“Great, clean, fun little Manhattan retreat”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #229 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Seattle, Washington
“Great, clean, fun little Manhattan retreat”
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I really enjoyed this hotel. It's clean, comfortable, and well-designed. I got the queen-sized room, which has an amazing amount of very clever built-in storage. The room is tiny (and the bath tinier); but it's still organized well enough to accommodate two people and their stuff very comfortably. I didn't feel at all claustrophobic or cramped, as I often do in small hotel rooms.

The clientele leans heavily toward European tourists, who mingle in both the downstairs lounge and the rooftop deck. I was on an upper floor, and had no noise issues at all. It's light on amenities -- but the only one that really mattered was the free wi-fi anyway. After all, you're in New York. If there's anything else you need, it's out there.

I've stayed in hotels all over Manhattan, and like the Turtle Bay location of this one best. Just steps around the corner on Second Ave are lots of little neighborhood businesses that have everything you might find you need: laundry, groceries, and a nice selection of fairly-priced restaurants. I got a massage at Sunflower, about three doors down -- also clean, professional, and highly recommended for a tired traveler, at a price that can't be beat.

Head over to Third Ave for the big chain stores, or to catch a cab. It's also an easy walk to 57th St., Fifth Ave, and the park.

Bright, homey, friendly, quiet, and clean. Not much more I could have asked for. I'll definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank RedAhead

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I’ve travelled with my husband, and we are in our late 30´s. We had a prepaid reservation for a double pod. When I arrived there I realized that as we had 2 suitcases each it was IMPOSSIBLE to fit there. Therefore we change to the Queen Pod room. Very small but yet bigger than the other, but of course it cost us a little more.
Hotel is correct, clean and extremely nice located for a first trip to NYC, later trips will have us towards the Upper West Side. Staff is very nice as well.
Anyhow, I would only recommend this to very young people with small luggage and no intentions on doing any shopping. Nice area, specially at night.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Larita2007
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I could have stayed at the W for the price. The following things were wrong with the room:

- the "iPod Dock" is actually a CD player from 1997
- the faucet in the shower was loose and wobbled in the wall
- the shower curtain didn't completely seal the shower, so the floor got wet all the time
- they had no ice buckets. Really, ~170$/night hotel?! Really?!?!
- the wall safe mechanism was out of batteries when I checked in
- the hallways are unusually dark... like night club dark

For the price, for the target market (people like me, I guess,) and for a hotel in the US, this was all unacceptable.

Apart from that, the room was really clean, the 51st-street location is nice.

Room Tip: I used Expedia; the rate was 10$ cheaper per night
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I stayed here with my mother for five night in march and we were pleasantly surprised on arrival. The room, although small, seemed spacious by NYC standards, particularly given the price. We stayed in a queen room with our own bathroom, it was clean, modern& all the space is well used.
The roof terrace is amazing, particularly at night, you are surrounded by skyscrapers, it's beautiful. The concierge service is also good, she checked us onto our flight online when we were leaving, printed our boarding pass&ordered us a taxi in about two mins.
The only thing negative we found, and it is quite a big negative, we cane back from a day's sightseeing to find our room door lying wide open and the light was on. We had not left it like this. We immediately checked if anything was missing but thankfully there wasn't. I phoned to reception to complain& was told someone would be up immediately to check that the door hadn't been forced open and to ensure it was locking properly, no-one arrived so I went to reception & spoke to a different member of staff who could not have been less helpful. When I explained to him what had happened he did not even react, he simply stood looking at me blankly. I then asked him to send someone to check the door & he said he would.( no-one ever checked the door to our knowledge.) he didn't apologise, offer any form of assistance or explanation, extremely disinterested and unhelpful. Which is a pity because it is a huge disappointment in an otherwise fantastic trip and a huge failing by the hotel, which otherwise would certainly have been receiving top marks from me&recommendations to friends.

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank Sorchaflorcha
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Arrived here for 6 days, taxi to hotel was great however over eager concierge bet us to the bags! Tip 1 handed over b4 we started our holiday!
We stayed in bunk bed room, small but cool, air conditioning which was a massive bonus due to the hot weather. Ladder and handle rail were not the safest but could be moved around meaning that extra space got created. We had two very large bags and found no problem moving around the room with them.
Room was cleaned daily, towels changed daily. Very eager maid knocking at 09.00am in the morning was not a bonus, considering their was no "do not disturb sign".
Shared bathrooms were always spotless, showers were amazing. Their was always a toilet free when we needed one.
Lifts were annoying.. 3 lifts and they were not very efficient!
Reception staff were a little rude but nothing we couldn't handle.
Morning star cafe on 2nd avenue (around the corner) is amazing for both breakfast and dinner.
We will Definately 100% be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2011
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The photos in the website are great. When you arrive, the location and cleanliness are very good. BUT... A few hours after my arrival in the hotel, MY CREDIT CARD WAS CLONED. While I was walking in NY... Someone was buying things in Netherlands!!! In the other day, Visa blocked my card and I found that very strange... So I discovered the fraud... In that moment, I was already suspecting of the hotel, because I almost never use my credit card... So, when the hotel left a letter in my room, asking me to go to the reception because the credit card I left for guarantee (and they have made a xerox of it, like they do - I think - with every guest's credit cards) wasn't working, I told them about my suspicion and... they haven't said anything! The receptionist and the manager had just smiled... So, I took the emergency card that Visa has send to me and left as the guarantee with fear... Guess what??? When I landed in my country, my bank called me with another fraud problem! Another purchase was made with my card! In Netherlands!!!
So,unfortunately, I can't incriminate the hotel, but I can say to you: DON'T GO TO THIS HOTEL. NY HAS LOTS OF HOTELS, CHEAPER AND BETTER THAN THAT!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank LaViajante
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I stayed last July when the single room rates were a bargain $89 per night. I got an end room on the 14th floor that was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Since I have a bad back, I really liked the hard mattress. This is the first hotel that I didn't need to place the mattress on the floor. For those who complain about the staff or restaurants, there is no need to worry about trivia such as that unless you plan on making lifelong friends with everyone you encounter. Why worry about restaurants being in-house. There is a McDonald's a block down the street that sells angus snack wraps for $2. There is also an Emporium Supermarket 1/2 block down the street. If you are staying for one week, the MTA train passes are only $27 per week. You don't need to waste money on taxis. The trains go pretty close to any Manhattan destination. And if you are one of those poor chumps spending $50 to get to LaGuardia, save your money. With the MTA pass, or a $2 fare+transfer, you can take the #7 train, get off at Junction Blvd and take a 10-15 minute bus ride straight to LaGuardia. It only takes 30-45 minutes from The Pod to LaGuardia by MTA. As long as your suitcase has wheels, you might as well exercise them. The one thing missing at The Pod is an ice machine. So save your plastic bags from The Emporium. Then just walk a couple blocks down the street to the Double Tree Hotel, go up to a room area, and fill your plastic bag with free ice from their ice machines. Nobody will ever know the difference.

Room Tip: If you worry about noisy neighbors, request an en.
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled solo