Salisbury Hotel
Ranked #314 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 February 2014

A block away from Central Park, 10 minutes walk from Times Square, 5 minutes walk from MoMA - it is perfect for a weekend in NYC. Across the street is a food store and Starbucks. Breakfast is very, very good - lots of different choices - eggs, bagels, cereals, fruit (lots), croissants etc. The hotel is old but worth the price, the rooms are big, plenty of space. But the beds are very hard - I would give the hotel a 5 if the bed hadn't been so hard. Lots of noice from the street on a Friday night but use ear-plugs and you sleep well.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Joli6
Write a ReviewReviews (3,977)

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I'm writing this on my last day staying at the Salisbury. We have stayed a wonderful 5 days in the city. I booked this hotel and was a little worried about some of the reviews. The price was great, location was great, and I felt an older hotel would add to the NYC charm. People, I'm going to make this simple. This isn't a luxury hotel. It's not a big chain so don't come here and expect it to be. It's old fashioned but it's very clean and the staff is wonderful. We needed extra towels and toilet paper and within 5 minutes, they were here. The first day, I tried to use the blow dryer and it stopped working. I called down and within a couple minutes, the maintenance man was here with a new dryer. I am in a unit that is on the 57th street side. The street noise is loud, however this is NYC, isn't that to be expected?? One of the main reasons I selected this hotel was because of the kitchenette. It was wonderful. We were able to buy groceries across the street and have snacks, yogurt, milk, cereal among other groceries to save us time and money. It was nice to have that option to not have to go out for a meal. People complain about the wifi and yes, $10 per day per device is a little steep. There is a Starbucks across the street that offers free wifi, but the wifi company had 5 days worth of internet for $30. That didn't seem like a bad deal, so I went for that option. All in all, I will say that I really enjoyed my stay in NYC. I especially enjoyed saving money by staying at the Salisbury. Between their excellent rate and their kitchenette I'm sure I saved a few hundred dollars. My son just got accepted into college here so I'm positive I will be back in the city often. I will definitely come back to this hotel and enjoy my stay.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Tracy B
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at the Salisbury for 3 days. We were in a large suite with a separate bedroom. The hotel is old but that is part of its character and what makes it charming. The furnishings are vintage, basic and functional. The beds were extremely comfortable. The breakfast available on the 3rd floor has enough choice for anyone to fuel up for the day. The location is perfect for walking or grabbing a quick cab to get to almost anywhere in Manhattan. We enjoyed our stay at the Salisbury and look forward to our next visit to NYC.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James G
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Cons: old fashioned, no free wi-fi (anywhere), my one bedroom suite had no diner table (which was inconvenient).
Pros: PERFECTLY LOCATED and clean, basic features for our excellent, 2 weeks, winter stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the space of our hotel room. We (2 adults, 4 children) booked one of the suite rooms with 2 double beds and a separate living room with a pull out couch. The room was on the back side of the hotel and one of the quietest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in which was shocking considering we were in New York city. We had so much space to spread out and the living room could be closed off from the bedroom so that the kids could watch cartoons in the morning while we slept in. The location was fantastic. We saw most things by walking. Very close to Central Park but also an easy stroll right down 5th avenue. We walked to the Empire state building and Times Square from the hotel. Another nice feature of the hotel was that luggage could be stored for free before or after checkout so that you could still enjoy the city for the day and not worry about dragging the luggage around. A taxi from the hotel to Grand central was only 7 bucks which made getting there stress free. Yes, the room was outdated but was very clean, quiet and spacious. Anyway..... who cares about modern furnishings in a hotel room when you are in NYC!!!!! Will definitely stay here again, so glad we found it!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing 57th street if you are looking for a quieter room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sassanach_12
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the location - it's also very clean - if a little tired could do with a makeover - the beds are very comfortable and clean the rooms are large and well equipped with free use of a safe and coffee making facilities - for the money this hotel is a bargain would certainly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor it's a bit quieter
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lisakaren91
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My parents flew into New York City during the Thanksgiving holiday. We waited a little longer than we should to book a hotel, but thankfully found a room here. We were very pleased with our stay.
All we wanted was a clean place to sleep and some place that was close to where I worked and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The price was reasonable, and that was our biggest concern during a time when prices are known to skyrocket. I knew that we would be out of the hotel the majority of time, so this worked out perfectly for us. Great location, good subway access. We were happy. If you're looking for a similar New York experience and would rather put your money towards restaurants, shows, tourism etc, it's not a bad place to be.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family