“not what I expected”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #356 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on W. 57th in Midtown, NYC over July 4th. I booked it even through I had read it was old. We were traveling with my 6 yr old grandson so I wanted an outdoor pool. The place is very old. I am a smoker so I thought I could go up top in the morning and have a cup of coffee and read the paper while I had a smoke. It does not open until 10 a.m.
In the evening the pool closes at 6. Again I thought after a long day of sightseeing we could let grandson swim while we had a cocktail. The rooftop pool and deck was ok but short hours. They also sell day and season passes to locals. No room at pool for guests. I didn't find it to be what I expected but if you don't mind the short hours or want the use of the pool it would be okay.
We also had room service on Sunday afternoon. The trays were still in the hall when we left on Tuesday.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Theresa P
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Theresa P

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we sincerely apologize your stay was less than pleasant. Your feedback was shared with the Executive office to hopefully provide a better experience in the near future. Once again, our sincere apologies and we hope to see you again in the near future for an overall pleasant experience.

Front Services Manager Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz

Write a ReviewReviews (4,500)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Location was convenient, just a few blocks to subway and Central Park. Room was decent, good size with no view. Pool roof deck closes at 6PM. Roof deck would be better if open in evening to see the skyline.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ChiliK

Dear ChiliK

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Midtown. It is great to know the value, location and room provided during your stay was great. I sincerely apologize the operation of hours at the pool was not satisfactory. Your feedback was shared with the Executive office and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family flew in from Hawaii and we needed help with seeing what our options were to get around the city. While standing in line we witnessed the concierge treat the customer in front of us very bad as he informed him that he
missed his ride to the airport. The gentlemen said he came back when the concierge told him to and the concierge replied with "I was here since 7am where were you?" After that costumer left we waited awhile and watched him organize his desk. He didn't even say he would be with us in a min or 10mins. Finally, he didn't even ask us what we wanted, he looked up, handed us one pamphlet to buy a city pass and my mom asked a question about it. He rudely raised his voice and said "read the pamphlet first and come back to me later if you have a question! NEXT PLEASE!" We tried to asked the question again and he refused to answer the question and kept telling us to go away and read the pamphlet, while over looking us and trying to "help" the people behind us. Not the kind of service you'd expect from any hotel let alone the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank GHOST808

Dear Ghost808

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience and for bringing this matter to our attention. I am truly surprised to hear of this experience and I am sincerely sorry for the lack of service provided by the concierge. I will share your feedback with the Tour desk Management to ensure a similar experience does not occur again in the near future. On behalf of the Holiday Inn Midtown we sincerely apologize and regret the impact it caused to you and your family on your visit with us in NYC. We genuinely hope to be given another opportunity in the near future to show our improvements in the concierge overall service.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights and found staff who checked us in very helpful and nice. Our luggage was missing from previous flight and they offered us toothbrush/toothpaste and basic toiletries free of charge, they also let us check in early once a room became available. The door staff/bell man however were quite rude never acknowledged us our whole time there. Our room was quite large and livable but old and in need of a bit of an update especially the bathroom. Quiet location though and close enough to walk most places. lifts tiny and very slow. Mixed feelings about this property.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 913MelaniE
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear 913MelaniE

Thank you for sharing your pleasant experience with our front desk staff service and I sincerely apologize our bell staff dropped the ball in this instance and will immediately share your feed back in order to improve our service in the areas that may be needed as mentioned. We truly value you as our guest and genuinely apologize for the mixed feelings. Our property is half renovated and in the process of a full renovation and we really hope to see you again in the near future to be able to provide you an overall pleasant stay. We thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Holiday Inn Midtown is a good stopover hotel for a quick business trip to NYC. Price was right when I stayed (online deal) and room was what I expected. Hardworking Front Desk with decent knowledge of city.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear James F

Thank you very much for sharing your positive feed back of our front desk staff and for sharing your overall pleasant stay with us. It is always a great pleasure to hear how the service and accommodation provided was an overall pleasant experience. We genuinely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My first impression of this place was great - they let us check in early free of charge. However, that changed quickly. The elevators were tiny, came infrequently, and were not air conditioned. Then we went to shower, only to find black specks in the tub accompanying what looked like a spitball and a broken sink drain. Gross. We came back a little later to the sight of two men coming out of our room. They didn't say anything at first and looked at me like I was crazy. I asked why they were in my room and they said they were maintance and checking the phone. That's all good and fine, but they should have announced themselves and fixed the tub drain. They were wearing holiday inn uniforms, but I did not realize that until a few minutes in. They were dismissive and condescending. I was not impressed. When we went to go to bed, I realized that the curtains were sheer. Naturally we received an unwanted wake-up call from the sun as soon as it rose due to the lack of appropriate curtains. While they were large rooms, they were not clean and the facilities were quite old. I do not recommend it,regardless of the great rates offered. You get what you pay for in this instance and this hotel was unpleasant. I was tempted to ask for a partial refund, but the front desk was swamped when I checked out.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Mary G

Dear Mary G

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for sharing your experience of your stay at our property. I sincerely apologize for your less than pleasant stay and genuinely regret the impact it caused due to our maintenance staff service and the accommodation provided. I have shared your details with the Director of Engineering to investigate the matter and to inspect the tub drains in all our rooms in order to improve any areas needed to avoid a similar situation in the near future. Once again, our sincere apologies and we hope to show our improvements in the near future along with our newly renovated rooms.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We checked in over the 4th of July weekend, ostensibly to use one of the few, open roof top pools in NYC (it was cheaper for us to stay vs. fork over $75 each in cash). We never expected anything great, but the hotel nevertheless managed to under-deliver. As noted in some reviews, yes, the staff (especially pool entrance guy) treats you like a criminal, always assuming the worst. Shabby, old room, furnished with bed, desk, TV, lamps and chair. Dingy, dark and depressing. We thought the room was 'missing' some furniture - but house keeping told me "We don't supply arm chairs any more". OK. While pool is still great, it draws an odd mix of European tourists, 'regulars' (who have their chairs 'reserved' and greet each other enthusiastically) and some locals. As the day wears on, takes on a Felliniesque atmosphere. We were able to tolerate until...the pool was cleared due to 'vomit'. We left shortly after, and did not bother to go back on the now highly chemical pool Sunday. Granted, I am sure this is an unspoken hazard in every public pool, this establishment seems to ignore all NYC health codes - no requisite shower/foot bath before entering, infants allowed, you name it. So net net, too bad, because we've been there during the week when it's more tranquil, but bite the bullet, just pay for the pool (if you're willing to ignore what else could be lurking in the blue waters), but don't stay over night.

Room Tip: I don't know...it is what it is. I just would not expect to get a better room just because you...