“Good location.”

Ranked #348 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Good location.”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff and management is making improvements with new carpet in registration area/main floor. Rooms are clean and seem to have updated carpet/bath tile/glazing. Hallways did need vacuuming and room service trays were left standing from the time I arrived in late evening until mid morning. Free USA today was nice!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank OnTheMoveMN
Jasmin O, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2014
Dear Onthemovemn,
Thank you for taking you time in writing your review on you stay at our property. As you are aware we are still in the process of renovations. We are glad you got to stay in our new renovated room. We will be sure to pass your kind words to our staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Guest Service Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This place is OK. Good location, OK room, nothing to complain about. Staff at reception is very helpful. However I found it incredible expensive at over 1000 USD for 3 nights. Breakfast should be included but it wasn't.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear TravelTigers

Thank you for sharing your review and for complimenting our staff being helpful. We appreciate your comments and are happy to know you enjoyed your stay. I sincerely apologize the value was considered expensive. We genuinely will like for you to visit us again, please check our promotions and best price packages including breakfast, we just know you will find a great value deal package at our property and we genuinely hope to see you again in the near future.

Front Services Manager Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz
Reviewed 12 August 2014

After having read some wildly mixed reviews about this hotel prior to our stay, I arrived at the Midtown Holiday Inn with considerable trepidation. Although I tend to dismiss the more hyperbolic reviews; the ones which stop just short of comparing the hotel to an outbuilding in the Gulag, I did see some recurring themes which caused me some concern before our trip to New York. Now that our four day stay is complete, I feel that I have a pretty good sense of this hotel and I will try to give my own perspective on what I thought were the most serious and consistent complaints and whether I found any validity to them.

Issue #1-Rumors of rudeness at the front desk. We arrived at the hotel at around 2:00 on a Wednesday and were checked in by a man who's name I believe was Aldi. (Hope I got that right). He was courteous and patient, answering all of our questions. We were allowed to check in immediately and were given a choice of room, with Aldi giving us useful advice that rooms facing the street were more interesting but also more noisy, and rooms facing the courtyard were boring but quiet. We chose boring and quiet and were given a room on the 9th floor which met these expectations (more on that later). The concierges were courteous and helpful as well, if a bit harried at times. It would have been helpful to have had more than one on duty at a time as there often was a line. If we had one complaint here it was that they tried to steer us toward using the hotel car service back to LaGuardia rather than recommending a cab, which probably would have been a little cheaper. The hotel car probably does make sense for those going to JFK, as I believe that's a longer cab ride and in that case the flat rate ($45) would be a little cheaper.

Issue#2-Suspicious smells. There is some truth to this one. We definitely noticed a stale, sort of locker room odor when we first entered our room. It was not overwhelming and it improved over the course of our stay. Either we got used to it or replaced it with our own stale, sweaty tourist smell. If you stay in room #906 and it smells like two sweaty adults and two sweaty kids, sorry. I would recommend packing a bottle of Febreze just in case.

Issue#3-Nattering Nabobs of Noisiness. I read many complaints of thin walls and noisy housekeepers but we experienced none of this. We were in the north tower facing the courtyard and the pool, and our room was very quiet. My only complaint is that the room door hinges are spring loaded so the doors slam shut automatically. During high traffic hours you could hear lots of slamming, as if everyone was leaving in a huff. One non-noise related aside; I was awakened on Thursday as the sun streamed in through the thin curtains. It took some searching, but there is a thicker moveable curtain located behind some heavy stationary curtains on either side of the windows, if that makes sense. Look for them and you will find them.

Issue#4-Pathological Pool Protectors. I was almost afraid to go to the pool after having read about the alleged complicated process and hostility of the gatekeepers of the rooftop pool. It turned out that we simply had to write our room number and how many people were in our room on a sign in sheet before entering the pool area. That was it. No one bothered us or made us feel unwelcome and the pool was never crowded (maybe because we always went in the morning) during our stay. It is too bad that the pool closes at 6:00 p.m., but thanks to TripAdvisor we knew this in advance and planned around it. The pool is a marvelous feature of the hotel and it was a pleasure to be up there swimming and lounging on deck chairs 10 stories above the city streets, taking in the view and occasionally catching a whiff from some of the restaurants down below.

Issue#5-Lugubrious Lifts. Oh, those elevators! Having read some of the horror stories posted by other guests, I fully expected to have to take the stairs up and down nine floors or perhaps tie bedsheets together and climb out the window, but the elevator service wasn't too bad. There was an occasional wait during peak hours, and I did have one horrific experience which I will share here. With my family waiting in the lobby (I had to run back to the room, or something, I don't remember) I stood and waited probably 10 minutes while a series of fully packed elevators came and went. I finally decided to hoof it down the nine floors, only to learn at the bottom that there was no access to the lobby from the stairwell, only an exit to the street. I decided to take my chances on the next available elevator which was going up. This one took me all the way to the 17th floor before beginning its tedious, floor by floor descent, reaching the 6th floor before deciding to go UP again! We went up to, I think, the 11th floor before going back down. All of us on the elevator let out a cheer when we were finally liberated to the lobby.

Issue#6- Lousy Loo. The bathroom showed its age but overall was fine. The toilet lever required a little jiggling at times (I found ours worked better if you pulled it up), and it made a sort of Godzilla-like groan when flushed, but it worked, so really there wasn't much to complain about. The shower was fine.

Issue#7-Appalling Air conditioners. I was quite concerned about this one as it seemed that so many reviews, even the generally positive ones, mentioned that the AC struggled to keep the rooms cool. Maybe it was because we had good weather, (mid 80's during the day and low 70's-high 60's at night) but our room was very cool and comfortable for our entire stay.

So, there you have it. In my opinion, the positives of this hotel far outweigh the negatives, and I believe that starts with the staff. We were treated with courtesy all the way from the front desk to housekeeping, which is what you would expect from a well known hotel chain. The midtown Manhattan location is fantastic and the rooftop pool makes this place unique. The neighborhood feels safe and is quiet. We had a wonderful trip and would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are quieter than rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Phineous T
Jasmin O, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2014
Dear Phineous T,
Thank your for taking your time to write this wonderful and detailed review on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn-Midtown 57st. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed you overall stay with us and that you feel you received great service. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping our valued guest, like you, satisfaction as our top priority. We will be sure to pass your kind words to our front desk, housekeeping and concierge staff. Thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to accommodating your future travel needs.

Pottsville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were very pleased with the location, as it was closely located to Central Park, which was the main theme of our trip. In addition it was close to a subway stop, so it was very convenient. The price was right for the location. The two disappointment’s were that there were no black out blinds to encase the room in darkness for the evening and morning. There was just to much light. The other downfall was that the pool was not open, which was an additional reason as to why we booked this hotel. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Grant y,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that our location and service was up to par to your standards. We want to clarify about the room darkness. We do have blackout curtains which is standard in all of our room. The blackout curtains are located behind the transparent sheers. We are delighted in reading that you will be visiting us again soon and we look forward to have another opportunity of welcoming you back.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 August 2014

You're staying at a Holliday Inn for a reason. You're attempting to save some money, still be in the heart of the "action" in Manhattan and stay at a reasonably clean/affordable hotel. Remember: When you're in Manhattan, you're not staying a hotel to stay IN the hotel; it's simply a place to shower and sleep. That's precisely what this hotel offers. I stayed here over the weekend of 8/8-8/10 for my birthday.

I thought the hotel itself was clean
My room was nicely cleaned
The bed was comfortable
Hi-speed internet was offered

Was this on par with a top-of-the-line Hyatt? Of course not. But you're paying significantly less money to stay here vs. that hotel. I'd imagine 99.9% of the critiques of this hotel are specifically those that are comparing that type of hotel to this one.

BTW: Great little pub around the corner on 9th called Lincoln Park - good beer specials and great bar/pub food.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank IlliniGuy76
Dear llliniGuy76,
Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. We are always pleased to receive acknowledgment of such a positive nature. We are delighted to know that our rooms and WiFi was up to your standards. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Rising Sun, Maryland
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Alright so I'm normally not a picky person in the slightest, but I wouldn't come back to this hotel on my own dollar.

Upon arrival, there is valet parking that rushes you out of the car and to collect everything you'll need from the car. I wasn't prepared for that so I was kind of flustered trying to get everything together and in the shuffle I misplaced my phone.

Inside, they will hold your bags for you if you arrive before your check in time like we did, which was nice.

After our day in NYC, we checked in at about 5 and the staff was friendly and accommodating. We retrieved our bags and waited for the extremely small and slow elevator to our room #406. Room itself wasn't cramped like I read a lot of NYC hotels to be and everything was very clean. The TV was a Samsung and actually one of the biggest I've ever had in a hotel. Aside from that, the bathroom areas were smaller to make up for the larger room though it wasn't unbearably small. We got an inside room and had absolutely no view. (See pictures) Even if we did get an outside room, the only view would be of the street though I admit it would have been better than nothing.

I slept well in the bed, though my boyfriend and 2 other friends complained of aching backs upon waking up. I was shocked I slept well because you could clearly hear doors slamming throughout your floor even with the tv volume considerably loud.

A few other notable annoyances: my friend had to search on 4 different floors for a working and stocked soda machine to get a water. It was ridiculous. We eventually filled our ice bucket and waited for it to melt the next morning.
The towels were the WORST I've ever experienced in a hotel. Felt like sandpaper.
The plug in next to my bed barely worked, one little bump and your phone charger would be off.

It was a short 10 minute walk to Central Park which is one of the best things about the hotel in my opinion. Other than that, there isn't much located close to the hotel itself.

For the price you pay, continue looking for somewhere else for your NYC stay.

Room Tip: Don't book here
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Tara M

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay with us. We sincerely apologize for the rush you felt with the valet parking and I will certainly share your feedback in order to improve this area of service. I am really happy to hear that after the parking incident you had a nice experience with our bell staff holding your luggage's before checking into our hotel. We also appreciate you sharing that our staff is friendly and accommodating. I sincerely apologize for your friends discomfort in sleeping due to noise or mattress comfort. We understand how expensive NYC can get and apologize if the price and value was not overall great. I will like this opportunity to share that we have many promotions and discounted rate offers, please check our site for more information. We genuinely hope to get another opportunity and just know you will find a great value with our packages.

Front Services Manager Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Toronto, Canada

The two double bed room for 4 adults is too small
The bathroom is small and makes the room smell damp
The shower is very dated and our soap tray was broken (it did eventually get fixed during our stay)
The smoke detector kept beeping one morning because the battery needed to be changed. We called the front desk numerous times and no one came to change it even though we were told "the engineers are on the way"
Room was hot - air conditioner didn't seem to work well.
Room needed more lighting
Closet door did not fit well on its track
Not much of a view but we didn't ask for one
Coffee maker but no fridge
Close to central park and a subway station
About 15 minute walk to times square
Would have expected something nicer for the price but it was clean, just very old.

• Stayed August 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear ihearttravel2307,

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the room size, bathroom condition, room amenities and air conditioning. We will address these concerns. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.