“Fabulous hotel, location and holiday”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square
Ranked #184 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 November 2009

I travelled to New York with my two teenage children in October half term, and chose The Doubletree Guestsuites because we wanted somewhere central. I wasn't disappointed one bit. The location couldn't have been better. We were right in the middle of Times Square where it really didn't sleep. However, the hotel rooms are all located on high floors and the heavy drapes helped to shield out noise and lights so it didn't affect our sleep when we finally decided to lay our heads down.

What was also so great about the locations was that we were able to walk to see a show in the evening, walk to a range of restaurants includng TGI Fridays and Planet Hollywood, walk to Macy's, Fith Avenue and most of the good shopping areas without exhausting ourselves or getting blisters. The hotel was even in walking distance to the Empire State Building, Rockerfellers and Central Park. I would definitely advise people staying at the hotel to walk to your locations as much as possible, as you soon get to find your way around and you also see so much more. Besides, the traffic is so hectic, that often enough, it is probably quicker to walk than take a cab. The only times we needed to grab a a taxi was when it absolutely poured down and when we needed to get to the harbour to get a boat to take us on a tour.

For those wanting to sightsee, I would recommend both Rockerfellers observation deck, as well as Empire State Building. We went to Rockerfellers in the daytime and Empire at night. It didn't close until 2am so we went at midnight. Brilliant choice - no queues and lit up New York at night was breath-taking. When we got out, we were offered a limosine ride back to the hotel for a mere $20. Needless to say, we accepted and it was great. I would also recommend the Circle Line cruise, which takes you down the Hudson, where you can see Manhattan Island, as well as the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge and many other main attractions. I bought a New York Pass which I used to get into most of the attractions. I haven't worked out yet if I managed to save money, but it probably saved us a little time from queueing. Although, in all honestly, we never experienced any major long queues anywhere.

For those who love to shop, there is great variety. There are the top class stores but if you search, you will also find some reasonable priced discount stores. There is something for everyone but I wouldn't say you would be able to find anything cheaper than you can in England. I loved Macys most. The same goes for eating out. I didn't think it was particularly cheap but probably what you would expect to pay in most restaurants in London. Alcoholic drinks, I found were overpriced. I remember paying anything from $16-$22 for a double Baileys. And when I thought about buying a bottle in, I was horrified to find that the hotel could supply a bottle for $110.

One of the great things about the hotel, other than the location, excellent room, facilities and service, was that we were allowed to bring in our own food and drink. This was particularly useful as my two teenagers were able to nip out late at night and bring in a MacDonalds from next door when they felt peckish. There were even mornings, when they fancied MacDonalds pancakes for breakfast. The room had both a fridge and a microwave, which meant if you do want to cater for yourself a little to save money, you can. It certainly helped me out with my two teenagers who constantly wanted to snack.

All in all, we had a wonderful time. If you are thinking about going, do so. It really is a fantastic place to visit. Oh and if you go to Central Park, I would definitely recommend the little bicycle cab rides which will take you on an hour guided tour. We had a fantastic time, the guide was hilarious and showed us so many landmarks and could tell us about practically every location within the park which had been the scene for numerous films and TV shows. It cost about $80 for the guide but he really did earn it and it was great fun and Central Park in Autumn was truly stunning. The three of us loved New York. Both of my children want to move there. I wouldn't go that far but I am planning on going back in a couple of years, but I'd like to make my next visit at Christmas time.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Callum-Forder
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square

Reviewed 1 November 2009

Wow! This was my 7th trip to Times Square in 3 years. I'd never stayed at the Doubletree before, as we're members of another chain's rewards program. But, at the last minute I had the opportunity to travel to NYC and booked what was really the only reasonably priced room in the area.
Upon arrival at 10 am, I was delighted to find a room available. When we got to the room, I was blown away by the view, overlooking Times Square, not to mention the size of the room, it was huge for NYC standards. I was a bit concerned since we were located by the elevators, but because of a hallway leading from our door to the bedroom, elevator noise was not a factor.
I would definately recommend this hotel to friends, as well as stay there again of the opportunity presented itself.

Reviewed 1 November 2009

I have just returned from my second visit to New York City with 3 friends. I could highly recommend this hotel to other travellers. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome by all the staff esp Daniel. Our suite was more than adequate with a fridge, microwave etc etc. The cleaning and house keeping staff were very helpful and nice. Room was spotless when we arrived and it was serviced every day.

The only criticism that I have is that when you switch on the tv, the entertainment package comes on automatically which you have to pay for if you use-we weren't aware of that and ended up buying a music package that we didn't want.

I will def return to this hotel and would highly recommend it to fellow travellers.

PS The welcome cookies were delicious- thanks Daniel :-)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2009

This was my first time in NY. I researched online for over a month before I decided to stay at the Doubletree in Times Square. I don't regret it. Although pricey you just can't beat the location. The double decker red tour bus was right across the street from the hotel. Also, there is a fairly new Walgreens along with a Metro station within easy walking distance. The location is excellent. The room was clean and service was great. I would recommend the suite style room for any family. We stayed in a suite with sofa-bed and two double beds in a separate room. It was a very comfortable room, and as I understand roomy but by NY standards.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank YaNeko
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Clean, safe and excellent location. I'd recommend Doubletree for families, since the rooms are big, have a fridge and the location is so good. Whenever travelling with family we return here.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2009

The hotel was excellent in virtually every way - but I'd advise anyone to give the concierge a miss.

The rooms are huge by NY standards, and ours was pretty much silent (we were on a low floor facing Times Square which I would guess would be the noisiest part of the hotel).

The location is perfect if you want the bustle of the square, but it is pretty vibrant around the hotel, particularly late at night so think about this.

The employees of the hotel are truly outstanding. We were asked "is there anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable?", on a number of occasions. There wasn't.

The breakfast buffet is comprehensive and we skipped lunch most days - the team in the restaurant were really friendly and I have to single out Steve, who was on the egg stand one morning. My wife ordered waffles, and Steve was talking her into having two. I mentioned that it was her birthday - and Steve's face immediately lit up and wished her a happy birthday. He then dashed off through a door to reappear moments later clutching a bag with a couple of tins of Doubletree cookies - and told my wife that the entire team at the hotel wished her a happy birthday. A truly lovely gesture from an outstanding ambassador for the hotel.

The bell-hop team were excellent as well (we do tend to leave NY with more luggage than we arrive with)...

Now the bad bit - the hotel appears to have "outsourced" its concierge to a third party company called Continental Guest Services whose team was very poor.

Firstly, the Mexican restaurant which they "booked" for us didn't have a table when we arrived, and then told us that they didn't in fact accept reservations. We were offered the chance to wait for a table but declined.

On the day of our departure, we booked a car to Newark airport - and paid $114. While one of the team arranged this, we couldn't help but overhear a female member of the team, telling a more junior member of the team how to sell theatre tickets to unsuspecting guests. The "tips of the trade" made me think that I would never, ever buy tickets from a hotel concierge again, and immediately made me think we'd been ripped off.

One of my buddies told me that this was way over the odds, and arranged an alternative at 1/3 less than this. The booking confirmation arranged by the hotel concierge stated that the booking could be cancelled with more than two hours' notice but team initially claimed that all sales were final and non-refundable. After some prompting from me, and a debate with the woman mentioned above, they agreed to refund my money.

So...., all in all an excellent hotel. Great rooms and brilliant staff who all want to "go the extra mile". But my tip would be to avoid the concierge like the plague, and my tip for the hotel management would be get rid of the outsourced concierge company and employ people more in tune with the rest of their staff.

3  Thank Swindoneric
Reviewed 26 October 2009

From our arrival to our check out we received exceptional service from everyone at Doubletree. Freindly and accomodating staff. Clean and comfortable room with a beautiful view. The cookies were a delicious treat. We had a wonderful 7 day vacation in the heart of New York!