“I HAD A GREAT STAY HERE!”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #347 of 467 Hotels in New York City
LA
“I HAD A GREAT STAY HERE!”
Reviewed 23 June 2009

The Holiday Inn on W. 57th Street definitely exceeded my expectations. My room was small, but clean and well appointed, with great bedding. The staff was helpful. The gym is actually a serious, no-frills local gym located in the basement, very much like the one I go to in Los Angeles (Body Builders in Silver Lake). The shop in the lobby offers plenty of snacks and the prices are not exorbitant. I took advantage of the reasonably priced shuttle to JFK, but be advised that you should book your shuttle seat 24 hours in advance. The west side location is very convenient, a short walk to Columbus Circle and Central Park. Overall, I give the Holiday Inn 57th Street high marks. They are definitely making an effort in all areas, including pricing. This is a particularly good place to stay if you are a former New Yorker or know your way around the city and don't need to be babied.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
glasgow
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Very tired drab shabby hotel smells badly of cigarette smoke good location but thats the
only plus that I can think of

• Stayed May 2009

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights with my family. The rooms were larger than the average NYC hotel room I've experienced. Check in was easy as was check out. I rated this at 4 because the price, location and room size couldn't be beat. Keep in mind that this is not a fancy hotel. It is a bit worn around the edges but it is clean and comfortable. I was not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised when I saw the property and room. The place was quiet. One negative was The A/C didn't work that well. Luckily it was cool the days we were in town. Our room was on floor 2 and faced the parking lot. I did not hear any street noise. Big plus is central location. I have an 8 year old and 5 year old and we walked a lot. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the park and Times Square. We walked from the Natural History Museum to FAO Schwartz to Times Square. For longer treks we used the subway. I gave my 8 year old a subway map and he guided us through. Subway is easy enough for an 8 year old to navigate. There is a subway station a couple blocks up at 57th and 8th ave. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant. I was not impressed with the restaurant at all. Food was average and service spotty. I'm still rating the hotel a 4 because I know better not to eat in hotel restaurants especially in NYC where food is on every corner. I would stay here again based on location and price paid.

2 Thank Jake427
denver
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I've stayed here several times and continue to be impressed with the pre-trip help and the service when I arrived. For the price and what you get I believe it's the best deal in mid-town. You can get nicer but you also will pay $200-300 more. It's in a quiet part of town and five minutes from subways. A great deli is a two minute walk down the street with great food. Plus, you're a ten minute walk from Central Park. I can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed June 2009
california
Reviewed 13 June 2009

The hotel is old and smelly and dirty!!! I originally asked for a nonsmoking room and they gave us a stinky dirty old room. I requested the front desk for antoher room and was told that they normally wouldn't change the room but eventually they gave me another room. The new room still smelled bad with the wall papers peeling and the popcorn ceiling falling all over the coffee pot. It was disgusting but since the hotel had no other rooms available I couldnt request to be moved again. The air conditioning got my teenage son sick . The bathroom is small with molds on the ceiling and the beds are old and lumpy. I could go on and on and on. The only good thing was the location - it was walking distance to 5th avenue.

1 Thank LyLCAP
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 12 June 2009

We stayed here over the weekend and found it to be very nice and not too far from the main attractions. wee walked everywhere and only took a taxi at the end of the night to get back because by the time we did head back it was late and we were exhausted. Overall nice place if you are just looking for a place to sleep which is what we were looking for.

Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Myself and two other female friends stayed at this hotel and we were very pleased. The room was great and very clean. The bathroom couldn't be better. We paid $160 including taxes. I've stayed in other hotels for the same price which never even came close to meeting the standards of this hotel. I think this hotel is a real find for the money. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. They held our baggage after checkout while we explored Manhattan all day. I highly recommend this hotel. It is in a safe area, there is a nice restaurant for breakfast that is not too far, on 8th Ave near 55th street called the Applewood. There is also a very nice Italian restaurant on 9th Street near the hotel, Ralph's Italian Restaurant. The food was great and inexpensive. I think you would be happy with this hotel and its location.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends