“Disappointed”

Ranked #289 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Broken Hill, Australia
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

No help with luggage either from valet or bell hop
Cold check in and checkout
Brown sludge out of taps
Bathroom in need of repair
Sheets and towels need upgrading
A/C even though reception said engineering would look at it , room remained hot and stuffy
Resturant breakfast Terrible and to automatically charge 18 per cent tip?
Can see why it's pay up front otherwise would have checked out and gone elsewhere
Does the staff realise your guests stay help pay their wages ? Aussie Aussie NO NO

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Joshua252
Michelle S, Front Office Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to first apologize for the inconveniences that you incurred with your stay. Let me assure you that that is not how we run our excellent customer service and apologize that that was not the case with your stay. I will speak with our staff about the issues you have raised and really do appreciate your feedback.
We are happy to announce that we are in the process of changing our HVAC units to better service our guests. As for the restaurant they are a separate entity and I will speak to them about the procedures.
Again please except our sincere apology and hope that if your travels bring you back to our wonderful city that you will give us the opportunity to show you the excellent service that we strive on.
Michelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
La Marina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Skyline for two nights prior to a coach trip. It is reasonably well situated with lots of local facilities for eating and drinking.
The beds are comfortable and the food fine, but a little bit pricey.
Staff are efficient and civil, but not welcoming or helpful.
Good for a night or two, but we have stayed in better, cheaper hotels before in NYC

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Johnfris
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
I am sorry it seems to have just met your expectation, not exceed them. I am glad you found our rooms clean and comfortable. i hope you had a good trip during your travels.

Best regards,
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

For 10 guys on a weekend on NYC it suited our purpose. Big room, although it did smell quite badly on entry. Room was basic. TV, iron, fridge (not stocked).
I still don't understand how wifi is available in hotels throughout Europe but in NY hotels you have to pay for it. 3.95per 30mins.
The cleaning lady was determined to get into the room at 8am, 830am, 9am...we eventually relented.
The hotel is a walk to the subway but only a couple of blocks to Central Park, broadway shops and the subway. Also 9th Ave is packed with nice places to eat.
The hotel bar is a tapas bar with separate street access. It was ok, nothing exceptional.
Overall it was ok, nothing mind blowing.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the red cross on the 6th floor were quiet enough but this was NY.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank D15_Traveller
Thank you for your response and hope you had a good time in NYC.

Regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I spent three evenings at the Skyline May 8th,9th and 10th. This hotel is located in Hell's Kitchen and is within comfortable walking distance to TIme Square, Theatre and tons of great restaurants and activities. The rooms are very spacious. I have stayed in a number of other boutique/ older hotels where there isn't any room to turn around in your room. This room had two double beds, TV, mini fridge, safe and desk. The room was very clean and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. There is an extra mirror and counter outside of the washroom which may come in handy if you are sharing the space with another person. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I noticed a number of tour groups also use this hotel. (probably due to the spacious rooms) For breakfast you may choose to eat at the hotel - for a more economic option you can check out the Skyline Gourmet Deli across the street you can get a great breakfast sandwich for around three dollars. I spent most of my time sight seeing and doing activities and this hotel was excellent to use as a home base.(I didn't get a chance to use the pool but I noticed a number of people accessing it)

Room Tip: Rooms on the North or South side of the building have less traffic outside.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank JazzKeys73
I hope next time you will have an opportunity to use our salt water pool over looking the NYC skyline. I am happy we meet and it seems exceeded your expectations of the hotel. hoping you a nice summer in Canada,

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Mold, itchy skin from bedding, stained towels, ripped towels, dirty smelling sheets,and overpriced for what you get. We left mid stay, ate the financial loss and went to a hotel right across from central park! got two rooms for only 80 dollars more than the skyline was charging for their "suite“. Really do your research before spending your hard earned money at this place.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank KingKale76
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
I have sent you a email to your trip advisor address. I am hoping to find out what happened, since I have never had a guest complaint about our sheets or towels. I would like to better understand if there is something else that happened while you and your family stayed here.
I truly hope to know the room number and reason for your review, so we can correct the issue.
Porto, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I spent 2 nights at this hotel and I must say that the quality was well below what I've read about it.
The Location is decent, away from the busiest avenues in NYC, but still at a walking distance. Is maybe good for groups since that is parking place nearby. the good thing is that in 9 th avenue there are some good restaurants that are not so expensive or busy as other parts of the city.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable.
The wi-fi is payed and still very slow, which is something I don't understand.
The restaurant is also expensive and not very good, although they offer free internet there.
But for me the worst id the staff, they are not kind and they are only looking for tips, I had 2 episodes in 2 days that were enough for me:
1. The internet besides slow was not working and I had to call the toll free number. At check out I've noticed they charged this phone call in my room, but after complaining they promised not to charge. My surprise some days later is that they have charged any way!
2. They charge 1 USD for every bag you leave with the Bell boy, which I can understand, but when I asked the receipt they said that was a tip and not a service fro the Hotel, how can something that is mandatory be a tip and not subject to receipt.
I've returned to NYC the following week and I made sure I choose another hotel, less expensive, better located and with better staff.
It's very uncommon for me not to like an Hotel, but I must say I didn't like this one.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Pedritocalheiros
I am very sorry you left the hotel upset over a internet charge. I have no way to know who you are, as I would follow up on your request not to be charge for poor internet service. at the present time, the internet service is an outside vendor, who charges for the service. As of June 2014 we will be placing our own new free internet system.

As to the bellman charge of 1.00 a bag, this is a contractual union agreement with the bellman to store guest luggage. This is not to offend our guest, but you certainly have a right to your opinion.
Niagara Falls, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Our double room was spacious and clean. We enjoyed the pool several times. The maid service was great. It is a bit of a hike to Times Square but not to far. The neighborhood was quiet just like our room.

2 Thank Brandie B
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Such nice comments, thank you. We are very proud of our staff and the cleanliness of the property. Yes, all of our rooms are spacious, expect the 16 twin bedded rooms, which we do refer to us cozy at a great price. next time I hope you can request a queen/ queen or a king in our back building, they are very spacious, over 410 sq. ft.

Best Regards,