“In town for a couple of nights”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #235 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 August 2014

So I was in NYC to catch up with some family and some sightseeing, I chose the POD because it's in a good location in midtown, close to the subway and cheap!

You don't go to NYC and spend your whole time in a hotel room, which is just as well because these rooms are pretty small, POD in name, POD indeed.

The room I had is small (about two single beds wide) but big enough to get in, throw your cases in the corner, unpack a bit and get yourself down for the night. The room safe didn't work, I didn't raise it as an issue because I had nothing to steal anyway, the room was cleaned/tidied nicely and daily.

A/C excellent, a nice cool room on arrival, check in was pretty fast, I emailed ahead and advised I would be late due to my flight being delayed, got good advise from the team about getting to the hotel from JFK at that time of night.

The room had a sink but no toilet so I was using the communal bathrooms in the hallway, I was on 14 (no 13) and the shared facilities here were clean and tidy and perfectly good.

Bed was ok, I slept on it but they weren't the most comfortable sleeps I ever had.

The shared facilities are easily locked from the inside for privacy and can only be opened from the outside with a keycard. That's probably my main gripe with the POD, very easy to lock yourself out of your room after a few beers ,,,

My room had a narrow view of the city.

Outside there's a good few pubs, restaurants and it's easy to get anywhere in Manhattan from here.

I'd stay here again if it was myself, or with friends.
Would I stay here with my wife? No definitely not, I'd pay more and get more comfort and better facilities.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Rokan72

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here in October 2013 for 3 nights. We wanted to see the city and were on a budget and we could not have found a more perfect hotel for that! We chose Pod 51 over Pod 39 because the prices were a little cheaper. Pod 51 is in a GREAT location. We walked everywhere we needed to go and if it was far we'd take the subway. We stayed in a twin bunk room (again, on a budget) which was totally fine. The shared bathrooms were always clean and one was always available. We had a sink in our room so all we needed to use the shared bathrooms for were showering and using the toilet. We went out and got lunch one day and brought it back to eat on their rooftop deck- AMAZING views of the city! Everyone was very nice and helpful who we ran into working at the hotel.

This is a great hotel if you're looking to just use it to sleep. If you were going to spend any time in your hotel room, I would reccomend something with a little more room as it was pretty cramped. But, who spends all their time in their hotel room in NYC?!

We will definitely stay here again the next time we're in the Big Apple!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Molly C
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at POD 51 in December of 2013 on a long weekend trip to NYC. We were expecting the tiny room so we were not shocked by that and we also knew about the "semi-private" bathrooms as they are only separated from the room by a glass door. Make sure you are comfortable with the person you are travelling with or else you're in for a few surprises. We travelled as a couple so this was not an issue for us. We stayed in the queen room and as I said, it was small, but it was exactly what we needed for this trip. The hotel is close to everything we wanted to see, so we walked everywhere (including to the far end of Central Park) and saved ourselves from having to learn the subway system or taking cabs.

Christmas season had begun in NYC, so we were able to quickly stroll to 5th Ave and check out all of the store front displays and even see the Rockafeller Tree (simple amazing for a Christmas junkie like myself). This hotel is worth it simply based on location. We didn't need anything fancy - we were hardly in the room and out exploring most of the time! We also didn't have any problems with noise or service while we were there. We ate at the restaurant attached once as a quick break from walking around and the food was tasty and filled us up!

One perk to keep in mind if you are going to the airport is that they have a car service available to take you there - ours was about 40$ which was the same as the cab we paid for to get there and this comes with the added bonus of being able to reserve your time!

We will definitely look into staying here again when we travel back to NYC.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Macdone
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Great hotel - nothing fancy but perfectly adequate for exploring 'The Big Apple'. We booked a double room - next time I think I would book a queen room as the bed was sideways to the wall - not that this was a problem - not unless you were against the wall that is!! To be honest, the amount of time you are in your room I think its a waste of money (nice, but a waste) to have a big fancy room that you only spend a fraction of your time in - especially. Nice clean and tidy room. The sink was in the room - absolutely fine - and the shower room (which was separate!) was plenty big enough with a nice powerful shower. TV, free WiFi, safe, hairdryer etc - shame no tea/coffee facilities. There are options to share bathrooms - obviously this will make your room rate cheaper - but gone are the days of sharing - except for with my husband that is ;). The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. I must say the location of this hotel is the key - midtown and just a few blocks from 5th Avenue - once there go one way for Times Square and the other for the Empire State Building (highly recommended - even though I don't like heights - you can't go to NYC and not go up there - views to die for!!). Nice diner around the corner one way for breakfast and really good Italian around the other. All in all - very good value for money - if you're after luxury then its not for you - if you're after value for money then give it a go!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JRJ125
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel looks nice, with pop art decoration everywhere. There is music on all day long in the halls, and this gives it a nice, relaxed vibe.
The room I booked was single bed with shared bathroom.
The room itself is small, but more than enough to accommodate me and my luggage. There is a sink and mirror inside the room, and I foud it to be very helpful since I could brush my teeth, take of my contact lenses, etc., without having to leave the room. The bed was confortable and the linens were clean and new.
Sharing a bathroom is not my favorite thing on earth, but there were enough toilets on the floor and all of them were very clean.
The hotel location is great, and I'd definetely stay there again when in NYC.
The hotel staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank MarinaNM
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My room was really narrow for being "double bad room". But I was surprised by how much this hotel can do to make small room become so efficient and enjoyable to stay. Although the room face the street, but the isolation is quite good to reduce noisy. It is very clean and fancy. I like the staffs that are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was not included. There is a small "shop" where you can buy coffee and bread, and also it is easy to just go out and find restaurants. Recommended for budget travelers that wish to stay in the midtown of New York City.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com