“Great Price & Nice Stay , We'll be Back!!”

The Frederick Hotel
Ranked #245 of 469 Hotels in New York City
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 28 February 2005

Having never traveled to New York, I didn't know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised by our choice.
I read reviews here on Trip advisor and was happy with other reviews.
We are in our early 30's and this was a good spot to get around to Bars in SOHO, and dinner Spots.
The room was nice and clean, we had a Loft Room 211. I would advise to not wear socks on the stairs to your bed, as they are a little steep.
My husband is 6'-4" and was fine with the lowered ceiling--you are laying down up there anyway-it had a TV above as well as downstairs.
Blow dryers in the bathroom, do not have heater/air on with TV's and try to blow dry--power will go out in the room! But they were there in no time to switch it back on for us!
Our room Faced Chamber Street...
Nice to have the Starbucks below, 24 Hour Markert across the street, a Pharmacy, Ribs, Italian and the Subway right outside the Hotel.
3 blocks from the WTC & Century 21 shopping, 10 minute walk to Canal for Bargain Shopping!
We will say here again for sure, as it was a GREAT location and FANTASTIC rates!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 21 February 2005

My room was clean. But the hotel hallways smelled awful and made me feel sick to my stomach. The hotel has NO AMENITIES what so ever. I needed to go to a corner convenience store at 5 am because the hotel doesn't have a vending machine of any kind. I don't really think the neighborhood was that great either. There didn't seem to be a lot of bars nearby to visit. I went to other neighborhoods to go out.
I would not stay there again.

3  Thank andiec2001
A TripAdvisor Member
Nottingham,UK
Reviewed 19 February 2005

Stayed at the cosmo in June 2004;an off the cuff decision due to budget restraints but what a revelation. Friendly staff, great location next to subways, and away from the touristy midtown, this is imo, the real NYC.
Rooms are clean and modern and comfortable. The ret of NYC is so easy to reach from the doorstep of the hotel its amazing.
The Reade St pub is fabulous(great Cosmopolitans served), down the Road we found the Gee Whizz diner( recommended by hotel staff), a wonderful place to eat at v reasonable prices, and Battery Park is great for a late night drink overlooking the Hudson if you take a few glasses and a bottle.
9/10.
Can't wait til I visit again in April

• Stayed: June 2004
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 February 2005

My husband and I reviewed this hotel on Trip Advisor before we booked and left. We called the day beofre to make sure our reservation was set. We traveled by Train and then the 1/9 subway to this hotel. It iwas very easy to get too. There are 3 different subway stops with in 4 blocks of this hotel. We explored many restraunts in a one block radius also. All were very good and had a wide variety of food/price to choose from. The hotel is very clean, and small rooms. But it is NYC. We had a room facing the alley, but we were not in the room much except to sleep. The window did have a heavy drape to keep the sunlight out. Very nice since we stayed out late and slept in late. People at the desk don't have customer service skills, but for the price/location/cleanliness you can not go wrong with a stay here.

5  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed 8 February 2005

I made a request via the web page for a flyer, brochure on the hotel, as they have that option available.
I was just about to make a 7 day booking, but not now.
A day later I received a rude email stating "we cannot do anything without a credit card.
I wish I had taken note of the other negative comments about the staff.
A shame really, as it sounded like a good hotel and I am sure this is not the first time it happened.
With customer service like this, I will be looking elsewhere.

9  Thank CraigLloydP
Reviewed 5 February 2005

I stayed in the Cosmopolitan Hotel with my boyfriend in January. We were a little concerned before we got there given the low cost of this hotel. We found that it was clean and comfortable and in a great location.

The staff were friendly and helpful whenever we saw them and there was always someone on the front desk. The hotel felt perfectly secure and is situated right next the the subway which we used all the time. While the rooms are small we felt we had enough storage space and we had been prepared for this by reading reviews. We took a mini loft room which provided us with more space. I would definately reccommend booking one of these rooms to anyone with no mobility problems - the stairs are very steep and while you can sit up in the bed you do have to duck to walk around that close to the ceiling.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in New York and would definately stay in the Cosmopolitan again.

3  Thank ami12
Reviewed 27 January 2005

The first visit to New York for myself & my husband.
We arrived in the middle of a blizzard. From JFK, we took the airtrain & 'A' train subway to the hotel, which was just 2 minutes walk from the subway station. Very easy, convenient & cheap! (7 dollars each) & took about 1 hour in total.
Can fully agree with previous visitors' comments.
Hotel was very, very clean. We had a standard double room which was absolutely adequate by European standards. Double king/queen sized bed, large desk & drawers, 2 chairs, hangers & rack, tv & small but very clean & new bathroom.
Plenty of clean towels/soaps.
There is a good food market across the road where you can buy hot sandwiches or from the deli buffet & a Starbucks in the same building.
The subway is on the doorstep.
My only critiscism is that our room faced an alley, so we had no view, but after sight seeing in NYC in the snow, we were too tired for this to matter.
Room was very warm inspite of outside temps of -10C.
We had a fantastic holiday & will definitely stay here again.

3  Thank boris10