“Business Trip”

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #351 of 466 Hotels in New York City
“Business Trip”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I attended at training at the Holiday Inn Midtwon from 07/28-08/01. Check in was smooth and I was immediately recognized as a IHG member. Check in was smooth and pleasant. The staff were friendly and assisted in all areas of my trip to NYC. I had brought two sons with me who needed activities while I was at my training. The hotel pool was clean and offered a fun place for my children to relax. The hotel restaraunt was clean, staff were friendly nad by New York standards quite reasonable. The breakfast buffet was large and provided many options at a very reasonable price.

The room was clean and efficient. The hotel is well maintained but is beginning to look as it may need some new carpeting or a little freshen up. It is well worth the price. The area is VERY safe and quite central. The subway is less than 2 blocks away and it was easy to navigate the city from the hotel. The area has many excellent restaraunts. Check in with the hotel and they will offer some GREAT recommendations.

The hotel is easy accessible by car. Parking is on site and for a car it is about $30 per day which is a good deal by NYC standards.

I would defintely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face 57th street as that can be a bit loud.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul K
Jasmin O, Social Media Representative at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2014
Dear Paul K:

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel received great service. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff's efforts and takes the time to say thank you. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to our staff! Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of being able to serve you in the future.

Kind Regards
Whayner Pitto
Social Media Representative

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sayreville, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I can't say enough about our wonderful stay here and do not understand the negative reviews. Such a bargain in NYC standards! (with tax and fees it was less than $250 per night)

The room was large (we had the king deluxe). View from room 1518 in the North Tower was perfect: interesting city buildings and the pool. Rooftop pool was a pleasant surprise. True, it does close at 6 PM, but we were lounging till around 6:30 and no one bothered us. Cheeseburger was fine, beer was cold, service was good, and music was enjoyable and not too loud. We didn't try the downstairs restaurant so I can't comment on that, but we really enjoyed a little pizza place called Casabianca across the street. Unlike some reviewers, we never had a long wait for the elevator. As we were leaving, there were huge packages being delivered; they were replacing some lounge chairs and TVs, apparantly undergoing a big remodeling project. Not sure if our room was already done, but the place was clean, linens fine, beds very comfy (they provide 2 soft and 2 firm pillows) and bathroom and closet nice and roomy. Also provided were a coffeemaker and an iron with full size ironing board.

No complaints, a great stay!

Room Tip: Top floors facing pool have a great view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank theatremaria
Jasmin O, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2014
Dear theatremaira,
Thank you for taking your time to write this review about your stay with us. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our efforts and takes the time to say thank you. We are happy to hear that the pool, room and services were up to par to you standards. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to our staff. Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Michael Melendez
Guest Service Supervisor
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

booked this hotel through price line and deeply regret it. we had to book two room since there was six of us travelling and we were not looking to spend a fourtune on a hotel since we were only using it to sleep and did not need a fancy expensive hotel. Usually Holiday Inns are clean and reputable but this one was far from it. When we arrived my brother had taken a shower and when he was finished he went to grab a towel only to find someone else's dry BLOOD on it. We called the front desk to tell them to bring up fresh towels and after a half hour they finally arrived. I asked the man who delivered them if they checked the rooms before the guest checked in and he replied saying the supervisors do and walked away. Clearly whoever checks the rooms needs glasses because later that night we also discovered blood spots on the sheets. The front desk staff were accommodating and asked if we wanted to be moved and gave us a free breakfast. When my other family members got into the second room we booked the iron did not work and the toilet leaked out of the bathroom onto the carpet and was soaking wet and made the room smell damp.
Not to mention we waited at least 10 minutes each morning to get the elevator because they only had 3 for 18 floors and only fit up to about 6 people. And finally to top it off the day we checked out we had stored our luggage for the day and me and my brother in law went to grab all our bags. The bell hop who got them said to us "there is no fee to hold the bags just a tip." so my brother in law handed him a dollar because all he did was open the storage door and we grabbed them ourselves. The bell hop then walked down the hall behind us while me and my brother in law who had a broken arm with a cast on carry our 5 suitcases, carry on bags and many shopping bags. Terrible experience. Do not go here.

1 Thank Samndyl
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank You for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel. Checking into a room with the towels or sheets not appearing clean can leave a negative lasting impression that overshadows the rest of any trip. Rest assured that your comments have been passed onto the Hotel Management Staff to investigate and prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future. It is troubling to see that you encountered difficulty receiving towels - I have brought your concerns to the team so they can be addressed. Let me assure that the comfort of our guests is a priority and this example is not typical of what we offer. Our primary goal is to gain customer loyalty through our service and it appears we failed to do this. I sincerely apologize for your experience with the bell staff and your feedback will be shared to avoid a similar experience in the near future. I hope that you will provide us the opportunity to demonstrate our improvements on a future visit. If you will like to contact me please feel free to e-mail me at mail@hi57.com.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Southold, New York
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have stayed in NYC many times and may have found a new favorite hotel. It is located in an area that was more of a residential atmosphere right near Central park versus touristy and on the weekend was not overwhelmingly busy (in a good way) It was a quick walk to a coffee shop and restaurants. The lobby looked newly renovated with a beautiful step down bar and an on site restaurant and gift shop. The gentleman that checked us in was a delight and very accomodating. Parking was right next door and the value was definately worth the stay. We will be back!

Room Tip: We were unaware that there is a rooftop pool and bar (open 10-6) and wished we could have taken adva...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Chrism.

Thank you very much for your positive feedback of our hotel. We are extremely happy to know that we are now your new favorite hotel! We are so happy to hear you had an overall pleasant stay and experience with our staff and accommodations provided during your stay. We genuinely look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This Holiday inn is terrible! The employees seem so unhappy most of them can even speak English properly hard to understand. Ice machine broken, Air conditioner in the rooms don't even work properly. The restaurant in the promises lacks ambiance the service it's terrible. waiters sit and chat around you when not busy. Everything looks so old and worn-out. The elevator it's so slow and old that may as well take the stairs.

Room Tip: Stay on another hotel
Dear Alexander Q

I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our primary goal is to gain customer loyalty through our service and it appears we failed to do this. I would greatly appreciate the chance to speak with you further about your stay – I can be reached at mail@hi57.com.

Orlando,FL
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel over the July 4th weekend, had to book 2 rooms to accomodate 2 adults and 3 teenagers. Pros and Cons:
Pros:
Good value hotel for NYC. Most hotels are typically very high priced, and the room sizes are not what you may have come to expect in similar chains if you frequent these type of chain hotels in most other US cities. This hotel is a pleasant exception! The rooms were quite large, in fact our king room in the south tower was bigger than average, in room sq ft. The bathroom, not so much. Not sure if they were completed with renovation, or were still working on it - the room looked renovated, but the small bathroom had a mis-matched tub that looked like it was about 25 years old. Also, no fans in bathroom, so musty, damp smell was a bit of a problem, but everything worked fine. We requested a roll away in the double room, and this was quite snug - it would have fit fine in the king room (note: there is a $25/day charge for the roll-away - nothing is free in NYC).
Great location - good access to several subway stations, cabs always available, hotel is sort of in a residential area so the streets are actually relatively quiet. Plenty of restaurants and convenience stores a couple of blocks in each direction, and shopping galore. Really, it is not possible to find any accomodations anywhere near this location at the same price point.
Front desk staff - I was a little worried at 1st impression. After I waited in line for about 10 minutes, the 1st person at the desk informed me "sorry, we can't check anyone in right now - the printer's broken". When I reminded her I was checking IN (why would I need a printer?) she seemed flustered and said I would just have to check back later. I then went to check on my companions, and when I turned around, I saw the other clerk was checking in a guest that was in line behind me - wth. I'll notch this up to maybe she was new, but the manager should have been available to sort things out. I then went to the other clerk, Aldi, and he was smooth and professional. Excellent service, accomodated a couple of special requests and acknowledged my Platinum member status (very nice - couple of free drinks in lieu of extra points).
Cons:
Rooftop pool: not sure whether to put this in the "Pros" or "Cons", but had to come down as a con strictly due to the operating hours. This is a great amenity, and really sets this location apart, especially at this price point. Then, they go and close it at 6 PM?!?! Unbelievable. After a busy day sightseeing, how nice would it have been to cool off and watch the sunset from a rooftop pool? Sorry, we close at 6...huh? I don't think I spoke with a single guest, and it is echoed over and over again in the reviews, everyone is mystified by this incredibly short sighted policy. Are there no lights on the roof? Lifegaurd union has to punch out by 6:00? Pigeons have reservations on the loungers to view the sunset from the roof? Only explanation I got, a service employee, was :"people don't really use the pool after 6 in NYC". HUH??? They don't use it because it's NOT OPEN. C'mon, rooftop bars and patios are clearly the hottest thing going right now (look right down the street from your hotel at the Viceroy - The Roof is hopping every night), hotels are scrambling all over the country, esp. in big cities, to add rooftop dining/bar options, and the HI on W 57th street has brilliantly decided to CLOSE their rooftop bar/pool at 6 PM. Please, will someone with some sanity take a close look at this policy? A little bit of marketing, a little bit of flexibility, and you would address 1 of your biggest complaints, turning a problem into an advantage. If anyone actually reads these reviews to actually gain insight into what their customers want, there's no way this couldn't be identified as a customer concern, and it seems to me like it would be easy to fix....if you read this far, you get the message - please...
Bellmen - perhaps it's a function of the entrance design, but most of the time the bellmen just hang around the desk. When you arrive, they should be more receptive to greeting guests outside. This would guarantee more tips for them, and more convenience for guests. If I've already schlepped my bags inside to the check-in, I'm going to go ahead and take them to my room - not go back and then request assistance. Get out there, guys!
Summary - if you ranked it solely based on condition and overall service, it would probably be ranked average, but I felt the exceptional service I received by some staff (Aldi, housekeeping), the overall value, and the location bumped it up a notch. Remember, hotel value is definitely relative in the world's most expensive cities - if you want a combination of location and value, what may be "average" in Omaha becomes very good or exceptional in NYC. I can recommend this hotel for NYC, and with a few tweaks and improvements, it could be exceptional.

Room Tip: South tower is quieter, North tower faces 57th street, refrigerators can be requested for $10/day
4 Thank rosebrien
Dear rosebrien

Thank you for your feedback of your experience at our property. I will like to thank you for bringing certain matters to our attention. Your feedback was shared with the staff and management to make the improvements in areas as mentioned and I sincerely apologize for the bell staff service and front desk staff service upon check-in. I am happy to hear Aldi was able to resolve the matter and check you and your family in immediately after the first your first impression/incident. Our hotel rooftop pool is open 10am - 6pm due to restrictions; however I am happy to share it has been staying open until 7pm. I apologize for the con's and truly appreciate you taking the time to also mention the pro's. We take your comments very seriously and will work on improving areas needing improvements in order to provide an overall pleasant experience with us at the Holiday Inn Midtown. We hope to see you again in the near future to show you our improvements.

Falkirk
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just back from New York and stayed at a great hotel. Travelled as a family of 2 adults and 3 children (aged 11,12 and 13). Great location on 57th street only 5 minutes walk from subway and 10 minutes from Central Park. Hotel staff were excellent and the rooms were off a great size. We and interconnected rooms and was great with all the luggage and the 3 kids! Free wifi throughout the hotel and was of a decent speed. Hotel had a rooftop pool which the kids loved after a hard day in New York although its huts too early at 6pm and too many beds reserved for gym users- remember its a hotel and hotel guests should come first. Also its very quite location at light so its great for a good nights sleep after the mayhem of New York. Had buffet breakfast each morning which the kids loved and was of a high standard. Would highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Douglas M
Dear Douglas M

Douglas M

Thank you very much for your very positive feedback of your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Midtown. We are so happy to hear you and your family had an overall pleasant experience at our property. I sincerely apologize the hours of operation of the pool closes at 6pm due to certain restrictions; however I am happy to share that we have been trying to keep it open until 7pm. It’s great to know you enjoyed your overall stay with the accommodations provided and our excellent staff. In addition thank you for mentioning the breakfast buffet and we are glad you had time to enjoy a great breakfast. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and genuinely thank you for highly recommending us. We hope to see you and your family again for another great visit.

Sincerely, Front Services Manager Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz