“Our worst hotel stay ever”

Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca
Ranked #239 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Our worst hotel stay ever”
Reviewed 22 June 2005

Room was extremely tiny - even by NYC standards. Not enough space to even walk straight around the bed, let alone store any luggage. Staff couldn't have been more rude. Will never even consider staying here again.

4 Thank Nuni72

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Slovak first
UK
Reviewed 21 June 2005

Excellent value for money.
My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights. Rooms have air conditioning and are decorated to a good standard. The bathrooms are excellent. One of the cleanest hotels we've stayed in.
Great location. Easy access to the subway. Felt very safe.
The staff on reception could do with being a little more friendly! But I think a lot of the people we came across in customer service positions in the city were kind of abrupt and not as helpful as they could be perhaps be! What I think people forget is a smile doesn't hurt and it goes an awful long way!

5 Thank Tibbs0675
Reviewed 20 June 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Cosmopolitan Hotel June 13th through the 18th, 2005. This was our first trip to NYC and this hotel couldn't have been more perfect. We picked the Cosmopolitan because we wanted a hotel that was inexpensive and far from the tourist-oriented Times Square area. The Tribeca location was incredibly convenient. The subway was literally ten feet out the door and got us to everywhere we needed to go. Also, one of the best assets of this hotel is the starbucks and the amazing juice/smoothie bar next door as well as a wonderful french pastry cafe down the street. After reading reviews about the service being "no frills", we weren't expecting much, but the hotel staff was excellent! I called to inquire about an ice machine and two minutes later it was brought to our door! Also, the hotel staff fixed our bathroom and air conditioning within minutes. This was one of the cleanest hotels I have ever been in. The rooms were small, but it was okay-we never spent much time inside our room! The only downfall would be the noisy air conditioning unit that could keep one awake at night. I would highly recommend this hotel to students, families, and anybody looking for a quiet, personal hotel that really gives you the experience of living like a New Yorker!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Madison, WI
Reviewed 16 June 2005

For the price, this was a great hotel. We had a mini - loft room and the rate was very cheap. Upon arrival our air conditioning wasn't working (and it was about 100 degrees) - but once we alerted the front desk, it had been fixed upon our return. Our room was good size and had a double bed (in the loft) and a pull out single bed - lots of storage as well. Very close to subways and great shopping. Service wasn't anything to write home about - front desk staff wasn't friendly and didn't even seem to notice you. Cleaning staff however, was very helpful and friendly. They do an excellent job - the rooms were spotless. Would stay there again - price, location, large room size and cleanlieness made this place well worth it. I would also highly recomend the Ula day spa - just a few blocks away - manicure and pedicure for less than $50.

3 Thank beadgirl32
Reviewed 16 June 2005

I should have written this a long time ago, but I will just quickly write now. We stayed here for 2 nights. 3 weeks before 911. We thought the hotel was lovely. Our room was small but extremely quiet and comfortable queensize bed. We slept very well. Beautiful wardrobe and ample room for luggage and hanging goods as well. NO insects of any kind. Bathroom very clean and the towels were folded decoratively, like a fancier hotel. It had a crisp, black and white deco theme that gave a modern touch to this older remodeled building. Had a phone in the room if I remember right. Courteous personnel. Nice elevators and Lobbies fashioned after the more expensive places. Entrance on both west Broadway and the intersecting street.
It was very convenient to the subway, and also within walking distance of so many other interesting areas, like Chinatown and Little Italy. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Starbucks right outside the main entrance! Spent some time there too.
At that time it was under 100.00 per night.....absolutely worth every penny and more.

• Stayed August 2001
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 June 2005

This was our first visit to NYC and all our friends were questioning why were staying so far away form Times Sq. The reason, we wanted a cheap clean hotel in a great location run by friendly staff.
The Cosmopolitan certainly delivered, the rooms though small are immaculately clean and the staff very friendly and helpful, for the price of hotel accomodation in NYC this was place was a bargain.
If it's your first visit stay away from the tacky rip off zone that's Times Square and stay in the this wonderful neighbourhood full of real New Yorkers, loads of great bars and some great restauraunts. The Subway is on your doorstep allowing you the opportunity to explore at will.
If you've got cash to burn then this place isn't for you, if you want a great hotel in the best location at a great price then give this place a go.

• Stayed May 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 June 2005

I booked a room on the recommendation of a NY friend who often uses the hotel for family and business associates. The booking was confirmed by email and I even emailed the hotel a couple of days before I left to let them know that I was sending a package of work ahead of me and would they take care of it. Yes, no problem came the reply. Unfortunately on checking-in I was unceremoniously told that I had cancelled the booking by phone 2 weeks after making it and that the hotel was now full. I have never called the hotel - even my booking was done on-line. After a long discussion I was told that I could stay for one night but that I'd have to find my own accommodation for the rest of my stay (5 nights). The guy behind the desk told me that if I wanted to complain I should take it up with the manager the following morning. I did and was equally unhelpful - he wasn't prepared to even consider the possibility that they'd either made an administrative mistake or had over-booked and cancelled my booking accordingly. "You called and cancelled" was the only comment he had to make. Eventually he told me that I could stay and that he'd figure it out somehow but luckily my company had found me an alternative hotel so I didn't take him up on the offer. We won't be using this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business