“Absolutely recommend this hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #346 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Absolutely recommend this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel when me and my friend visited New York for the first time. As two 19 year olds on our first big holiday, we had no idea what the hotel was like until after we had actually booked it and then checked the reviews. After reading some of the reviews we were quite worried as we did not know what to expect as some of the reviews weren't great especially regarding bedbugs. When we arrived at the hotel the receptionist on the desk wasn't the most help but we were shown to our room. The hotel lobby is really nice and the hotel looks great from the outside. We went to our room and were pleasantly surprised by it as it was a spacious double room with two double beds. It was clean, tidy and well kept. When we returned to our room at night time we looked outside the window and were stunned by the view. It was absolutely incredible. We never ate at the hotel and found that the staff on the tourist desk were lovely. They helped us with every annoying question we had about what to do, where to go and everything else we wanted to know.
I thought that the hotel was in perfect location too. Times Square was a 5/10 minute walk and we ate there every night. It was in a safe area an even as two young girls we were happy to walk around until 11/12pm. Central Park was also close by and there were many cafes, shops and restaurants near by. We recommend using the Grayline tour bus which stops nearby and can take you to the attractions which are not within walking distance.

Such a pleasant stay, don't listen to all the reviews you hear. Already planning another visit back here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank salham
Jasmin O, Guest Service Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear salham,

Thank you very much for your positive review! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and are already planning a trip back. We truly appreciate your feedback and patronage, and look forward to hosting you again soon!

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Me and my mum stayed here early in the month for 3 nights as a last minute deal with flight included. The hotel is on a relatively quiet street, not far from Times Square and Central Park.

Location was great, close enough to walk to a few of the places we wanted to go and Columbus Circle subway station is very nearby.

Room itself was pretty large, 2 double beds each. Bathroom lets it down, quite small and our toilet took an age to flush. Was clean but could definitely do with a bit of a revamp as it looks quite dated. AC was on when we came back to the room one day, which worked fine. Could also open the window a little bit to let it some air. One thing we wished we'd figured out sooner was the blackout blinds. Managed to locate and close them on the last night!!

We were on the street side on the 11th floor so traffic noise was pretty much constant but it's New York so expected. You get free WiFi but it's very intermittent, kept dropping out for me constantly.

Didn't have any problems with the elevator, our room was right next to them too and heard very little noise.

Biggest complaint would be the connecting door from our room to next doors. Either the walls are paper thin or noise travels through the door. Next door had a screaming baby and I've never known anyone to blow dry their hair for that long in my life!

Hotel held our bags on the last day as we had an evening flight, will say that the concierge staff need a little perking up! Seemed a very miserable, unwelcoming bunch particularly when we went to pick up our bags!!

Overall, an okay stay but don't think I'll stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear radcakes,

Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please know we are currently renovating all of our guest rooms, which will include brand new furnishings, carpeting and wallpaper. We hope you will return to see our improvements! Your comments will be passed to Upper management, and we truly thank you for your feedback.

Woodbridge, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was a quick overnight trip for me from Washington DC. One night to attend a hiring event at this same hotel.

Check-in was quick and front desk personnel were very pleasant. At first glance when I walked in, I kind of of felt like I was walking into an old casino in 1980's Vegas. There's quite a lot going on with the decor and all of the wood paneling/siding gives it kinda of that 70's look. Same with the room I had (207). It was a very hot day on Monday May 12th so I went straight for the AC but noticed that it was making noise as if it were working but nothing was coming out. I thought I'd just leave it running while I was out checking the sites and that the room would be cool when I arrived 4 hours later but it was not. The bed was comfy and there was a work and sitting area (free wifi) that all worked in my favor. The bathroom worked fine and offered evevrything I needed as well.

Although not the fault of the hotel; I was staying on the backside of the hotel (56th street side) and on this night starting at around 9 PM (yes, I said 9 PM), the city of NY decided that they were going to bring heavy equipment in to tear up the asphalt on the entire street. Needleless to say I could not sleep and not sure what time they exactly stopped but I want to say it was at around 1-2 AM! This coupled with the earlier fire in the building next door that day (again not the fault of the day) and the heat made for a very unpleasant stay for me.

I was representing my company for a hiring event they were having on-site and I have to say I was not at all very pleased with that event either. I have done hundreds of events in my time and I know good and bad service. Once again the theme here was HOT. The room was extremely hot and I was wearing a suit. I had to find someone to turn on some standing fans. There was water on the table and not once did anyone come by to refill the pitchers or ask if we needed anything. On the good side the food in their in-house restaurant was pretty good (included with the event).

All in all this was not a great experience and I'd have a very hard time staying here again in the future. At check-out I shared my disappointment with the front-desk (while wiping my sweaty face with a towel I was carrying). The nice gentleman offered me a accommodation adjustment and that was a nice gesture.

Room Tip: Before getting comfortable I would ensure the ac/heating unit is working properly. Stay on a higher...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Enrique C
Dear EnriqueC92114,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We sincerely apologize about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Please know we have an Engineering staff on site 24/7 who can check anything that's not working properly, and if they cannot fix it we will happily change your room. Our apologies again, and thank you for allowing us to learn from your feedback.

Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The rooms were quite old looking but we found them very comfortable. We were impressed with how quickly things were fixed. We had a leaking tap and asked the housekeeping staff about having it fixed. It was fixed by late afternoon which was good. The staff member in the bar on St Patrick's Day was excellent. She allowed us to play music and sing a repertoire of songs for our friend's 50th birthday which was a highlight of staying there. All of the staff members were lovely and helpful but there's always one that isn't. One girl in the bar, one night, was extremely rude to one of our party and had the worst don't care attitude we had seen. Such a shame there is always one staff member who isn't grateful for having a job. Overall, I think this hotel was good for the budget, very quiet and we found the location quite good as we could walk to Central Park and a longer walk to Times Square. We were in an area where the sidewalks were less populated with people so it was nice having that space to walk without being jostled. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear CazziD,

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We truly appreciate your feedback, and please know all of your comments will be passed to Upper Management. We hope you will return again soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on our first trip to NYC. The hotel was about 1 mile from the broadway district. The rooms were very large and beds were very comfortable. Our room was a bit outdated and old looking, but clean. Check in and out was fast and convenient. Booked room though Priceline and got a very good rate. Hotel staff accommodated our need for two beds without hassle. We stayed on the 16th floor. Generally quiet from street noise. We were near the elevator, but only once heard people in the hallway on Saturday night. Outdoor pool closed while we were here. View from our room was gorgeous. The elevators were small and we only had crowded rides on Sunday AM as we were getting ready to check out. I would stay here again if I couldn't find a hotel closer to the Broadway district for cheaper.

Stayed May 2014
Dear Jhjani,

Thank you for your review. We so are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Please know we are currently renovating all of our guest rooms which will include brand new furnishings, carpeting and wallpaper. We hope you will return to see our improvements!

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is looks old, not far from Times Square and has basic restaurant.
The room is not very clean and doesn't have an AC in addition the ventilation from windows couldn't make my room temperature at least acceptable for human!
One of the concierge staff was not very supportive, however I complain about his attitude to the manager who was very supportive.
In general the hotel need to make renovation and reflect value for money based on current situation.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Ata_Elyas,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review of our property. I am glad you found the hotel's location ideal for your travel needs.

I apologize for any inconvenience the room condition and the level of service received may have caused you. We will look into these and will be forwarded to the appropriate department to rectify any unsatisfactory experience.

We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Ioannina, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Not quite what we expected for a hotel with such a name. Stayed there for business trip but we expected much better service than the one we have accepted. We have stayed for 3 nights but during our 2nd day our key cards were blocked and staff said that we have to leave the hotel. Apparently there was a mistake with our bookings which was not really looked carefully from the staff causing us and our colleges to come back asap from the city where we were visiting museums etc and ruin our whole 2nd day in New York. Finally the mistake was understood with a great delay from the staff and we got a refund for our museums tickets and a refund for one night for one room only but that didn't replace the day that we had lost from visiting sightseeings and touring in the city!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Petros_Pa

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I sincerely apologize for the error and for the experience due to the inconvenience. The information provided was reviewed and shared in order to avoid a similar experience and we genuinely apologize for this unfortunate situation. We understand the compensation could not return the day and have taken action to review all the details in order to avoid a less than pleasant experience in the near future. We value you as our guest and sincerely apologize.

Sincerely Front Services Manager Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz