“A New York state of mind...”

The Frederick Hotel
Ranked #244 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 29 September 2013

A well appointed, stylish hotel that punches above its three star rating in my opinion. My room was not cheap, but hey, this is New York. Fantastic location - you can get just about anywhere by the subway or walking. My room was very comfortable, but rather compact. My only real complaint was the room size, in particular the room's width - as a long distance traveller from the other side of the world, I had a rather large suitcase that was difficult to find space to open up fully in my room.

I must give a special commendation to the front desk staff, who were not only professional, sophisticated and courteous, but were genuinely interested in having a brief chat about my experiences of their city. I especially commend whoever trains these staff, as it would be easy to employ well manicured, disinterested robots, for whom their work was just a job.

Finally, I would say that this hotel is an ideal location to get in the "New York state of mind" that Billy Joel once sang a song about. I found NY a much friendlier and easier place to get around than I had imagined. I would definitely consider using this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Westralia
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Westralia,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, and that you appreciated the excellent service our staff provided. Please note that we do have a variety of layouts and room sizes, and we hope that you will be back in future to stay in a different room category. Please follow us on social media and by subscribing to our website so we can keep you informed of our upcoming offers and packages.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Selected this hotel for a quick business trip, they room faced the street and was really noisy. No iron in the room, bathroom I super small and does not have central air conditioning. Really old rooms that looks like a motel not hotel

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Armando B
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Armando B,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. Please note that we have a variety of room types and layouts as well as quiet rooms which face the back of the hotel. In addition, we will also be doing a full upgrade to the hotel starting at the beginning of next year that will include a central air system. We hope you will return, please contact me directly so I can make the reservation for you.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel week of 8th Sep 2013 and I was staying on 1st floor the windows do not isolate from any noise and air co is very loud
I couldn t sleep properly ( despite the jet lag from UK) there was a sport pub just in front of my room and I could follow the base ball game live through the screans and at 3 30 am I got waken up by the dustbin van !!! terrible experience for a very expensive hotels
my colleagues were on higher floors and didnt have any noise issue so this may explain but I would NEVER go back !!! tiny rooms and no sound proof from the street nor from the corridors!!! very old and long elevator... Room for improvement !!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ophelia07
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear ophelia07,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. Please note that we have various room layouts as well as rooms that are located at the back of the hotel. These rooms are very quiet, and we hope you will return to give one of them a try. Please contact me directly so I can personally make the reservation for you. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights, and from a location point of view it was great. Just a short walk down to the World Trade Center and Staten Island Ferry/ Battery park.

There are also lots of diners/cafes/Starbucks and the Chambers subway right outside the door.

The rooms were clean although small, but space didn't seem to be an issue for us anyway.

The staff were really friendly and helpful with bags etc, and the wifi was reasonably fast for email browsing and instagramming (dunno about streaming though!)

The only drawback was the noise from the roadworks going on outside, these started very early (6am) which was a bit of a pain especially if you are getting over jet lag!

Other tips:
It's also close to the Greenway which is a walkway along the water around Manhattan- this is great if you like to go running.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank COCONNO
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Dear COCONNO,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that your room was clean and comfortable, our staff was friendly and helpful, and that you found the location to be convenient. Thank you also for pointing out how close the hotel is to the Greenway, which is a beautiful path by the Hudson River. Please stay in touch with us, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The rooms are small and not cheap, but up-to-NYC-standards. It is very clean, which is one of the most important things when visiting abroad. The location is excellent for downtown Manhattan, very quiet compared to uptown Manhattan, however, this mean that you will require the subway for all activities uptown. All in all a good base for an active city trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steenlandt
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Steenlandt,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that your room was comfortable, quiet and very clean, and that our downtown location was enjoyable and convenient for you. We hope to see you again in the near future, please stay in touch through our website and social media so we can keep you updated on our offers and promotions.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I love the area, I lived in NYC for a year and always preferred downtown to midtown. The hotel is cheap and very clean, yes, rooms are not big and fancy...but do you really want to spend most of your day in a hotel room while in NY?? or do you use it just to sleep? The elevator is slow, but come on! it's only 5 stories! I The only thing I didn't like was the mexican kid at the front desk: not friendly and not helpful!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarafina80
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Sarafina80,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. Please note that in the year since you last stayed with us, there have been many upgrades to the hotel. In addtion, we will be completely renovating the hotel and adding an additional elevator next year. Please follow the hotel through social media and by subscribing to our website so we can keep you informed of the upcoming changes.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

This hotel is perfect if you are in New York to be out and about and need a hotel for sleeping and showering. The location is good and there is a Subway station right next to the hotel which is a great, cheap way to get around. The staff were all very nice and helpful and gave us tips for Subway travel and printed passes for us to see the World Trade Center site. We asked for a minor maintenance problem to be corrected and it was done that day. A friend and I were traveling together and stayed in a two Queen size beds room. The beds were fine and the room was very clean and the bathroom, albeit it small, looked newly renovated. The room had both a window unit and a ceiling fan so the temperature was comfortable for us. There is construction on the street below, but the whole town is noisy. The room comes with a flat screen TV and free WiFi, along with two computers and a printer in the lobby for free use. There is a sports bar directly across the street (Mudville 9) where we watched Monday Night Football and then walked home. There are plenty of restaurants and little deli shops close by to get food. If you don't want a luxury experience and just need a good, clean room this place will work for you. And the price was much lower than other hotels we researched online.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street to limit the construction noise.