“Good location”
Review of Salisbury Hotel

Salisbury Hotel
Ranked #312 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel ( the first in 2009). We stayed for 8 nights having Christmas Day in New York. Great location to explore NYC- close to subway. Great market place (Morton Williams) across the road for hot dinners that can be eaten upstairs or can be taken back to the room to eat(don't forget the plastic cutlery provided). Room was spacious by NYC standards and was clean, but a little tired.staff were not as friendly this time, barely raised eye-contact. Beds were firm. We went and bought a couple of air mattresses from KMart (a few metro stops away) instead of paying the $30 PER NIGHT fee for a rollaway bed for our kids, which housekeeping actually made up each morning.
We did not frequent breakfast, we bought from across the road.
Ask for a room with bedrooms to the back if you don't want to hear all the New York traffic - some people love it, we don't.
We would stay here again because of the location and the reasonable price we got on Expedia, but would also investigate further for other options

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,004)

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Spacious rooms with plenty of closet space. The heat was broken and it was nice and toasty for me but too hot for the rest of the family. The radiator wouldn't shut off. The windows were old and did not lock so I was a bit afraid for anyone with children who may be accident prone. Overall the hotel was very nice. Older, but a great value and super for families. We had a suite and we will definitely return.

We have stayed all around Manhattan and really love the location of the Salisbury and its old fashioned charm. It is a convenient walk to the subway and Central Park without the touristy feel of Broadway. With the market across the street you get a real feel of how New Yorkers live.

The staff was friendly enough but we didn't require anything special. Overall, great experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I booked this hotel for a last minute trip to NYC through a discounted hotel room website. It was an amazingly cheap rate for a 4.3 rated four star hotel on TripAdvisor. At check-in a very helpful bellhop showed me my room, gave me the history of the hotel (which has been run since the 1930's by the Cavalry Baptist Church which is right next door), pointed out places to eat and explained how breakfast worked. A very pleasant introduction.

There were two full size beds in the room. One had a more plush "feather bed" cover than the other. Each had three pillows. The room was very clean, the decor like my Mom's house: very 1970's. There was a walk in closet anyone would be pleased to have in their own home. Unfortunately, my morning wake up call never came. (Luckily I was already awake.) When I turned on the hair dryer (a wall mount version) the back of it flew off the hairdryer, landing on the floor. A burning smell pervaded the bathroom. So I put the hairdryer down on the sink. It had turned itself off. I called housekeeping to let them know what happened and requested another hairdryer. The hairdryer came back on and the burning smell returned so I unplugged it. After almost 20 minutes with no hairdryer, I called housekeeping again. The woman said she didn't catch my room number and was waiting for me to call back. After a few minutes a very nice gentleman showed up to install a new hairdryer. I asked him if he could just leave it so I could dry my hair and have him come back in ~ 10 minutes as I had to check-out to make a breakfast meeting.

I was disappointed that, apart from the bell hop, there didn't seem to be any customer service at all. That said, there is no way you can stay cheaper on 57th St between 6th and 7th Avenues unless you have a friend that will let you sleep on their couch.

I'd also recommend you bring your own lotion and conditioner. There is no conditioner offered and the lotion didn't really absorb well into the skin.
If you don't have high expectations and just need a clean place to stay, this could be OK. Room 711 is spacious, fairly quiet (located in the back), and very clean.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are away from 57th Street and more quiet. The agent at check in offered me a few o...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Great location, near metro, Carnegie Hall, Times Square and the park. Very clean, huge room for NYC. The staff was exceptional, even recommend several places that had free internet service. Printed our boarding passes. Nice job!! Rooms are very clean, large, great beds and TV. Decor had an old-fashioned attractiveness / charm. Just our style.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back, no view but no noise. The suites ideal.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

After investing a hefty time reading reviews all over, I decided to go with this hotel. Here are a few of my observations:
The hotel is conveniently located next to a subway, and close to central park. Location is fabulous. There are plenty of places to eat around. Check out the deli downstairs nearby. You can't beat the food and it is really cheap. (When you get out of the hotel, turn left and look for the deli – you can’t miss it).
Big room & closet. Restroom/bathtub smelled that old musty smell, and the tub is tiny. When showering, the liner clung onto me. Hot & cold water seem to have a mind of its own. After trying for the umpteenth time to get the correct settings, there was no one setting that would provide a uniform water. It ended up being either too cold, or well, too hot. If anyone in the hotel flushed, the water pressure dropped, and the hot water kicked in.
Now onto some other observations:
1.There was no TV remote, but was promptly sent one, only to find out, the TV only stayed on for 1 minute. However my trip was not to watch TV, but if an amenity is advertised, I want it working. Didn’t request the TV fixed.
2. I don't really get why everyone was talking highly of the front desk. They barely smiled or said hi every time I passed by. But that didn't bother me, I hate fake smiles and hellos anyways.
3. The bed was a little too firm for my liking. I prefer medium, but this bed was way too firm.
4. My biggest complain about this hotel is the fact that you can hear (very clearly) your next door neighbor talking. And I could hear every movement above me and next to me.
Summary: The hotel provided what I wanted. A clean room, plenty of closet space to hang out my clothes, and was able to get anywhere I wanted by purchasing $2.75 subway card. The room was made each day and the trash emptied. For the same money, there are other options, but if you can afford, pay a little more and stay elsewhere. Overall, I rate this 2.5.
I have a few photos I took that I will upload as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Rooms are quite big and spacious. If you like watching TV, make sure it works.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank hokies_k
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Being a budget traveller I am always looking for deals. I'm not the kind of budget traveller that is into backpacking, hostels or hitchhiking, I'm looking for hotels that offer a decent stay that does not necessarily have to be the peak of excellence. A good price, a good location and I can overlook a lot of things like stained carpets, "rude" staff, ugly wallpaper etc.

I booked a trip for 2 to New York, with the arrival night and departure night being booked in Newark where we landed, with 4 nights in Manhattan sandwiched in.

After a bit of research into Manhattan hotel prices in September, I ran across the Salisbury Hotel website. The hotel is in mid town Manhattan. It offered rooms in the range of $200.00 per night, which is less than the typical $300.00 - $600.00 per night range for this area.

The hotel is well located. It is a quick walk to Times Square, Fifth Ave Shopping, Broadway Theaters, and Central Park. The room we booked had 2 doubles and was average size. It did however have a huge walk in closet, and the bathroom was a good size. The hotel is somewhat retro but it adds to the charm. We had a window, but no particular view. We had a great view of other peoples rooms and apartments, but no street view. Not important compared to being in a great location. The A/C was loud. It was too hot to sleep with it off. I use ear plugs so it was no problem for me but I think that my husband was aware of the noise. There was no in room coffeemaker but you can run across the street to Starbucks. Also, there was pay to use wifi, but it was expensive. The New York subway stations have wifi and we found that the subway signals were much better than Starbucks or MacDonalds etc. There is a station at the end of the street a half a block up and we would duck in the there to check our e-mail, FB etc. The hotel will slip you a breakfast coupon that allows you to purchase breakfast for half price in a room set up in the hotel. We used it on our last morning and regretted that we had not used it the previous mornings. It cost $10.00 and was very elegantly set up with good breakfast buffet offerings.
The staff were helpful and friendly.

I would make this my go to New York hotel because of the location and price for the season. It is basic, but it puts you into the action. My other options would have been to stay in Newark and commute to Manhattan (not an awful choice if you are on a budget and want to see New York), or one of the boroughs. If I found a better deal at another well located hotel I would try it, but I will keep this one as my go to unless or until I find something better.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tjohnson_11
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This hotel is very noisy due to the road out front (busy well into the night - this is NYC!), and the dated double glazing and air conditioning unit which lets noise in from the road. We didnt bother with the hassle and wasting time of asking to change rooms, so i cant complain. But if you were going to have nice relaxing early nights or lay-ins then i would recommend asking for a room at the rear of the hotel which might be quieter? Also if you have trouble turning the heating down, then ask for help straight away, because you don't want to have to open the window to cool down - it will be too noisy! I would also imagine if you had young children i would not want to open the window at all because they open from the bottom and it would be very easy to sit on the low sill and fall out the window which made me nervous.
But we didn't visit NYC to spend time in the hotel, so the Salisbury was great for us, dated decor, but clean, big rooms, comfy, great location, handy fridge. Great deli opposite.
Hairdryer was one of those fixed to the wall type ones, hot but not very powerful. I managed, but recommend taking your own dryer if you have space.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple