“Amazing location at an unbeatable price”

Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca
Ranked #235 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC
“Amazing location at an unbeatable price”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

After giving up on a search for vacation rentals in NYC, I luckily happened to find Cosmopolitan Hotel. Rates are unbelievable given the great location in TriBeCa, amenities and the outstanding customer service. The subway entrance is right in front of the building and the Starbucks on the ground floor can kick start your day before exploring the city. What surprised me the most was that the staff allowed us to choose our double room since we were a bit concerned over the potential lack of space. If you are a group or family of 3-4 people, I recommend room 521. The room had lots of windows with great views. All in all, the boutique hotel was a pleasant surprise and I will look no further next time I'm in NYC.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hedra68
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Hedra68,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, our location, as well as the convenience of having both Starbucks and the express subway right here. We are also very pleased to hear that our staff was so accommodating, we pride ourselves on the level of service that we can provide for our guests. Please stay in touch with us through social media and our website so we can keep you informed of our upcoming special offers.

Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel is easy to miss. No grand entranceway to draw you from the street. It's as if it is a secret and that works for me.
The rooms are modern, clean and on the smaller side. But who cares about size when you only intend to sleep there? The location is ideal in Lower Manhattan with the subway outside the door and Wall Street a few blocks away.
The front desk staff were friendly and helpful and the price very reasonable.
The surprise was that there is no refreshment spot in the hotel. Perhaps that will be added in the renovations under way. However, there is a Starbucks adjoining and good breakfast spots in easy walking distance.
I hope the renovations don't change the hotel's character or the entranceway. Its low-key nature goes against New York's cockiness and that's fine for me when I'm trying to rest.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Beachescanuck
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Beachescanuck,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful, our ambience quite pleasant and that you found our location to be very convenient. Please note that the popular Chelsea dining establishment Cafeteria will be opening here as part of our planned upgrades. We hope you will return in the future, please stay in contact with us through our website and social media.

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I got the bad luck to be infected on a business trip by the Type A influenza virus, and this hotel made my stay a nightmare. Over the night the fever increased and I lost my voice, at 7.30 am I asked the hotel reception to please help me to contact the doctor of my insurance. I would write notes on paper to ask them to call for me and giving them my data (I was very obviously very sick). For whatever reason the man from the reception kept referring to the hotel manager and kept telling me to call myself to the doctor, something that I obviously was unable as if not I would not have asked for help. I ended up with sky rocket fever and crying in the hall asking my neighbour guests for help by giving them my insurance card and phone device and pointing them to the card, phone and number for them to call. They started to ask me yes and no questions which I started to answer with my head. And hey surprise! they actually managed to get the doctor to come, and not only that they took care of me bringing me water, tea and bread during the days I was sick.
What kind of hotel is this? they prefer having other guests to be human and help others in need than ensuring all their guests are as fine as they can be?

I think the tricky part was the question of, will you pay 600 dollars for the doctor to come? and do you have a credit card to do so? I guess (speculation) the hotel did not want any ownership or responsibility and instead of asking they just left me in pain for hours and hours. I could have died there and they would not have felt any human responsibility as I should have followed the process of calling myself. Of course when my room neighbours asked me if i was willing to pay I said yes with my head (as i could not talk).

During the following days I got no service what so ever nor even a glimpse of proactive caring on any basic human needs as breakfast, lunch or dinner, water or changing sheets. Nor even an apology for the bad service. There was a Startbucks cafe under the hotel, if they would have just brought me camille tea and bagel for breakfast, lunch and dinner I would have been a grateful guest. When you have a lot of fever you don´t need that much.
I was lucky with my room neighbour that she was a trained nurse, if not I don´t know what could have happened.

I would encourage everyone not to support hotels that do not train employees to deal with out of the ordinary situations as human beings. Nor supporting hotels that have hotel managers that prefer to endorse the problem to other guests before trying to be part of the solution.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side of the street are very noisy during day and during the night.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank sylorente
GMCosmoTri, General Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Sylorente,

I am very sorry that you feel you were not assisted by the hotel staff during your stay. Our guests’ wellbeing and safety are of the utmost importance. Our staff is trained to contact an ambulance or our house doctor during any medical emergencies, both of which were refused when you initially contacted our Front Desk. As per your instructions, our staff did attempt to contact your insurance company overseas, however due to privacy concerns no information was issued to us in order to further assist you with locating a doctor of your/their choosing. After consulting with your employer, the hotel did arrange for our house doctor to visit you and he assured us afterword that your condition is not serious. Our Director of Service stopped by your room every day to check on you, however she was turned away every time she attempted to enter the room.

Once again I am truly sorry you feel you did not receive adequate assistance or care as our staff is personable and does go above and beyond to accommodate our guests’ needs. Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter further.

Best regards,
Sava Vasiljevic
Springfield, VA
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I have stayed here several times, most recently two weeks ago for a weekend. This hotel is consistently clean. Rooms are kept spotlessly clean, dishes are not left in the hallways, lobby is clean. rooms can be small, esp. if You get the one double bed room. Even the one queen bed rooms can be small. But my goodness, where else can I get a safe and very clean renovated room for $105 a night (through their website). That rate is lower than the govt. per diem for the hotel.

I am sorry that the little convenience store next door has closed (now a Starbucks there). On this trip I had dinner at the Belgian restaurant a block up on W. Broadway, Petite Abeille. Very good choice, esp. for their 5-6:30 ppm prix fixe with app, any entrée, and any dessert.

Front desk staff area always friendly with me and know my name when I approach the desk after checking in. Bellman is right there when you need him, and friendly.

On this stay I did have some trouble with the water not heating up enough for a long hot shower, so next time I will test the shower when I check into the room. I ask for a quiet room and get one facing another bldg. and not facing Chambers or W. Broadway- it was very quiet.

I have stayed in so many budget and higher end hotels in NYC. When on my own dime, this one can not be beat.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear eileend10,
Thank you for taking the time as one of our repeat guests to post on Trip Advisor in regard to your most recent stay. We are happy to hear that your room was spotlessly clean and quiet, and that our Front Office staff was friendly and helpful. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed dining in one of the many excellent neighborhood restaurants. We look forward to your return, please subscribe to our website and follow us on social media so we can let you know about our upcoming special offers.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I am a frequent visitor to NYC but this was my first time in NYC without a car. Cosmopolitan Hotel was located so conveniently close to all amenities and many sites of tourist attraction that I did not even feel I needed a car.

My friend and I were dropped off close to midnight and the front desk was open and ready to serve. We were checked in to a loft with one double bed, which also had a pull-out sofa. The bellman brought extra bedding and set up the pull-out sofa for my friend.

The rooms were clean and equipped as described. The room was not smaller or larger than one in any other hotel in this price range. It was large enough for two adults to survive without being in each-other's way. The washrooms, on the other hand, must have been the smallest washroom I had ever seen anywhere.

I must also mention that the upper level offered very little headroom (which is disclosed on their website), and sitting up on the bed without touching the ceiling was impossible. Taking stairs to the upper level of the room required some body flexibility too.

None of the above was a big issue to us.

Staff was very courteous, the room and common areas were clean and well-maintained, and the property was noise insulated. And I mean quiet: no street noise, no noise from other rooms, no loud heater fan.

The staff offered to securely store our luggage upon check out, so that we could spend a few extra hours in Manhattan before our departure.

All in all, as long as the price is the same, I can't think of any reason not to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The loft may not be suitable for people who require extra space (height or width) to feel comfortabl...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tom S
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Tom S,
Thank you very much for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that our staff was courteous, the property well maintained, and that your loft was comfortable and quiet. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed staying in Tribeca. Please follow us on social media and subscribe to our website so we can keep you informed about our upcoming special offers.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My colleagues and I just stayed at Cosmopolitan Hotel in Tribeca, and it was great. Excellent value and convenient location right near the Chambers St subway stop. Great neighborhood for top NY dining.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank WineAustraliaUSA
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear WineAustraliaUSA,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you and your colleagues enjoyed the nearby restaurants of Tribeca and the convenience of our location. We hope you will be back in the future, please follow us on social media and stay in touch with us by subscribing to our website so we can keep you informed about our upcoming special rates and packages.

Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This is just the best location. Steps away from two major subway lines, quick walk to Chinatown, Little Italy, the Village and the World Trade Center. I'm a New Yorker by birth but I was showing my Irish boyfriend around for the first time and I couldn't bring myself to stay in Times Square and I'm so glad I picked here. We got a nice little loft room and were able to have a more authentic New York experience but still hit all the tourist spots easily.

My few small complaints:
The bed. It felt like the mattress was stuffed with granite. I don't know if it was a personal preference against hard mattresses but this was easily my least favorite bed in a hotel ever.

Elevator. There's only one and it can be a hot commodity at times. We were on the 2nd floor so it was no biggie to hop down 1 flight of stairs but I'd have been annoyed if we were up top and had to wait that long every time.

I would still recommend this hotel to anyone else- it's well priced, nicely set up and again such a good location!

Room Tip: I think the loft room was cool and would choose it again, but be careful if you're taller becaus...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear laurlala,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you greatly enjoyed our location, and that the loft proved to be a good choice for your accommodations. We look forward to your return, please stay in touch with us by subscribing to our website and by following us on social media.