“First trip to NYC go Doubletree”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square
Ranked #183 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 March 2012

This was my first visit to NYC. I booked a double queen suite with a pullout sofa. I thought that I was going to have a times square view, but upon arrival I was told that the only rooms that face Times Square were rooms with king beds only. That seems a little odd to me. Reservations did not inform me of that A PARTY OF 5 WAS OUT OF LUCK CONCERNING TIMES SQUARE VIEW. When I got home I checked my reservations confirmation and my request for a TS view was noted. Even though I didn’t get a Times Square view, I was given a room with a great view. Our room was on the 37th floor. I was traveling with children and they needed extra blankets, pillows, and towels. Every request was granted quickly. I accidently left my purse in my room with a large amount of cash in it. Housekeeping had cleaned the room while I was out, and nothing was missing or touched. The doormen were the most friendly of the staff. Security was good. Be careful concerning the elevators. They will close on your arm. We pre-arranged for a private car to take us from airport to hotel for $50. We asked the Doubletree concierge to arrange transportation back to the airport. He secured a luxury SUV for a $100. I thought that was a little out of line, but I was ready to get home. I joked to my friend that it was okay with me if we rolled out of there like the “CULLENS!” I pre-arranged and paid for most everything before leaving home, and that might be what you need to do instead of utilizing the Doubletree concierge desk. They won’t save you any money. There was some jackhammering going on at breakfast time, but that was only on the mornings that we slept in and arrived at the restaurant later in the am. I purchased a package that included the hotel breakfast. I had to pay a little more for the breakfast to be included, but it was less than what it would had cost onsite. The breakfast was awesome, and that is probably where you will want to eat breakfast. I’m from the South, and I’m accustomed to hotel staff being very friendly (especially when spending big money), but I’m fairly sure that the lack of friendliness is typical in the North. The location of the Doubletree hotel is priceless. I’m a teacher with a very meager salary. If you are on a budget splurge for the Doubletree location, and eat at the McDonald’s next store!

1  Thank April K
bchoidtnyc, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear April K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Hope you enjoyed your first visit in NYC. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay. I'm also sorry to hear that you felt the lack of friendliness from us. I have already reviewed your concerns with our team.

We always strive to provide the perfect service to our guests. I would really appreciate if you can provide more information on your stay, so we may continue to improve our service.

We deeply appreciate your business with us, and we want to restore your confidence. While I know you have many hotel choices in NYC, I sincerely hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (8,349)

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Needless to say, the location is fantastic. The suites were roomy, the breakfast (Hilton Honors) outstanding but above all, the staff was great -- from the front desk to the housekeepers. Engaging, friendly and seemingly happy with what they do! Only negative was the fitness room where both stationary bikes tvs were not working. Also, I wish that hotels would tell you the "all-in" price (including the close to 20% taxes) when booking like the airlines are doing. I would highly recommend this property if you want a bit more room, a great staff and a Broadway location.

1  Thank Jim F

Dear Jim F,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As for our fitness center equipment not working properly, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We have already addressed your concerns. We would love an opportunity to welcome you back and deliver the level of accommodations you have every right to expect from DoubleTree. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

The hotel itself is in need of renovation. The employees are the friendliest around. I came in on Friday and the front office staff was giving out cookies in the lobby and the ground floor. Everyone is always smiling. I have to say the service makes up for the old rooms.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Jk6767
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the doubletree suites very clean nice hotel very friendly staff only negative thing about the trip was getting my food processor stolen out my room. Now I don't know if the maids mistaken the bag for trash which I highly doubt but when I return to my room on my last night stay the processor was gone otherwise good hotel

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Leannisastar

Dear Leannisastar,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I'm really sorry to hear that your food processor was missing from your room. I would really appreciate if you can provide more information on your stay, so we can investigate and address the issue. Thank you for staying with us. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice over the past few years. I must say each time we had wonderful service and a wonderful room. The staff is wonderful and caring and even the guy selling time shares was nice to chat with. He didn't push us into anything, just had a great conversation with him while I was waiting for my husband. We had a TS room with a view that couldn't be beat. Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Woken up this morning by the melody of jackmammers resounding throughout my room. Was asked by management:
" You were not informed"?
Well, no, I was not. Would I have stayed at this
expensive Times Square hotel if I had?? No, I would have stayed in a different expensive Times Square hotel
that was jackhammer free. Management did inform me that they "thought that some renovation was going on on the sixth floor".I am on the 8th.
Buyer beware. Alas, I have another morning to endure.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
5  Thank msreuscher
bchoidtnyc, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear msreuscher,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay and lack of communication. Our 6th floor meeting rooms are currently under renovation, the level of noise you have experience will not be heard throughout the renovation period.

We deeply appreciate your business with us, and we want to restore your confidence. We sincerely hope you will consider staying with us next time you come to NYC.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

I rarely rate reviews, but I visited NYC was my birthday gift. I read the reviews on this hotel like a million times. I am SO glad I picked the Doubletree. From the moment the taxi dropped us off at this hotel, I new I made the right decision. We got an earlier flight so we got there early. It wasn't an issue with early checkin. The hotel is literally in the middle of Times Square. Everything I saw on tv with the lights and all the people this hotel is in the center of it. It is very safe as well. You check in on the 3rd floor so once you walk in, there is always hotel security (doorman) and you take the elevator up and then from there you get a another elevator for the suites. The rooms are HUGE. The beds are comfortable. I read a review saying to ask for a top floor room. Well we got the top, 43rd floor. I didn't hear not one taxi cab hunking the horns or anything. Once you look at the window you can see all the night life from your room. The breakfast is DELICIOUS. The best I've ever had a hotel. We got the buffet. Pancakes and omelets were cooked to order. The rooms were very clean and I am VERY particular where I stay. Everything is seriously within walking distance from this hotel. I am visiting NYC again later this year and I've already booked again at this Doubletree!! Oh yeah, they give out hot fresh chocolate cookies at the desk. They are great. My boyfriend was sneaking down in the middle of the night to ask for them :-)

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor. I was in room 4309 if that helps and I didn't hear any noise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple