“A little Kaiseki gem”

Neighbourhood: TriBeCa
Cross street: Between Church Street and West Broadway
Transit: 1, 2, 3, A, C & E Trains to Chambers Street
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This is a wonderful (and apparently under- appreciated gem In Tribeca. The place is tiny but beautiful in a very restrained way that carried through the food and service. We were there on a Friday evening after making last minute reservations and the place was only half full which is difficult to understand given the wonderful meal that we had. We opted for the smallest set menu ("only" seven courses) and each course was exquisite with an excellent selection of paired sakis. The courses were beautifully presented in stunning Japanese serving dishes. Very professional service. Each course left absolutely nothing to be desired. The courses are small, but more than enough to satisfy our appetites. Difficult to understand why it was so easy to get a table unless perhaps potential diners are afraid of the high cost- but it was worth every cent!

3  Thank plkmtk

Reviewed 17 October 2012

We guarantee best Real Japanese restaurant in the world not in N.Y.!
We always out of dinner in Japan .
Of course 3 stars include! But this is best in the word .choice $ 200 course!
Never regret !

4  Thank ヒサボン
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I've wanted to go to Rosanjin for a long time, to try their version of kaiseki, and finally took a friend there last night. There were only two others in the restaurant, between 8 and 10:30 when we left, and now I know why. We had the $120 menus, along with the sake pairing, which added up to $500 for two, including tip. The two servers were lovely and very charming, the food was mostly very good, and exquisite to look at, the sake pairings interesting, and also well-explained, which we appreciated. The room is quiet and dark and beautiful, all in all a very nice experience. My friend and I both agreed that we'd had much better kaiseki in Japan, which is I suppose no surprise, but it was an excellent meal, beautifully served. My only reservation is the very high price: I just don't think the food is good enough to deserve this. For the same price you could have a wonderful meal at Le Bernardin, or Jean Georges, or even Corton, a couple of blocks away (the menu of which I looked at with some envy and regret when I got home last night). If I could have dinner for $50-75 a person, without wine, I'd come back here. I love kaiseki, I know it's labor intensive and therefore bound to be expensive, but in New York, with all the options available, to cost this much the food has to be transcendent, and this wasn't, quite.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This ain't your mama's sushi restaurant. Beyond the unique cuisine (Kyoto-style Kaiseki - look it up), what's amazing about this place is that despite being a sushi aficionado, half of the dishes we tasted here were completely foreign to us. The quality is supreme and the setting magnificent. But don't come here if you're looking for great sushi. You'll be disappointed. Come here if you want a night out in one of Japan's finest Japanese restaurants, but can't get on a plane to do it.

1  Thank Ziv N
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We went to Rosanjin for a "surprise" birthday dinner that my daughter and I had arranged for my wife’s birthday. [As a quick aside: the surprise was that both my father-in-law and brother-in-law had just arrived in NYC, traveling that very day from Italy, and showed up at the restaurant unannounced. The amount of "appreciative" noises that my wife produced as the surprise was revealed, while subdued by Italian standards, may have terminally compromised any future hopes at securing another reservation at this remarkably classy and quiet establishment ;-]
After we all settled down, we had an unforgettable, truly wonderful dining experience. The food was exceptionally fresh, imaginative and impeccably prepared. The visual presentation was also quite outstanding as it was the visual appeal of the dining room setting itself: well lit (I like to see what eat), serene, and calm. It was a refreshingly rare departure from the cavernous, poorly lit, unbearably noisy dining halls that seem to be so hard to avoid these days even at this (rather high) price point. The service was superb: we were attended by an unobtrusive team of knowledgeable professionals, who explained succinctly and with some humor the various food preparations. We also received an outstanding recommendation regarding sake selection. We will be back ( … if they let us back in!).

2  Thank NYC-piano