“Solid hotel in a great location”
Review of Skyline Hotel

Skyline Hotel
Ranked #268 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Solid hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

If you don't need or want to be directly in the center of NYC, but want to be close to everything this is a great location. It's a short walk to Times Square or the USS Intrepid and right in the midst of Hell's Kitchen. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars nearby. The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly and the beds are comfortable. Our room was one of the expanded ones with an extra room and pullout couch for kids or adults. It has quite a bit more space than other hotels in NYC for the same price. I've stayed in some terrible hotels in NYC for the same price or more. This is a solid choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
We would like to sign you up to be in charge of our marketing of the hotel. Everything from great location to comfortable beds to nice staff to great value, says it all.

I hope you can vusit us again in the near future.

Warm regards,
Mark Hurewitz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Frankfort, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was our first family trip to NYC and I chose this hotel because of the location, easy access from the tunnel, parking convenience (and price) and pool. The reviews were pretty accurate. The rooms were clean and there was enough space for the 4 of us. We used the pool and the water was warm! Staff was friendly but the valet was not particularly warm and fuzzy but I wouldn't be either if someone pulled up in a conversion van. I wish they offered some sort of breakfast but there are ample restaurants nearby. And the WIFI was free as promised.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello Illinois , hoping you had a good trip back home and thank you for taking the time to let everyone know about your experience at the hotel. Location is important, but knowing your enjoyed the room and staff is great. Sorry, if the garage did not show the same sense of hospitality, as you know it is not operated by the hotel. However, it is important to get fedback to share with the garage mangement.

Best Regards,
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is decent. Room was clean (502) and the staff was friendly. Our A/C unit shut off on its own a couple times which required them to send someone up twice but they got it fixed.

DO NOT USE THE VALET PARKING SERVICE HERE. THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! They parked the car and I needed to go get something I forgot inside of the car. When i get to my car I notice it is less than half an inch from the curb (not even a finger gap). This concerned me so I look at my wheels quickly to see if they scraped. I notice white stuff on my tire as if they brushed up on the curb. I inspect closely by feeling where there was white and could feel the curb rash on my wheel which I KNOW FOR A FACT HAD NO FLAWS WHATSOEVER. So I bring it to the valets attention and he begins to deny it and basically call me a liar and refers me to the manager named Leo. I will speak with him about this and write a follow-up review. DO NOT USE THIS PARKING GARAGE/SERVICE UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR CAR DAMAGED. STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed July 2014
I am glad you were pleased with the hotel, but your experience with the garage seems have dampened your experience. While the garage is not owned by the hotel, we are certainly concerned how they treat our guest. I have included a contact and number for the garage, if you want to pursue the issues you outlined; Primary Parking Robert Goroy 917-440-8518

Sorry for the frustration you must feel,

Dorado, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I've stayed in this hotel a number of times (just got back) after discovering they had a large indoor pool and were close to virtually everything on the west side of Manhattan and only minutes from subways to the east side and elsewhere. You can walk practically everywhere. Figure it takes about one minute walking north and south, three minutes east and west. Rooms are large and clean, staff is friendly and efficient and the manager has an open door policy (and a beautiful aquarium) that encourages conversation. It welcomes families and travelers from all over the world, making for interesting elevator conversations. If swimming is important to you, ask to stay in that wing of the hotel. The gym's on that side of the building as well. If you love beautiful, well-tended horses, the NYPD Mounted Police stables are nearby.

Room Tip: You're not here for the views and who stays in their room much anyway? But some look out toward...
1 Thank pmcnoahs
First, thank you for staying with us again and of course, writing a well thought out review of the Skyline Hotel. It is always interesting to hear of reasons why our guest love the location of the hotel, like the police horse stable near by.

We look forward to your trip next year to NYC and the Skyline Hotel.

Warmest regards,
Mark Hurewitrz
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Skyline Hotel is located an easy ten minute walk to Times Square. Stayed at this hotel twice, the first time the room was very good. The second stay was in what seemed an older part of the hotel. Issues with no hot water in the bathroom and the plumbing needs an update. The air conditioning unit was fairly noisy and did not cool the room down too well.

The hotel is located in Hells Kitchen district with a heap of restaurants, cafes, and deli's to choose from.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The swimming pool on the top level was great.
Highly recommend the bar/bistro attached to the hotel. High quality service and food.

Overall the hotel is quite good, but needs to but some work into maintenance of some of the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. Yes, we do have two buildings, the front building which is five stories has each room with two double beds. The back building, which is nine stories and has either two queen beds, king bed with sofa or our family suites. Both buildings were recently renovated, but the back building is a little nicer and is slightly more money per night.

I thank you for choosing the Skyline,
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is quite good for a basic hotel and in a great location. It's about a 15 minute walk to Times Square. The hotel lobby is quite small but the staff are great and we were really impressed with the concierge who took a lot of time to help us and was very forthcoming with the information he gave us - friendly and entertaining!
Our room was on the second floor. Everything was clean, the beds were comfortable, the shower good quality and the blackout curtains did their job. The room was cleaned every day and the beds made, fresh towels brought in, great! The things I didn't like about the room were: noisy air conditioning unit (had to be turned off at night), and thin walls and ceiling (we heard a lot of stomping about from the room above ours at 4 o'clock every morning).
There is a bar downstairs which had music coming from it - we didn't use it but not for any reason, just because we preferred to go out - who wouldn't. Upstairs there is a pool. It's tiny, and quite cold - really, don't bother.
All in all though, a good hotel for the price considering the location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms comfortable. I was a little surprised that you found the pool to be small and cold. The pool is heated and is 20 by 40 and is one of the few indoor pools located in a hotel in NYC.

Regards,
new york
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

a cheap price (for a new york, I mean ) with excellent service and room!also good bar on the ground floor. Because this hotel is located on the 10th Ave., less traffic taking taxi to and from downtown. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2014
We are happy we met your needs and provided a great experience.

Regards,