“Great location, price & staff, but small room”

The Frederick Hotel
Ranked #243 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I needed a hotel room for a business meeting at Federal Plaza/Downtown Manhattan. This was the only hotel within walking distance that was not well over $200 a night. I had a standard double. This looks like a converted old NYC office building. The lobby is small but nice and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The hallway to my room looked a bit worn and the door had an "old fashioned" key lock, not the card readers. I was escorted to my room by a bellhop who was very personable. When entering my room I asked where I could get some ice, and he said he would have to get it for me, which he did very promptly.

Now to the room. I think I had a college dorm room bigger than this, in fact I know I did. It was about the size of an office. Just big enough for a full size bed, night table and thin desk to fit on one wall. No closet, just a bar with hangers. Clock/ipod dock on nightstand. The bathroom was equally small but not claustrophobic. It had all the standard soap etc.. amenities and a hairdryer. Great water pressure as well. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and well appointed. The flat screen TV was attached to the corner angled towards the bed. The A/C window unit was very loud and when running I could not hear the TV, but kept the temp nice. A ceiling fan allowed me to watch TV without the A/C on for a while and still be comfortable.

Location is excellent. Easy walk to the Financial district, Trinity Church, Town Hall, Fed Paza, and all the downtown sights. Restaurants, bars, etc.. all over the place. The hotel itself has a nice little cafe/wine bar/creperie and a Starbucks is there also. The Amish Market is a block down where you can buy pretty much everything from groceries to freshly prepared meals.

I did not have a problem with hallway or room noise. In this regard the A/C "white noise" kept my room in a cocoon.

I would recommend this hotel for a single or double if you need to stay in this area of Manhattan which is otherwise ridiculously expensive. Would you get more for your money in a hotel room at this price outside of NYC - absolutely. But in Manhattan this place is a bargain and well worth it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear VATraveller17,
Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback. Please note that we do have a variety of room layouts, and we hope you will return soon and try our various room categories. Please stay in touch with us through social media and by subscribing to our website so you can receive our exclusive offers. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

As NYC I overall an expensive city to stay in I chose this hotel mainly as it was a reasonable room rate. I traveled with my parents and we agreed to stay in the same room so that we could keep the cost down. A double twin room was small but managed to fit two good sized, and very comfortable beds in it. The bathroom was 'old manhattan' fully tiled with white and brown decor. Bath and shower provided in one.
We requested a quiet room and this lacked any view other than a brick wall of another building...but was indeed quiet. The aircon system is a window unit but we found it to be very effective if a little noisey. Not that it was needed as the room had a ceiling fan that was the perfect amount of air and cool for us.
Basic facilities within the room and NO TEA AND COFFEE...just in case this is important to you.
The staff were very helpful and a friendly bunch.
The location is very good as it is only 4 blocks from the 9/11 memorial and is right on a major subway station of Chambers Street. Also as it is in a more 'working' area it is very much 9-5 and therefore more quiet. Its worth remembering this for food as late night options are limited.
3 blocks in the direction of the world trade centre memorial (on the corner of W.Broadway and Park Street) there is an Amish Market...this is very popular with the NY workers and you will find a massive array of options for breakfast and lunch.
Overall it was ideal for us and perfect for the 5 days we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear helinoz,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you found our rooms to be comfortable, the location convenient to what you wanted to see and do, and our staff to be helpful and friendly. We also appreciate you pointing out the Amish Market which is just one block away. Please note we have the Cosmopolitan Cafe and Starbucks on premises which provide great coffee, tea and all meals. Please stay in touch with us through social media and by subscribing to our website. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

be aware that the pictures on the hotel's website are VERY deceptive...
the rooms are very small and the bathrooms even smaller... only one person may stand (if that)
Our room had no closet (just a bar to hang clothes on), no mini bar or fridge and just few cheapo toiletries
Most importantly : location is good, with easy subway access, BUT the street outside is unfortunately torn up for construction and resembles a war zone. Better bring earplugs !
On the positive side now : we had really great breakfasts at the cute cafe downstairs (delicious pancake special and eggs, great coffee and croissants), also the free NYTimes in the lobby was nice, but that was about it...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kiki_à_nîmes
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear kiki_à _nîmes,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed having the New York Times available each day in our lobby, and that our location was convenient. Please note that we have a variety of room types and sizes. We hope that you will return in the future and will try a different room layout. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed at this property for a short vacation. Overall, it is a good property. It is somewhat expensive, but the rates are comparable to other hotels in Manhattan. The room was very clean, and the bed slept quite comfortably. No bedbugs or other critters (we checked extensively). Our only complaints were a lack of ice and/or water machines (we spent a small mint on bottled water from nearby stores), and the noise from nearby construction. The staff was kind enough to fill our bottles from their sink once though they do not normally offer this service. I would stay at this property again and recommend it to others.

Pros: Central Downtown location in Tribeca.
Subway station in front of hotel.
Great restaurants and shopping a few steps from the property.
Very friendly staff.

Cons: A bit pricey.
No fitness center (but multiple gyms are nearby).
No ice or vending machines.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear lggrrl,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important. Our staff is able to deliver ice to our guests, and we will make sure everyone is aware of this. We hope you will return so that you can see the upgrades that are planned. Please subscribe to our website and follow us on social media so we can keep you posted on what is in store and so you can receive our exclusive rate offers.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times. It was ok till this trip. All I can say now is WOW,WOW,WOW. There has been a change in management and boy does it show. From the moment you walk in the door till you leave, the staff can't do enough for you. From the font desk to the cleaning staff, they are courteous,friendly and always asking if there is anything they can do for you. My room was spotless every day. I recently stayed at a Hilton Garden Hotel and they can't hold a candle to the Cosomopolitan. The management should be very proud of their staff. they are doing an exceptional job. The only thing this Hotel needs is a few more TV channels. I love this Hotel. I stay here every time I come to NYC and that will not change.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Dear Denise S,
Thank you for your great review, we appreciate it very much. The staff is making every effort to insure that our guests are well taken care of, and we are glad to see that this enhanced your experience. Please note that we will be upgrading our TV service in the next few months. Please stay in touch with us through social media and by suibscribing to our website. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here with my husband for 4 nights and were really happy with our choice!

Rooms are kind of small, but of course this is New York, so don't expect anything else! Our room was very clean and had a comfortable bed, which is really important. Also we had absolutely no problems with street noise.

Friendly staff who were happy to help us and answer our questions.

LOCATION! Loved the location!! Starbucks right next door and a subway station right outside the hotel. This hotel is close to everything! Walking distance to ground zero and only 2-3 stops with the subway to get to Times Square.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Dear Vikiii,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful, and that you found our location to be convenient to everything that you wanted to do and see. Please stay in touch with us by subscribing to our website and by following the hotel on social media so we can keep you informed about our special rates and exclsive offers. We hope that you will return in the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

I stayed at the Cosmopolitan Tribeca last week. While there I noticed a bite on my chin on the second day and was surprised but didn't know what it was. I stayed in the hotel 3days and 2 nights. After I returned home, I developed five bites on one leg and 10 on the other as well as 3 bites on one shoulder. I've since learned that they are from bed bugs. The swelling and redness doesn't show up for about a week after being bit. Since I'd never had bed bug bites before, I wasn't sure what was going on. Bedbug bites show up in rows of three - called breakfast, lunch and dinner. They're red, raised and hard, harder than mosquito bites and don't have the white look that mosquito bites do. My room was on the 7th floor. Please be careful if you're staying there. There's also a lot of construction work going on that you won't find out about until you arrive.

Room Tip: I've stayed in quite a few NY hotels and booked this one because it was close to a workshop cour...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank DCT_12
GMCosmoTri, General Manager at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

We are surprised by your review as we were unaware of your experience until we read your post. We take pest control very seriously and have various ongoing preventative measures and procedures in place. In order for us to complete a full investigation we tried to reach you without success and had to rely on the photo you posted to locate the room you stayed in. We are happy to report that the room was checked and cleared by our pest control company (a copy of which we will happily provide). We believe we have shown due diligence in investigating this claim and as a result we have requested for your review to be removed as it is unfounded. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,