“Call it the Pubic Hair Inn”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of New York Inn

New York Inn
Ranked #448 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Glassboro, New Jersey
“Call it the Pubic Hair Inn”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I've seen more cleanliness in Turkish prisons.

Entered the room through a dented, scratched up steel door that had 4 locks on it. Walls were dirty and had holes in them. There was a steel top and bottom locker, like you may have had in high school. Inside the top portion was an extra blanket that was just bunched up in a ball and thrown in there.

With a pubic hair on top.

The bottom portion had an extra pillow, with pubic hair on it. I looked at the bed closely, to find pubic hair on that pillow, too. Against my better judgement, I peeled back the blankets to find, you guessed it, some more pubic hair.

The AC had pubic hair on top of it, and grime around the old switches to turn it on. The bathroom had a sink that was too low to the ground for a normal sized person, with a pubic hair on the drain. So I opened the shower curtain, which had mold and pubic hair on it. The drain, surprisingly, had pubic hair on it. TV had dust on it, but somehow was pubic hair free. Maybe I couldn't see it that easily since it was black, I don't know.

I regret not taking pictures, but between the filth and musty smell throughout the whole building, I wanted to get out ASAP. Stayed for all of 10 minutes, which was spent searching for another hotel on their WiFi. I got charged for one night, but would have given my firstborn son to leave sooner.

The price was high for such a dump, even by NYC prices, but it did include breakfast. Maybe someone else can say for sure if there was pubic hair in the food.

Room Tip: Sleeping on the street would be cleaner.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
17 Thank F N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Branford, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

This isn't your average terrible hotel, this was incredible. I'm just going to walk you through the intricate series of events that brings this baby to the top worst hotel I've ever stayed at.
Now this is a cheap hotel, my girlfriend and I weren't looking for the Ritz, just something comfortable and safe to stay in for one night.
We arrive at the hotel around 7, it's next to an old Subway place but it is certainly hidden. A smiley young fellow greeted us and provided us with two cards to our room. As we're checking in two guys look my girlfriend dead in the eye and say "Don't do it. Don't check in". We shrug it off, it's just a place for the night. We walked up to the second floor, room 110, and tried to open it. Keys don't work, ehh that's alright it happens. Go downstairs to go see our smiley friend and you can see he is expecting this. He recodes the keys and says "try now" and they still don't work. After performing this dance three times he politely lets us in. This is where the real fun begins.

We open the door and it's a small room. Actually small doesn't do it justice, it's less than 15 by 15ft. There are no windows, there is a bathroom (well, we'll get into that later), there is a water stained picture and a stand alone A/C unit. The bed is on something that resembles a box spring but you're pretty much sleeping on the ground. The linens were not what you would expect from a hotel, it's more like linens you would receive from your weird aunt who has too many cats and had a feeling of denim. We drop off our stuff and go see the band we had tickets for.

I proceed to get thoroughly drunk. We go back to the hotel and have a new friend to let us in. We do the card thing again, and then again, and then he lets us in with his own key. I pass out feeling pretty claustrophobic with no window. The nicest part of the adventure was when I awoke around 4AM dripping with sweat. When they decided this room with no window was uninhabitable for anyone in the summer they fitted it with an A/C machine. The A/C machine has some type of dryer venting to expel the hot air that went into the ceiling. This was taped together, and the tape had melted and the hose fell resulting in the room temperature reaching 93 degrees. I was still partially drunk and couldn't figure this out till much later, and this pissed me off.

I wake later and decide to give the shower a go. Let me describe this bathroom to you. It is a room, it has a curtain that is held up by some out of code scaffolding. The "tub" or "basin" is nothing more than a rough ridge with a hole in it. There is black mold EVERYWHERE. I shower, walk barefoot across the lovely carpeting and pack my things and leave.

As we leave a new fellow informs us we owe the hotel fifty cents. We had prepaid, however for some reason we owed fifty cents. I don't know why we did, but we paid this guy. He gave us a receipt that had some weird info on the back, I'll attach a picture.

I know this was long winded but I was so excited when I left there to tell the world of my experience. I am thinking back to when I laid in that bed in 93 degree heat contemplating life. How did I get to this moment? Why am I here and what is going to happen to me? It was an eye opening experience. I won't do it again though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
30 Thank TWALKER491

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Miami, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

One of the narrowest hotels I have ever stayed in. The staff tries hard to be friendly sometimes without succeeding. I got a room on the top floor, no elevator. It smelled funny but housekeeping did a good job keeping it clean. Breakfast is included at an abandoned Subway on the adjacent property and is good enough. You get what you pay for. Location couldn't be better walking distance to Times Square, Broadway theaters, Restaurant Ave and public transportation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nico-Villar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

dirty dangerous and a fire hazard…i forfeited my first night accommodation that i had prepaid as I would not subject myself to stay in this dump.The room was filthy the carpet was foul and the stairs were rotten..enough said?

Room Tip: The Edison hotel just around the corner near Broadway is a lot better value….
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank harleybearhsc
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel offers poor quality for relatively high price. Amazingly, the warning at the entrance announces that the property is not safe to enter. You can still operate such establishment in New York without problems from authorities? Initially we were put in a terrible room (#110). It is not even a room, but a walk-in closet which greedy owners converted to a sleeping place. There are no windows, no hangers, nothing but a bed and a tiny bathroom. Should be avoided by all cost. When in the morning I have inquired whether this room really costs $190 we were transferred without questions to another much better one. It was still worse that a usual room which you can get for $80 elsewhere, but of course the location matters. The location is superb: in the middle of theater district not far from Central Park and other attractions. If you want to use it as a sleeping spot only it may work. That is why I rate it as "poor", not "terrible". We did not come to New York to stay in the room anyway. The breakfast was simple but OK. Personal tried to oblige. In summary, if you are planning to spend any time in the hotel - look for another place. If the location is important to you to explore Manhattan you can consider it. I was not able to find anything cheaper in this area using Hotels.com but it is difficult to imagine that there is nothing better available in the neighborhood for a comparable price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LabRat_2255
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

The room was dirty, the bed was terrible, weird pipes on the floor. The shower had no cabin and water ran all over the floor. The construction noise on the roof behind our window woke us up at 7 am!!!

Room Tip: This hotel was a disaster! Don't ever stay there!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank yanafisher
Milwaukee, WI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Possibly the worst hotel in NYC. NOTE: It is a walk up.. No elevator. There is construction work next door. The room was small, numerous water stains on the ceiling, paint chipping. The mattress was old and saggy. The wood floor was so rotten that I thought my foot would go through to the next room. Other problems too long to list. In the bathroom there is so little room that you have to have one foot in the shower if you want to use the sink. No bottled water nor cups/glasses. Compare the picture of the “restaurant” on the hotel website vs the one I took in May 2014. And the “restaurant” is not functional. The website says 35 rooms under renovation. I saw no renovation going on. Rooms not as advertised on website.
The American breakfast was not an American breakfast. It was only coffee, juice, and small croissants. No eggs, bacon, pancakes, cereal, or fruit or tea. The server at breakfast appeared to double as the maintenance man. The room where "breakfast" was being served was dirty. The pictures on the hotels website did not even closely resemble my room.
I just wanted to get out ASAP.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo