We stayed at this hotel for a week in March. The location is very central, right on Times Square and next to a subway entrance. The all-suites concept insures spacious rooms with a separate bed room, living room with sofa bed, a kitchenette that includes a small fridge, microwave and coffee and tea making facilities. The suites have two large LCD TV's. The bathroom is also spacious with a shower in the bath tub. The rooms are surprisingly quiet for such a busy New York area!
Check-in was quick and done by Rhonda, a very friendly and welcoming lady, who helped us out great with several questions during our stay. New York front office staff in general are not always the friendliest, but Rhonda was definitely a wonderful exception. Hopefully the hotel will recognize this lady's many efforts.
As a Hilton HHonors Diamond member, we were upgraded to a higher floor with a partial Times Square View, with a friendly smiling giant M&M greeting us every morning from a big video screen across the street. We also got free internet and breakfast coupons for two. The breakfast buffet was very good, including an egg station, that made everything from omelets to pancakes.
This his being an American property, you still get served the voided breakfast bill (60USD for two), so you can add the gratuity, which is not included in the HHonors free breakfast vouchers. Knowing that the breakfast waiters make next to nothing and that they live mostly off the gratuity, you need to add anything between 15% to 25%, depending on how satisfied you are with the service offered. The egg station also had a tip basket next to it, to tip the chef. Even though I fully understand the need of the gratuity system, I sometimes wonder why a 450USD hotel room and a 30USD breakfast charge can't cover a decent salary for the waiters. I rather pay a service charge than having to calculate a fair amount of gratuity for every bill.
The reason why I rated this hotel average is that this property could be so much more! Their all-suites hotel concept is really good, the location great, but everything looks so run down and tired. The elevators, hallways, rooms, public spaces, bar & restaurant scream for rigorous renovations. The room furnishings and finishings are very worn, the carpets show the stains from many years that can't be removed any further and the bathrooms also show their age. Next to this, the (clean) uniforms that the staff has to wear look like they were supplied many, many years ago, adding to the general feeling of staying at a hotel that is way past it's glory days.
When we stayed, they were in the process of renovating the lobby. Nevertheless, this lobby renovation should be the starting point for an extensive and complete overhaul up to the last room on the top floor. In it's current state it's not a bad place, but nothing more than that. Fully renovated and redesigned, this would be the best place to stay in New York in it's price range.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Times Square is the only all-suite hotel located on Broadway in the heart of Times Square excitement. The hotel recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation and is surrounded by Broadway theaters, New York City’s world-famous restaurants, shopping, museums and sightseeing. A TKTS booth, offering discount theater tickets, is directly across from the hotel. Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, The Museum of Modern Art, Fifth Avenue shopping, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Carnegie Hall and Central Park are all within walking distance. The hotel is just 15 blocks from Jacob Javits Convention Center, Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, Port Authority Bus Terminal and convenient to Grand Central Terminal and all (3) area airports.All of the hotel’s 460 two-room suites feature living room with sofa bed plus private bedroom and bathroom, Sweet Dreams by DoubleTree Sleep Experience bedding and modern amenities including two flat-screen televisions, wet bar, refrigerator, microwave, MP3 connectivity and large work desk with ergonomic chair. Onsite hotel amenities include newly renovated lobby with new check-in area, new Concierge/Theater Ticket Desk, brand new Ad Lib lobby lounge, brand new Gingers Restaurant, morning Coffee Kiosk, room service, complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center and complimentary 24-hour business center. The hotel has 10,000 square feet of modern event space. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Self & valet parking is available. The hotel allows pets, with a $50 pet surcharge per stay (under 60 lbs). 24-hour Security onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree New York City
- Doubletree Times Square
- Suites New York City
- New York Suites
- Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square Nyc
- Doubletree Hotel Times Square
- Doubletree Hotel New York City