meant we had to get changed in the bathroom as there window was right onto a street and opposite an apartment block. In all seriousness, even the worst of hotels have curtains.

We also paid for bed and breakfast, quite obviously for all 5 members of our party. On the first morning we were told that we only had enough vouchers for 4 people to have breakfast. However the manager was helpful, but it did take nearly an hour to prove we had booked for 5 people not 4, and they had to take a copy of our booking.

Another point is the reception staff. Every member of reception staff we spoke to had very poor english and was unable to help us particularly with the problems over breakfast due to the language barrier. When checking in one of our rooms wasn't ready but we were able to check into the other room which was fine, Vlady (i think was his name or something similar) the man on reception checked us in but didn't give us the breakfast vouchers, he didn't even tell us where the rooms were, or even where the lift was to find them, and didn't even check our booking. He could not have been more lazy. It was only when we checked into the second room later that evening that we even found out about the breakfast vouchers. The breakfast hostess also had terrible english and was unable to understand our issues with the vouchers.

It was also a little further away from the main tourist attractions, it was a 10 minute cab journey to Times Square and I would definately stay closer to Times Square if I came back to NYC

One of the bell boys, unfortunately we didn't get a name, (but he wore a black fleecy hat everyday) was wonderful and helped us get a cab every evening, and was very friendly.

Everything else about the hotel and the rooms was extremely average. It was clean and tidy and you got clean towels every day. The beds were comfortable and there was TV and wifi. The bathroom was a little outdated and the sink out into the room itself. But we didn't spend much time in the hotel anyway as it was a busy holiday.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank katelle
Jasmin O, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear katelle

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I will like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for your less than pleasant experience with us during your time of celebration in NYC at our property. We strive to provide an overall pleasant stay and truly regret the impact of the service experienced during your check in process, I am so sorry to hear that you were not issued the breakfast coupons upon arrival and for the delay in the process of your inquiry with our front desk and restaurant staff. Your comments will be shared with the staff in order to avoid a similar experience. I was surprised the accommodation provided had no curtains due to our two types of curtains in our room’s one being a thin sheer and the other being a heavy drape which blocks out any light. I will send you a message to gather further details in order to inspect the room(s) as we genuinely do want our guest(s) such as yourself to have an overall comfortable and pleasant stay.

Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz Front Services Manager

Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz Front Services Manager
Queenstown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

A friend and I had a symposium in NYC one weekend, which included my 61st birthday. Although we wanted to spend a few days in NYC, we could only stay one night due to other committments. We stay at the Holiday Inn Midtown on 57th Ave. We chose this hotel because it was close to the campus of Fordham University on 60th Ave and had valet parking. The hotel was easy to find, even though I had never driven in NYC before. The staff at the hotel, hotel restaurant and parking garage was wonderful. We could not have asked for a friendlier stay. The hotel was very clean and well appointed. We had questions, which were quickly and honestly answered. We arrived later than we had hoped and were really tired, so we reluctantly chose to eat in the hotel bar rather than venture out. The server must have overheard my friend mention it was my birthday, because when she brought our drinks, she included a small shot glass of a delicious blue something or other for each of us to celebrate my birthday. We were trying to decide logistics for our day of departure...do we store our bags with the hotel and walk over to Fordham then walk back at the end of the symposium? Do we ask for a late check out for our car? Do we take the car out of the garage, load our bags and drive over to Fordham and find parking? We posed this question to the concierge. He asked a few questions, told us there was parking almost on top of the Fordham campus. He also said they would be happy to store the bags or give us a late check out. Since my friend had mobility problems, we chose to just check out, load our bags into the car and drive the couple of blocks. It worked out perfectly. I hope to plan another trip to NYC and stay longer. This hotel will be my first choice. We were very impressed.

Room Tip: We only stayed one night and had a room that overlooked an inner area. It was quiet.
3 Thank PKP1953
Jasmin O, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear PKP1953

Thank you for sharing your overall pleasant experience staying with us at the Holiday Inn Midtown. We are very happy you had such a great stay and experience due to our friendly staff and clean rooms. It is our pleasure to assist and we are happy your plans in NYC went well and genuinely look forward to your next visit. Once again, thank you very much for your sharing your overall happy experience and thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Midtown.

Crawley, West Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

We were only in NY for 24 hours and thank God as I couldn't have stayed another night here.

At check in we were told the king size room we had confirmed was no longer available; not a huge issue.

The rooms are tired. The bathroom was 2* or less. But the worst was the noise from the lift that went on all night. I've never heard this before. Will never return there.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jabdool
Jasmin O, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Jabdool

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I will like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize that your stay was less than pleasant due to the accommodation provided during your stay. I regret the impact it caused due to the noise of the lifts and genuinely apologize for the room type not being available. I will like to share that one of our towers is fully renovated and by the end of the summer the other tower will be renovated and we hope in the near future you will give us another opportunity for an overall pleasant stay, renovated room and again our sincere apologies for your recent stay experience.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights as I got a decent rate. I was a little unsure as the location wasn't at Times Square and hotels in Manhattan tend to be iffy.
Well I was really happy with the hotel. The room was a good size and was quite clean. The room is very comparable to any other Holiday Inn. The bathroom was a decent size and I like that the sink is separate from the toilet/bathtub. The flatscreen TV is modern and works well. There is a closet and a cabinet in the room, and the nighttable is large. The beds and the pillows were very comfortable.
One negative I would say for the room are that there aren't many electrical outlets. These days when we all have 5 different devices, I'd suggest bringing a powerbar if you have one.
Another negative is that I emailed the hotel to request a fridge in the room, and they responded to say that they could do this. But when I checked in, they advised me it would be a $10 charge per night, so we decided not to bother. A fridge would have been really nice to keep drinks and food cold. But it's not worth the extra cost.
The location of the hotel was ok. It was about a 15 minute walk to Times Square. a 5 minute walk to 8th avenue and you have McDonalds, Wendys, Dunkin Donuts, and a CVS. The hotel is also a really close walk to Columbus Circle and Central Park.
So if I were to come back and get a decent rate, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this Holiday Inn again. I was overall really happy here.

1 Thank rob_hanson1979
Jasmin O, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Rob_hanson1979

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are happy to know that you were pleasantly surprised staying at the Holiday Inn Midtown. We are happy to know you enjoyed the accommodation and cleanliness provided during your stay. I sincerely apologize that one con as mentioned was that there seemed to not be enough outlets in the room, thank you for sharing your experience and I will share this information with the executive office for any future considerations if possible. In addition, I sincerely apologize that a daily fee for a fridge was not mentioned and regret the impact it may have caused. Thank you for sharing and giving us an opportunity and we are very happy to hear that you had an overall very happy stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again and again, Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Midtown.

Sincerely