I travelled to New York with my two teenage children in October half term, and chose The Doubletree Guestsuites because we wanted somewhere central. I wasn't disappointed one bit. The location couldn't have been better. We were right in the middle of Times Square where it really didn't sleep. However, the hotel rooms are all located on high floors and the heavy drapes helped to shield out noise and lights so it didn't affect our sleep when we finally decided to lay our heads down.
What was also so great about the locations was that we were able to walk to see a show in the evening, walk to a range of restaurants includng TGI Fridays and Planet Hollywood, walk to Macy's, Fith Avenue and most of the good shopping areas without exhausting ourselves or getting blisters. The hotel was even in walking distance to the Empire State Building, Rockerfellers and Central Park. I would definitely advise people staying at the hotel to walk to your locations as much as possible, as you soon get to find your way around and you also see so much more. Besides, the traffic is so hectic, that often enough, it is probably quicker to walk than take a cab. The only times we needed to grab a a taxi was when it absolutely poured down and when we needed to get to the harbour to get a boat to take us on a tour.
For those wanting to sightsee, I would recommend both Rockerfellers observation deck, as well as Empire State Building. We went to Rockerfellers in the daytime and Empire at night. It didn't close until 2am so we went at midnight. Brilliant choice - no queues and lit up New York at night was breath-taking. When we got out, we were offered a limosine ride back to the hotel for a mere $20. Needless to say, we accepted and it was great. I would also recommend the Circle Line cruise, which takes you down the Hudson, where you can see Manhattan Island, as well as the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge and many other main attractions. I bought a New York Pass which I used to get into most of the attractions. I haven't worked out yet if I managed to save money, but it probably saved us a little time from queueing. Although, in all honestly, we never experienced any major long queues anywhere.
For those who love to shop, there is great variety. There are the top class stores but if you search, you will also find some reasonable priced discount stores. There is something for everyone but I wouldn't say you would be able to find anything cheaper than you can in England. I loved Macys most. The same goes for eating out. I didn't think it was particularly cheap but probably what you would expect to pay in most restaurants in London. Alcoholic drinks, I found were overpriced. I remember paying anything from $16-$22 for a double Baileys. And when I thought about buying a bottle in, I was horrified to find that the hotel could supply a bottle for $110.
One of the great things about the hotel, other than the location, excellent room, facilities and service, was that we were allowed to bring in our own food and drink. This was particularly useful as my two teenagers were able to nip out late at night and bring in a MacDonalds from next door when they felt peckish. There were even mornings, when they fancied MacDonalds pancakes for breakfast. The room had both a fridge and a microwave, which meant if you do want to cater for yourself a little to save money, you can. It certainly helped me out with my two teenagers who constantly wanted to snack.
All in all, we had a wonderful time. If you are thinking about going, do so. It really is a fantastic place to visit. Oh and if you go to Central Park, I would definitely recommend the little bicycle cab rides which will take you on an hour guided tour. We had a fantastic time, the guide was hilarious and showed us so many landmarks and could tell us about practically every location within the park which had been the scene for numerous films and TV shows. It cost about $80 for the guide but he really did earn it and it was great fun and Central Park in Autumn was truly stunning. The three of us loved New York. Both of my children want to move there. I wouldn't go that far but I am planning on going back in a couple of years, but I'd like to make my next visit at Christmas time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Times Square is the only all-suite hotel located on Broadway in the heart of Times Square excitement. The hotel recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation and is surrounded by Broadway theaters, New York City’s world-famous restaurants, shopping, museums and sightseeing. A TKTS booth, offering discount theater tickets, is directly across from the hotel. Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, The Museum of Modern Art, Fifth Avenue shopping, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Carnegie Hall and Central Park are all within walking distance. The hotel is just 15 blocks from Jacob Javits Convention Center, Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, Port Authority Bus Terminal and convenient to Grand Central Terminal and all (3) area airports.All of the hotel’s 460 two-room suites feature living room with sofa bed plus private bedroom and bathroom, Sweet Dreams by DoubleTree Sleep Experience bedding and modern amenities including two flat-screen televisions, wet bar, refrigerator, microwave, MP3 connectivity and large work desk with ergonomic chair. Onsite hotel amenities include newly renovated lobby with new check-in area, new Concierge/Theater Ticket Desk, brand new Ad Lib lobby lounge, brand new Gingers Restaurant, morning Coffee Kiosk, room service, complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center and complimentary 24-hour business center. The hotel has 10,000 square feet of modern event space. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Self & valet parking is available. The hotel allows pets, with a $50 pet surcharge per stay (under 60 lbs). 24-hour Security onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree New York City
- Doubletree Times Square
- Suites New York City
- New York Suites
- Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square Nyc
- Doubletree Hotel Times Square
- Doubletree Hotel New York City