“Horrendously rude staff!”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #227 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 March 2014

From the moment we walked into this Hotel we were treated like dirt. Although our room was tiny we did not mind that so much at we were in New York and that is expected but the whole week we were there we had terrible experiences with the staff. Upon our arrival they did not even tell us which room we were in or offer to show us to the room they just took the money and gave us some paper with the room number and our keys on it. We were left to find the room for ourselves. Although the check-in was pretty straight forward and we did not think much of it only that the attitude was a bit stand offish and maybe that is how they do it here. However a few days later we were sitting in the reception and saw another couple being checked-in by the same man who checked us in. The man was acting extremely helpful and kind to this couple, saying things like: "I hope you found us okay, and you had a good trip here", "here are some free drink vouchers for the bar next door, oh and here is a voucher to receive discounts on meals at the bar" "I hope you have a wonderful stay with us" "You can take the elevator straight up to your room". We found this even more disturbing as we had previously assumed this was just the way the staff were but not it appears only we were coping all the rudeness. On our last day we had been out all day and it had been raining our coats were completely soaking and we asked is there somewhere we can hang these because we had checked out of our room and still had hours before our bus. The man at the counter said no we do not offer services like that. So we had no way of drying out jackets.

On another occasion we asked a lady at the counter if the hotel offered laundry services or she knew somewhere we could do laundry. The answer there might be a place a few blocks away, but sorry other than that I can not help you. When we spoke with the tourist information person next to the front counter of the hotel and asked him where he recommenced we go in Brooklyn he would not look at us and gave us a map of Manhattan and then said Dumbo is good and then did not tell us how to get there.

Overall this is not a terrible hotel facilities wise but our experience just shows how the staff in a hotel can ruin the whole place for you. We hated going back there every night as it felt like we were not even welcome when we were paying just as much as any of the other guests to stay there.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with one bunk bed and it was super small and the showers are shared outside of...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank NehirOyku
There are newer reviews for Pod 51 Hotel

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I ended up in this place because the company I work for booked a place last minute and did not see the shared bathroom feature. The location is in midtown and not too far from public transport. The staff is indeed quite friendly but the way the rooms are designed point you more to using it for purposes of a hotel room to spend a couple hours with someone you just met and want to get to know "better". If you have any doubts about this being the main aim of this place then the instruction of how to prepare your bed and use it at the back of the room's door leave no questions open. If a private bathroom with toilet and shower is important to you I highly suggest that you go to a different place. If you don't mind feeling like you're in less than the cell of a prison (aluminum chair and wash basin but at least a prison cell has it's own toilet) you're perfectly right here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2014

As a single traveler visiting New York for a few days, this was perfect for me. It had a very hostel-y/studenty feel to it but was very reasonably priced and in a great location for visiting the city. Overall there are good and bad points to staying here.

The good:
- Fantastic location. The hotel is walking distance to Central Park, Rockefeller Plaza and Times Square (but without any of the flashing lights or street noise). It is also 2 minutes away from a subway station with easy access to 3 main lines, and there are plenty of really nice places to eat (try ess-a bagel around the corner).
- Although the showers are shared they are very good, and I never had to wait to use one. You get towels and toiletries. There is also a sink in the room so if you just want to quickly wash up there's no need to use the shared bathroom.
- There's a safe in the room, free wifi, the TV works, the room was lovely and warm and the bed was comfortable.
- It's very clean, and the check in, bell and cleaning staff are really friendly. You can leave your bags there for a day and they can also help arrange airport transfers for you.
- Really good price for NYC, particularly single rooms.

The not-so-good:
- Ok, so the room is basically shoebox sized. Even for Manhattan (I've stayed here 3 times before). There is hardly any hanging space for clothes so I just lived out of my suitcase. This was fine for 3 or so days but would probably get a little annoying if you were there for longer. Also, I noticed the twin rooms have bunk beds so it would probably be a little cramped for two people. Having said this, in NYC you're not going to be spending that much time in the hotel room, so if you just need somewhere to sleep and dump your stuff while you explore the city, it serves its purpose.
- It's not the quietest of hotels. There wasn't any street noise, but I was surprised on the first night when I arrived at 3am and there were people running up and down the corridor shouting. Also, if you're next to a bathroom (which I was) you can hear every time the shower is on or the toilet flushes. This didn't bother me that much, but would not be good if you were a light sleeper or wanted to go to bed early.
- The bedding puzzled me. No duvet! An old fashioned blanket-and-sheets system and only one pillow. Was perfectly warm, and they made it every day, I just thought this was odd.

I would definitely consider staying here again if it was just me, but if going with a friend or my other half we would probably pay a bit more for somewhere slightly more upmarket, or rent an apartment as we have done in the past.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Emma S
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Hey, you're not going to New York to spend time Ina hotel room, right? So something clean, convenient, and well priced works. And this works! Friendly staff, rooms are clean. Mind, if you're sharing you need to be on intimate terms with your roomie. The bed's against the wall, so someone has to climb over someone. And there's not a lot of privacy in the bathroom when there is only a sliding panel for the door. And the shower is full view (sorta sexy, right? Or not!).

But you can't beat the price, and the location is cool, if off the usual track a bit.

Room Tip: Go high so you're away from the street noise. But it's NYC, there's always street noise...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Daniel B
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Visited New York in January with a friend. We booked a twin room (bunk beds), the hotel is very clean and comfortable and the rooms are reasonably priced based on the fact that you are in the centre of New York. Initially we were slightly concerned about sharing bathrooms with other people on the same floor, we shouldn't have been. There was no problem using the bathroom, there was always one free and it was very clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.Thanks for the great stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Abi31_11
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Awesome great hotel. Room's are nice and clean. Hotel staff very friendly. Location location location. There literally is 4 BARS within very short walk. A hand full of restaurants you can walk to, 2 of them are 24 hours. Everything you need is within walking distance, name it you got. My first time in NYC and I couldn't have picked a better hotel. Thank you Pod 51.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank DetroiterGuy
Reviewed 11 February 2014

One of us was able to go to NYC for a weekend and needed a place in Manhattan to avoid constantly riding the Subway. This location was perfect! I had to be a Radio City Music Hall for an event and it was a very walkable distance, even Times Square was pretty close! Check-in was very easy and the concierge helped me print a few confirmation pages from their iPad in the lobby. I will say the Bellhop could have been more helpful in pointing out the restrooms and such.

I had a single room, so there were hall bathrooms you can use. They are for one person at a time and you use your keycard to get in. There is a little sign that says "occupied" and a small light in the rooms to show you which ones were occupied. Some rooms have bathrooms, so not that many people are using the hall baths. I never had a problem using one when I needed it.

The showers were nice and everything seems pretty clean...you do need to bring your hand towel with you though since there aren't paper towels in the bathrooms for washing hands. I would suggest a small pair of flip flops as well, I mean, it is a shower others use.

It was enough space for me for the two nights I was there. I'm short so the beds were more than long enough for me. And the housekeeping staff was very nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends