“Mid Town Manhatton for New Jersey Prices”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #224 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Mid Town Manhatton for New Jersey Prices”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

So my wife and I are in our 50's and wanted to stay in town for one night. I was focusing on staying on the other side of the river in NJ and taking a bus over, but then came across this hotel. Our rating is based on what we expected for the $$, not in comparison to our friends full room at the Hilton several blocks away.
We staying in a bunk bed room, and as you may have already read, the rooms are tiny but clean, with several shared bathroom showers down the hall. Everything went fine - no issues with the room, the bathrooms were clean, and the employees all were helpful and upbeat. For us, what really helped was a little cafe in the lobby, with an ultra fresh bowl of fruit for $6 and very fresh hot coffee for $2....with free refills!
When we were there, there were mostly younger Europeans, with a smattering of folks our age. The only thing that alarmed me at all, is I saw one full room on our floor (2nd), and it was right across from the elevator and bathrooms...if I stayed there, I would be concerned about the noise...but our room was at the end of the hall, so no issues. One other note, I got the top bunk, so if you are a tenderfoot, bring some slippers or be prepared for a little foot pain as the ladder steps are not very wide. Oh, and our mini room did come with a safe, a sink, a small area for hanging closes, and a mini desk...not bad for under $200 in the heart of Manhattan!

Room Tip: If getting a full sized room, avoid being in the central hallway across from the elevators/shared ba...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tipscorner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Pod 51 is the newer of the Pod's. It's location in the diplomatic section on the East side close to the United Nations makes for a varied and eclectic client base.
The rooms are rather small-about cruise cabin size but quite adequate for guest needs. We booked a room with a bathroom included and it was tight but livable sine we really do not spend any time in the rooms other than for sleeping. The front desk, bellmen and concierge are very friendly and accommodating. The attached Bar and pub is not worth a visit even though you get drink vouchers.

Room Tip: Reserve a room with a bath so you don't have to walk down the hall.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pmb2934d
New York
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Staff were very friendly and found the hotel to be very clean & comfortable. The rooms were small and basic but of an excellent quality. Pop at Pod is an excellent addition too. Location is perfect for locations around mid-town and close enough to major subway lines -and connections at Grand Central to be incredibly convenient.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Stephen T
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Pod Hotel is exactly what it sounds like: a place with a bunch of very small, pod-like rooms. It's fine if you need to stay in this area and don't have a lot of money. Frankly there's not a ton of cheap options around here.

The rooms are really like a traincar. Long and narrow with barely enough room for a suitcase. The sink is in the same room as the bed, and the bathroom is just right there, barely hidden by a sliding door. If you're bringing a date back here, well, it's going to be a tight fit!

I stayed here for business and the location was the main priority. Very happy with it for that, as I could walk to the office I was working at. Unfortunately, if you have a room at the front of the building, you are going to be subjected to all of the city noise. It's noisy, all night. There is a bar downstairs, too, so that doesn't help with the volume.

The entire place has a nice, updated, modern design. The lobby is also quite nice and there's a little cafe inside if you need to get a coffee or whatever. I didn't try the breakfast here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BanhRan
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed 5 nights on a business trip and, although the hotel was non-smoking, on 2 nights cigarette smoke leaked in through the gap in the bottom of the door. Also, the door stopped little, if any, sound from the hall so expect sleep disturbance. The room's small size, with matching small and immobile TV and quirky cable, is about what one would expect in London. The I dealt with were great, but only other thing this hotel has going for it is the mid-town location close to two subay lines.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnB45095
Modena, Italy
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was on business and stayed at Pod 51 Hotel for a week. I really enjoyed my stay and found it had everything I was looking for. The location was fantastic, only a few minutes' walk from two metro stops and at a walking distance from MoMa, Empire State Building, Grand Central Station and other places. On 51st street there are many restaurants where you can go, or you can find other solutions on 3rd Avenue too (where there is also a Starbucks nearby where to have a quick coffee or breakfast).

The room (I got the Queen one with bathroom) was bigger than expected, really clean and modern and had everything I was looking for and I needed: comfortable bed, WiFi, hairdryer, towels, storage room (both hangers and drawers underneath the bed), iPod/iPhone Dock, desk and chair. I asked for information and directions several times and they were always polite and quick.

I also loved the rooftop balcony, with a great view especially at night!

I will definitely come here again every time I go back to NYC, either on business or on holiday!

Room Tip: I prefer rooms on higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business