“EXCELLENT!!!”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #225 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for 6 days while we were playing tourist in New York. This is a no frill, simple and clean hotel! the service is excellent and friendly, staff is certainly accommodating. We had a single bunk room which was compact, but cozy, it was convenient that it had a sink in the room. shared washrooms were not a big deal as there were 4 available for the floor we were on, but we never had a problem with the sharing of these facilities. The rooms were cleaned and made up daily as were the washrooms....!!! Air Conditioning was a bonus, considering the humidity
it was fairly central, a little further from Times Square, however this really wasn't an issue as in New York, you basically walk everywhere! I would certainly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to spend some quality tourist time in New York with having to worry about paying for an expensive room in which you are not there half the time anyways.!! I would definitely stay there again!! 5 Stars!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ilona T
BrianRaughton, Guest Relations Manager at Pod 51 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

We are so glad you enjoyed your say at Pod 51. The next time you plan on staying at Pod 51, please shoot me a quick email so we can take care of your next reservation.

Bryan Raughton, bryan@thepodhotel.com

There are newer reviews for Pod 51 Hotel

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Booked through Hotels.com (160$), the bunk bed room with shared bathroom was clean. I drove to Manhattan and parked (25$/day) by the East river (5 minute walk from Pod51). Shared bathroom looked like cleaning personel would check on it every 1 or 2 hours, very clean, just use flipflop in shower. I liked the ambiance music in the hallways and bathrooms. Lobby was indeed under renovations but it didn't bother us at all. If you have to use the subway, make sure you get precise infos on how to travel in subway, I had to go to Yankee stadium, straignt line from 51st-Lexington but had to change from line 6 to 4 at 125th. Not the same pattern on the way back. TV for each bunk bed but cable reception was poor. No prob with WIFI. I would recommand to friends, was actualy recommanded by my brother. I travelled with my son (15 yo). There is a bar next to lobby but didn't go to it. Restaurants and food markets (2nd avenue) are closeby. Among the hotel neighbours: consulats, police and fire stations. Very safe neighbourhood! This hotel was chosen mainly to avoid transportation during our 3 night stay, so considering hotel and parking prices I spent my time walking, shopping and seeing NY instead of travelling the train/subway to get to Mid-town Manhattan.

Room Tip: Bunk bed room is narrow, it is a good choice if you don't spend time in the room. Ours was a cor...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2014

If you've booked a Pod you should know what you've signed up to - it's budget accommodation, but it's budget accommodation with style. We booked our room via Hotels.Com and paid $163 a night for a bunk bed room. A NYC resident told me that this is rather high for the time of year.

On balance we felt that we got what we paid for - a clean, comfortable, good sized room within walking distance of some great places to eat and a subway station. The bathrooms, whilst communal, were perfectly well appointed and mostly tidy (when they weren't it was more to do with with our fellow guests - and on that subject, is it really difficult to flush a toilet after you've used it?)

The only complaint that we'd have is that the wifi service struggled to make it to our room at the end of a corridor on the sixth floor. This meant that we spent a fair amount of time in the coffee shop in the lobby to catch up on emails and check in on Facebook - would be better for Pod if we could have had better access to write good things about them!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
BrianRaughton, Guest Relations Manager at Pod 51 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your 4 star review of our hotel! We appreciate your constructive feedback. I’m sorry that your experience wasn’t as positive a one as we hope for all our guests to experience here at The Pod 51 Hotel. We are constantly looking for ways to improve upon our guest’s experience and welcome any suggestions. We are totally replacing the WIFI system and lines running into the hotel - this should speed things up for the whole hotel. Your business is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please don’t hesitate to contact me at your convenience at bryan@thepodhotel.com to discuss how we can make your next stay with us more enjoyable.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed for a week whilst working in NYC.
Excellent location.
Room was small but comfortable and was cleaned daily and to a high standard.
Lobby was undergoing renovation but was always clean as we'll.
Only downside was the rather unfriendly staff but maybe that is just New York!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BubalooDJ

I am sorry to hear about the service you received during your stay at the Pod 51. Our service is what set us apart from some of the other hotels in New York, and I am disappointed to hear you did you not get to experience that. At Pod, our job is to make your travel experience a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable during your time in New York. Please feel free to contact me directly so we can discuss more in depth about your stay with us. My email is bryan@thepodhotel.com

Reviewed 22 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Simon H
BrianRaughton, Guest Relations Manager at Pod 51 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I am coming to this hotel since the 70ties, in 1970 I paid only 20.- $ for the room now a little bit more but the quality offered for a low rate is excellent. I love the place. It is modern, funcional , equipped with WiFi in the rooms although difficult to get depending of the location of your room.
Close to 6 and E train and 8 minutes from Bloomingdale walking!!

Room Tip: for good WiFi reception in the room check with reception
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel customer service was horrible, and the manager very unpleasant . Had to pay for an upgrade once arriving for a reservation that was already paid for with the hotel manager not accommodating at all. We paid an extra 140! The hotel is undergoing construction, the rooms are tiny , there is NO parking , the elevators are super tiny, take a while and are not ventilated. The location was great tho, next to the subways .

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Tina D

I am sorry that the original room you booked was not to your liking. Correct, there are fees for room upgrades depending on your room type and the upgrade requested.

Our Pod 51 lobby construction is nearly done, we are sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused. Yes, our rooms, elevator and hallways are tiny - thus we are named The Pod Hotel. We do not offer parking, but we do have a $5.00 a day discount with Icon Parking - one block away from the hotel.

If you travel back through NYC, please contact me in advance and I will make sure you are booked into the correct room type to suit your needs. I am also bringing up elevator ventilation issue with our contractors before they finish the lobby work and make sure that gets looked into. You can reach me at bryan@thepodhotel.com.

Regards,