“Great location+cheap”

Ranked #432 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location+cheap”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel is perfect for people who are going to NY for the first time and are mostly going to be outside of the hotel, exploring NY and its attractions. Great location for a cheap price. But you get what you pay for. The rooms are small, but fairly clean, there were a lot of hair in the bathroom in my room and TV didn't work, but very friendly staff quickly fixed that problem. Don't expect great city view from your window and awesome breakfast in the morning. But again if you are not going to stay in the room all the time, and just need a clean bad to spend the night, without paying to much, this place is definitely for you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Montreal
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I love staying at this hotel each time I visit NYC for its location. It is close to all the places I love to visit - within walking distance, including the park, theatre district, great take-out places to bring back to the hotel. It is remarkably inexpensive for a city where hotels are extremely expensive and often for not so great places. I will always stay there provided you can get a reservation. They often seem to be booked.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2013

First and foremost, I cannot stress just how cramped and claustrophobic this hotel is.

When you walk up, the lot next door is under construction, and the hotel entrance is hidden under scaffolding (not their fault, I know, but it does affect the sound level of the hotel). When you walk in, the hallway for the lobby is so skinny that you have to go single file, and good luck if other guests and their bags are there too. The elevator is old and is just as cramped and only had space for me and my boyfriend and our luggage. You also have to open a door that swings outward to get in or out, and is a huge hassle when lifting heavy bags, or if there's someone else waiting for the elevator with their own bags. Then you have to go through ANOTHER swinging door that is blocked by the elevator door to get to the rooms. I meant to take a picture of my boyfriend (6'2") in the hallway to show how he barely fit, but I was too busy stressing about opening doors while carrying bags to take out the camera.

Then when we got to the room, we weren't impressed. It was incredibly small and had no place for us to store our luggage, so we couldn't really move around in the room. It was difficult to get into the bathroom because we couldn't open the door because our luggage was in the way. The bathroom was also very tiny, and the shower barely fit my boyfriend. It was also freezing cold for 5 minutes before it abruptly switched to scalding. The room wasn't super clean either, and our sheets had a huge green stain on it. They have a window AC unit that chills the room well enough, but it super loud, and drips when used for long periods. I couldn't use the windowsill to place my phone when charging because there was a mini-pond on it.

All of this I could have dealt with if the service was exceptional, but it wasn't and I will never go back here again. I got unnecessary attitude from the front desk when I called with a question. And when we decided to change hotels, we asked the front desk to call us a cab, cause we had several large and very heavy bags. He said no. He said they don't call yellow cabs for anyone unless they're going to the airport. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but they were incredibly rude on multiple occasions.

I will say that the location is amazing, one block from central park, and the NQR line is just around the corner. The man who staffed the luggage room, however was incredibly kind and helpful, and I wish he also ran the front desk because then our experience would have been different. But I will never return based on the facilities and the service I received, just not worth it. I'd rather pay a little more for great service, room, and no hassle.

We traveled as a couple and spent 2 nights in August 2013 before changing hotels for the last night.

Room Tip: No room is good here, they're all too small and noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel K

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 4 August 2013

U couldn't wish for more regarding the prices they have. U get the small breakfast in the morning which was just fine for me, but maybe too little for somebody who eats a bit more. The hotel is situated in a great location, just a few steps away from Central park and Plaza hotel. It was clean and i felt safe..:)Would definitely stayed again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Aleksandra_H24
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Park Savoy is an excelent option for the travels to want to get a great location for an excelent price.Everyting is near, one block from central park, one block from the subway.

The rooms are very small but very clean. They don't include internet :(

The guys from the front desk are not very friendly. Probabily this is the only aspect that they need to improve.

But its a great Location ! and CLEAN! ! ! ! Really this is very important in New York when I was looking a hotel there was only one similar (in price $$) in China Town (very far from the good stuff) and that hotel hadn't good reviews.

Also its a little noisy because of all the constructions that are next to the building.

But for me and my sister was PERFECT ! ! !

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hellen27
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This is about as basic as you can get for the price. We had a wedding to attend at the JW Essex Marriott across the street. We wanted to save some money so we booked a room at this hotel. The room is ridiculously cheap for NY and right next to Central Park ! The room is clean, but our shower drained incredibly slowly. I wore my crocs to take a shower. There is no central AC so you have this really loud window AC. Also, the bed is really hard and the pillows felt as if they were stuffed with newspapers. The heat in the shower also went back and forth from cold to warm. However, on our last day, I showered in the morning and there was surprisingly hot water ! The steam from the shower set off the fire alarm. Also, bring your own hair dryer if you can.

All in all, it is a cheap, clean, incredibly basic hotel that is really close to wherever you want to be. If you're up for an adventure, this place is it. At least there are no bed bugs :)

Room Tip: Bring your own hair dryer, bring shower slippers just in case, bring ear plugs for the AC noise, and...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle L
Clarksville
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Well first of all the unshaven desk clerk was rude (customer service?). Welcoming....not. The elevator is a 4 x4 box that is inadequate (plan on climbing the steps with your luggage). It is a dive that just happens to be by Central Park. If you do take a walk in the park you'll see a homeless man sleeping on the rocks that is more comfortable than you'll be in the awful bed they charged me $130.00 to toss and turn in. I feel sorry for the poor maids that have to work there. I am not too happy with Hotels.com either. Try The Salsbury on 57th or The Park Central. I have stayed at both and you'll be glad you spent a few more dollars.

• Stayed July 2013