When looking for a hotel in NYC, I'm not too bothered about anything fancy as I don't spend much time in the room itself. However when booking this time, the Doubletree was reasonably priced on a special offer. I was hesitant about staying on Times Square, I find it too crowded and 'touristy' but I'm pleased I decided to go ahead and book this hotel.
After the hustle and bustle of the street outside, you step into a small area where the lifts are. You wait a few seconds for one to arrive and it quickly takes you up to the 3rd floor hotel lobby. The lobby itself is mostly peaceful, although at check in/out times it does get crowded and you often won't be able to get a seat. At other times though the bar area is a quiet haven from the bustle outside. The staff at reception were friendly and helpful, and of course the check in cookie was delicious!
I hadn't paid for a room with a view, as again I don't spend much time in the room. We were given room 1504 on the 15th floor and I was surprised at the great view we actually had. We looked onto Times Squre and also some office buildings and at night time it was great to look out at the city lights!
The room itself is fantastic. I understand the Times Square view rooms you pay extra for are actually much smaller as they're corner suites, so it was great to have a good view and not compensate with the size. The living room was spacious with a sofa and chair, coffee table, desk and a wet bar. The TV was huge, and there was another one in the bedroom although we couldn't get it to work, but that didn't bother us. There was a mini bar and a separate fridge for your own use which was handy. There's also a microwave but I didn't need this.
The bed was extremely comfortable, if you don't like soft beds you'll have trouble here! I did find the suite quite cold a lot of the time, and despite setting the temperature it never seemed to warm up too much.
The room had windows which opened, and opening them demonstrated how silent the room itself was despite Times Square being just outside! You could still hear the occasional siren or horn but it was a distant sound and nothing that disturbed sleep.
Each morning when we left there was a newspaper left outside the hotel room door, and the coffee supplies were always topped up.
There's no free Wi-Fi for the rooms, which was disappointing considering a 3 star hotel in NY we stayed in last year provided at least a slower speed free. There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby when it works, but it also means the lobby will be full of people just sitting on phones and laptops. You also have to pay just to use the computer's in the Business Center, again this is something which was completely free in a 3 star hotel the previous year.
The Times Square location was beginning to bug me slightly by the end of our stay, fighting our way through the busy crowds on an evening and constantly fighting off the people selling comedy club tickets, bus tours, restaurant flyers etc every 5 minutes was getting tiresome. The hotel itself is on top of a subway station, but it's a local station with no connections so we rarely got the chance to use it, we often walked down to Times Sq station.
Reception will print off boarding passes, but only outside of check in/out times so we had to ask concierge to print them, who were extremely friendly and despite only using them for this, I would recommend them based on the impression I had.
One thing which did annoy me, an employee stands near the lifts and tries to get you to attend a time share talk at their new Hilton hotel, or sell a cheap stay next time at the new hotel. After fighting off people in Times Square the last thing I wanted was to recieve a sales talk in my hotel and I found it quite annoying.
For breakfast I highly recommend not paying the expensive hotel prices and instead going right outside of the hotel and directly down the adajcent street to Evergreen Diner. We had breakfast there every morning and it was fantastic! The locals used it, it wasn't expensive, and the food portions are huge, along with extremely friendly staff.
I would love to return to this hotel in the future for a reasonable price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Times Square is the only all-suite hotel located on Broadway in the heart of Times Square excitement. The hotel recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation and is surrounded by Broadway theaters, New York City’s world-famous restaurants, shopping, museums and sightseeing. A TKTS booth, offering discount theater tickets, is directly across from the hotel. Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, The Museum of Modern Art, Fifth Avenue shopping, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Carnegie Hall and Central Park are all within walking distance. The hotel is just 15 blocks from Jacob Javits Convention Center, Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, Port Authority Bus Terminal and convenient to Grand Central Terminal and all (3) area airports.All of the hotel’s 460 two-room suites feature living room with sofa bed plus private bedroom and bathroom, Sweet Dreams by DoubleTree Sleep Experience bedding and modern amenities including two flat-screen televisions, wet bar, refrigerator, microwave, MP3 connectivity and large work desk with ergonomic chair. Onsite hotel amenities include newly renovated lobby with new check-in area, new Concierge/Theater Ticket Desk, brand new Ad Lib lobby lounge, brand new Gingers Restaurant, morning Coffee Kiosk, room service, complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center and complimentary 24-hour business center. The hotel has 10,000 square feet of modern event space. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Self & valet parking is available. The hotel allows pets, with a $50 pet surcharge per stay (under 60 lbs). 24-hour Security onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HRS, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree New York City
- Doubletree Times Square
- Suites New York City
- New York Suites
- Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square Nyc
- Doubletree Hotel Times Square
- Doubletree Hotel New York City