“Great Location”

Ranked #288 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Great Location”
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I really liked this hotel. The location is great, near Central Park, walking distance from Times Square and two subway station very close. The service was great, ready to help you always. They even know who we are. At first, I requested a king bed room, I have a 14 months old daughter and she likes in the middle of the night go to our bed. When I checked in, I ask if the room had the kitchenette they say they have in some rooms. To my surprise, all king bed rooms don't have it. The hotel was full but they offered to change my room the next morning. When they changed us the room was bigger and more convenient to our needs. The king bed was hard as rock but the double bed was more comfortable.

The breakfast is a little expensive for what it is, but don't pay for it, on the same sidewalk you will find a good place to eat and is not expensive. Speaking of places to eat the hotel has a great Italian restaurant very close, like four doors apart. The pizza is great there. Almost in front of the hotel there is another hotel, very fancy, but they have the best hamburger in New York, as voted for I don't know whom. The place is almost hidden by some curtains and it doesn't fit the hotel but, try the burgers.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I'm always so proud of myself when I read up on a hotel and it turns out to be awesome. This was an easy choice considering all the awesome reviews it gets on here but I was very very pleased with this hotel.

I went on my first NYC trip with my two brothers a couple of weeks ago just to sight-see and catch a New York Red Bulls game. The location of this hotel is really great and the rooms were very roomy and comfortable. Right near the subway, right beside Central Park, close enough to cool places without being somewhere that's really noisy and crowded - and the price is awesome.

If I ever go back to NYC, I'll probably be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Warwickshire, England
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My wife and two teenage daughters stayed at the Salisbury for 6 nights in July 2010..we had 5 nights here, then moved to Boston for 4 nights, and returned to the Salisbury for our last night before flying home to the UK the next day.

Although an old building, the Salisbury's rooms have been pleasantly updated with high quality traditional bedding and furnishings and huge amounts of space. We had suites both times (the standard type room at this hotel) and our daughters had their own self contained area as did we - we only had to share the bathroom. The airconditioning was a Godsend in temperatures of 90 to 95 degrees, and we had our own mini kitchen area with sink, fridge and microwave.

The staff were professional, courteous and helpful. We had the $6 breakfast on 2 mornings, our only adverse comment would be that the breakfast was too weighted toward sugary, doughy foods such as doughnuts, pastries, and cookies, with little fruit and no hot cooked options such as scrambled eggs and bacon. The food that was offered was, however, fresh and of good quality of its' type.

One of the best features of the Salisbury over and above its' rooms is the location. Between 5th and 6th Avenues on West 57th St, many of the landmark buildings such as Times Square, The Empire State and Central Park are a short or comfortable walk away.

All in all we heartily recommend this hotel, its' staff and its' location, and we will stay again if we go back to NYC.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year. The first time was because I couldn’t get in at my usual hotel so I thought I would give the Salisbury a try as the rooms were described as being bigger than usual NYC hotel rooms. I was not disappointed as I was given a large suite at no additional charge. It was at the back of the hotel and very quiet. A huge lounge with three piece suit, desk, 40” TV and still plenty of room! Prior to my second stay I e-mailed ahead to ask for a quiet room at the back. When I arrived I was told that I had been allocated a room at the back. Unfortunatley it was not another suite but I really didn’t expect that. It was, however, very large and had two double beds. The problem was that it was next to the elevator which made loud clanking noises as it moved up an down. I immediately went to reception and asked for another room which was quieter and was given one without hesitation. It was at the back of the hotel, away from the elevator and very quiet.

On both occasions the rooms were very clean but in need of some fresh paint on the woodwork. They each had a kitchenette with fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The beds were comfortable and the bed linen was crisp and clean. The room safes worked with a key rather than by setting a code. Not really a problem but it meant carrying the key with me each day.

I took the buffet breakfast in the dining room each morning. It was ok but nothing special and comprised cereal, toast, doughnuts and muffins. A bit more variety would have been useful but it was a cheap and easy way to start the day. I managed to get a table easily by being down early but a queue developed later on.

The hotel is in a great location two blocks from Central Park between 6th and 7th Avenues. 57th St is very busy with two way traffic so is noisy in the front rooms. There are subway stations at both ends of the block and the hotel is very convenient for public transport. I transferred from JFK by Airtrain and subway at a cost of $7.25 and was at the hotel in no time at all. There are plenty of restaurants in the locality and a few decent bars. I particularly liked P J Carneys on 7th Avenue. Quite small but very pleasant.

I found Wi Fi Internet access a problem. Firstly it was quite expensive and secondly I couldn’t connect anyway! Luckily there is a Starbucks over the road and a McDonalds at 56th and 8th so I was able to get online at those for free!

Overall it is a good hotel and one I would certainly go back to. The rooms are, indeed, large and thick walls ensure no noise from neighbours. The staff I had contact with were all very helpful and friendly. No complaints at all.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank ST1951
Wirral
Reviewed 15 July 2010

First of all, the room was absolutely massive. It had a kitchen, dining area, study desk, sofa and 40" tv in one room, leading through into a really decent sized bedroom with two double beds. Each room had separate, albeit somewhat noisy, air con. The street noise was noticeable but nothing that stopped us from having a good night's sleep. The room was spotless and was cleaned everyday.

The location of the hotel is great for the main sites - about 15min walk to Times Sq and a stones throw from central park and Trump Tower on 5th Avenue. We walked to the Empire State and Macy's aswell. Tube station at the end of the street so real easy to get to downtown Manhatten.

A lot of shops, cafes and eateries near by - we didn't struggle for food!

Overall a great break

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank das_beb
vanocuver
Reviewed 14 July 2010

The Salisbury offered what we were looking for in a hotel in NY. Great location and very large rooms. We had a one bedroom suite and it was more that enough room. Lots of great restaurants and cafes near by, and within walking distance was 5th ave, Times Square, Central Park and subway stations. We were travelling with a very large group of over 40 people and I think everyone was happy with the hotel. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010
Melbourne
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We are a family of 4 which includes daughters 21 and 17. We were looking for a hotel which was located near the theatre district, reasonably priced and rooms large enough to give everyone some personal space.
Our requirements were met by the Salisbury, it was located near Central Park, 5th Avenue and a really easy walk to Times Square. The suite was very large and included a bedroom with 2 beds, lounge, sitting area with a sofa bed. We could leave the sofa bed set up for the entire time and still have plenty of sitting area in the room. There were also 2 large wardrobes and 2 chests of drawers so we could unpack all our clothes and not live out of suitcases for the week.
Best of all we booked the room at an excellent rate through Expedia.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family