“Older but a great value”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #351 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stay at many IHG hotels in NYC, and this has the largest rooms next to the Intercontinental. While the property is older, it is clean and well maintained. It is in a area where night sirens are little heard. Two blocks from the park and the subway. Many places to eat down on 9th ave.

Room Tip: Higher the better in NYC
1  Thank Kazoo_Bruce
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Kazoo_Bruce

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Midtown. Thank you for mentioning our large accommodations and overall cleanliness. Our property is completing the renovation project and we genuinely can't wait for your return visit to experience a more up to date property. Thank you for staying with us.

Front Services Manager Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz

There are newer reviews for The Watson Hotel

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed 4 days in August. Hotel is conveniently located near Central Park and Colombus Circle. Although it is dated, it was clean. Not in bad shape at all. Room is small but to be expected. Bathroom not big, but when your in New York your not in your room much. Sleep, shower and go sightseeing. The pool was nice, but lots of kids. WiFi worked great. Valet Parking no issues; and I had free parking passes in my welcome package.

4  Thank Vince B
Jasmin O, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2014

Dear Vince B,
Thank you for you great review on your stay at the Holiday Inn-Midtown 57st. We are delighted to here that our location, rooms, Wi-Fi services and valet parking was up to par with what you expect at a New York city property. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Because of the ludicrously advantageous location of this hotel, Holiday Inn had decided that it "Just. Doesn't. Care." So your room smells like smoke? (And you don't like that?) So what? So the pool hasn't been cleaned? (Deal with it. And watch your purse poolside.) Do you want an overpriced drink served by a smug robot bartender? Go to the bar (sucker!). You examine your sheets for evidence of previous guests, and sleep uneasily. If you have ever lacked evidence of a cold, indifferent corporate machine running the world, look no further: this sad, somewhat evil place exists. They want whatever is in your wallet. Run. Fast. (As my young daughter (10) has said countless times as we have since traveled, "That was the worst hotel, ever.")

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Barracoon
Jasmin O, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Barracoon

I sincerely apologize for your less than pleasant experience with us. I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping Director due to any room odor as described. We are a non smoking facility and regret any impact the accommodation provided may have caused due to smoke odor. Our pool is frequently checked by our staff and I will immediately share your concerns and comments with our Director of Engineering to properly investigate the pool area cleanliness. We take your comments very seriously and sincerely apologize for your discomfort with our property.

Senior Guest Services Manager Janette Webb

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff and management is making improvements with new carpet in registration area/main floor. Rooms are clean and seem to have updated carpet/bath tile/glazing. Hallways did need vacuuming and room service trays were left standing from the time I arrived in late evening until mid morning. Free USA today was nice!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank OnTheMoveMN

Dear Onthemovemn,
Thank you for taking you time in writing your review on you stay at our property. As you are aware we are still in the process of renovations. We are glad you got to stay in our new renovated room. We will be sure to pass your kind words to our staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This place is OK. Good location, OK room, nothing to complain about. Staff at reception is very helpful. However I found it incredible expensive at over 1000 USD for 3 nights. Breakfast should be included but it wasn't.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear TravelTigers

Thank you for sharing your review and for complimenting our staff being helpful. We appreciate your comments and are happy to know you enjoyed your stay. I sincerely apologize the value was considered expensive. We genuinely will like for you to visit us again, please check our promotions and best price packages including breakfast, we just know you will find a great value deal package at our property and we genuinely hope to see you again in the near future.

Front Services Manager Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz

Reviewed 12 August 2014

After having read some wildly mixed reviews about this hotel prior to our stay, I arrived at the Midtown Holiday Inn with considerable trepidation. Although I tend to dismiss the more hyperbolic reviews; the ones which stop just short of comparing the hotel to an outbuilding in the Gulag, I did see some recurring themes which caused me some concern before our trip to New York. Now that our four day stay is complete, I feel that I have a pretty good sense of this hotel and I will try to give my own perspective on what I thought were the most serious and consistent complaints and whether I found any validity to them.

Issue #1-Rumors of rudeness at the front desk. We arrived at the hotel at around 2:00 on a Wednesday and were checked in by a man who's name I believe was Aldi. (Hope I got that right). He was courteous and patient, answering all of our questions. We were allowed to check in immediately and were given a choice of room, with Aldi giving us useful advice that rooms facing the street were more interesting but also more noisy, and rooms facing the courtyard were boring but quiet. We chose boring and quiet and were given a room on the 9th floor which met these expectations (more on that later). The concierges were courteous and helpful as well, if a bit harried at times. It would have been helpful to have had more than one on duty at a time as there often was a line. If we had one complaint here it was that they tried to steer us toward using the hotel car service back to LaGuardia rather than recommending a cab, which probably would have been a little cheaper. The hotel car probably does make sense for those going to JFK, as I believe that's a longer cab ride and in that case the flat rate ($45) would be a little cheaper.

Issue#2-Suspicious smells. There is some truth to this one. We definitely noticed a stale, sort of locker room odor when we first entered our room. It was not overwhelming and it improved over the course of our stay. Either we got used to it or replaced it with our own stale, sweaty tourist smell. If you stay in room #906 and it smells like two sweaty adults and two sweaty kids, sorry. I would recommend packing a bottle of Febreze just in case.

Issue#3-Nattering Nabobs of Noisiness. I read many complaints of thin walls and noisy housekeepers but we experienced none of this. We were in the north tower facing the courtyard and the pool, and our room was very quiet. My only complaint is that the room door hinges are spring loaded so the doors slam shut automatically. During high traffic hours you could hear lots of slamming, as if everyone was leaving in a huff. One non-noise related aside; I was awakened on Thursday as the sun streamed in through the thin curtains. It took some searching, but there is a thicker moveable curtain located behind some heavy stationary curtains on either side of the windows, if that makes sense. Look for them and you will find them.

Issue#4-Pathological Pool Protectors. I was almost afraid to go to the pool after having read about the alleged complicated process and hostility of the gatekeepers of the rooftop pool. It turned out that we simply had to write our room number and how many people were in our room on a sign in sheet before entering the pool area. That was it. No one bothered us or made us feel unwelcome and the pool was never crowded (maybe because we always went in the morning) during our stay. It is too bad that the pool closes at 6:00 p.m., but thanks to TripAdvisor we knew this in advance and planned around it. The pool is a marvelous feature of the hotel and it was a pleasure to be up there swimming and lounging on deck chairs 10 stories above the city streets, taking in the view and occasionally catching a whiff from some of the restaurants down below.

Issue#5-Lugubrious Lifts. Oh, those elevators! Having read some of the horror stories posted by other guests, I fully expected to have to take the stairs up and down nine floors or perhaps tie bedsheets together and climb out the window, but the elevator service wasn't too bad. There was an occasional wait during peak hours, and I did have one horrific experience which I will share here. With my family waiting in the lobby (I had to run back to the room, or something, I don't remember) I stood and waited probably 10 minutes while a series of fully packed elevators came and went. I finally decided to hoof it down the nine floors, only to learn at the bottom that there was no access to the lobby from the stairwell, only an exit to the street. I decided to take my chances on the next available elevator which was going up. This one took me all the way to the 17th floor before beginning its tedious, floor by floor descent, reaching the 6th floor before deciding to go UP again! We went up to, I think, the 11th floor before going back down. All of us on the elevator let out a cheer when we were finally liberated to the lobby.

Issue#6- Lousy Loo. The bathroom showed its age but overall was fine. The toilet lever required a little jiggling at times (I found ours worked better if you pulled it up), and it made a sort of Godzilla-like groan when flushed, but it worked, so really there wasn't much to complain about. The shower was fine.

Issue#7-Appalling Air conditioners. I was quite concerned about this one as it seemed that so many reviews, even the generally positive ones, mentioned that the AC struggled to keep the rooms cool. Maybe it was because we had good weather, (mid 80's during the day and low 70's-high 60's at night) but our room was very cool and comfortable for our entire stay.

So, there you have it. In my opinion, the positives of this hotel far outweigh the negatives, and I believe that starts with the staff. We were treated with courtesy all the way from the front desk to housekeeping, which is what you would expect from a well known hotel chain. The midtown Manhattan location is fantastic and the rooftop pool makes this place unique. The neighborhood feels safe and is quiet. We had a wonderful trip and would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are quieter than rooms facing the street.
8  Thank Phineous T
Jasmin O, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2014

Dear Phineous T,
Thank your for taking your time to write this wonderful and detailed review on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn-Midtown 57st. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed you overall stay with us and that you feel you received great service. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping our valued guest, like you, satisfaction as our top priority. We will be sure to pass your kind words to our front desk, housekeeping and concierge staff. Thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to accommodating your future travel needs.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were very pleased with the location, as it was closely located to Central Park, which was the main theme of our trip. In addition it was close to a subway stop, so it was very convenient. The price was right for the location. The two disappointment’s were that there were no black out blinds to encase the room in darkness for the evening and morning. There was just to much light. The other downfall was that the pool was not open, which was an additional reason as to why we booked this hotel. We would stay here again.

Dear Grant y,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that our location and service was up to par to your standards. We want to clarify about the room darkness. We do have blackout curtains which is standard in all of our room. The blackout curtains are located behind the transparent sheers. We are delighted in reading that you will be visiting us again soon and we look forward to have another opportunity of welcoming you back.